What's new

Sensible or cheap bastard?

Over the last few weeks I've realized I can get another extremely good lather if I "squeeze" out the brush onto my hand for the last pass and then applying this to the face. I haven't really seen this being a thing so I am wondering if (1) my lathering technique is subpar (I do splay a bit so the lather does get "down there") or (2) my brush doesn't quite give up its goods optimally (Muhle silver tip badger (traditional).. seems fancy pants enough?) .. or perhaps (3) this is all normal and I am just being a cheapskate about lather ? What say ye?

Regards
Avi

Using all of what you pay for is not being cheap. It's called being smart.
I take about an almond size of high-grade shave soap or cream in a lather bowl, make a great lather in a bowl and after a two-pass shave, scrape the residual back in the lather bowl for the next shave. It drys overnight and is just as good as new the next shave. I get three or four two-pass shaves from the same amount of cream or soap some people get only one.
It makes no sense to me to flush good shaves ($) down the sink but it's their money and they are free to spend it as they wish.

I have seen several folks that squeeze out the lather after bowl lathering so they can have access to all of it, so you're not alone there and you might as well use what you make, even if it's 'stuck' in the knot!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I never used to do this until I read a similar post when I first joined the forum. I do it all the time now as my last pass is ATG and I have found that surprisingly this helps with me completing the final pass. Not a silly thing at all IMHO.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I normally shower after shaving and squeeze any excess lather out of the brush and rub it into my scalp and body. It contains many skin conditioning ingredients so I use them. I leave them on while I clean my razor and brush and then shower. If my wife is about to shower then I rub the excess lather into her body instead 😀 She likes MWF for the beneficial skin effects. I strongly recommend this method 👍

That's why I prefer synthetic brushes, they seem to release the lather more easily.. I do you use the leftover lather to wash my face and it's often high quality stuff!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We're on septic, so I don't put any more soap down there than I have to.

Besides, leftover lather in the bowl - dries to look like snow - rehydrates instantly and can make some great combinations. Cooling Proraso green with a lemon soap, etc.

AA

Not cheap. I do this after every shave. I will do a WTG & XTG, then will use excess soap in brush to clean up any areas and then leave the lather on my face (esp tallow based soaps) while I clean out brush and razor, then wipe off and rinse.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Yep, I always squeeze out the brush to lather for touch ups. You worked for that later! Use it all!

Reactions: Avi
I do this sometimes too sometimes it's really thick sometimes it's watery, it kind of depends on the variables.
I've never really left any in the bowl but I might have to try that. Soap it dries up and then rehydrates with no problem the next shave, yeah let's see. Hey whatever works

• Love
Reactions: Avi
Top Bottom