What's new

Semouge 1250

What is the total wooden handle height of this brush - not counting the metal ring at this base of the hair? If possible - could you tell me in inches instead of mm? Some sites say 57mm some say 56mm , and some 53mm?

Lucky day - I just so happen to have these two things in front of me.

Standing the brush on end and using a machinist ruler, I get 2.25" from the bottom of the handle up to the metal ring. The metal ring itself adds about another 3/32" or so (ALL measurements are within a whisper but surely not exact).

And running a quick Google conversion I can see that this is roughly 57mm. These are,I believe, mostly handmade items so surely some tolerance is at play here. Keep in mind that the difference between 56mm and 57mm is less than 2% tolerance so for all purposes both answers are correct (to me).

And running a quick Google conversion I can see that this is roughly 57mm. These are,I believe, mostly handmade items so surely some tolerance is at play here. Keep in mind that the difference between 56mm and 57mm is less than 2% tolerance so for all purposes both answers are correct (to me).
Thanks Mike!! So how is the flow through on these brushes?

Thanks Mike!! So how is the flow through on these brushes?

Mine's still breaking in, but I have it sitting in a rotation with an SOC and a 1470. It's the the middle size in that group and I think it may be the best balanced. The 1470 is a great little scrubby face lathering brush and the SOC is just luxurious. I primarily use the SOC for bowl lathering at this point.

The 1250 may well be my favorite based on size alone. The handle is very similar to a slightly scaled down SOC. The knot diameter and loft are about perfect - I find that where the other two excel at either ends of the spectrum the 1250 just works. I have about 6 or 8 shaves on it and it is taking a little longer to break in that the SOC did (different grade of bristle).

As for flow through I may not be the best to ask. I do a two pass shave every morning (WTG and XTG) and have never had any issues coming up short on lather. The extra loft of the 1250 vs. the 1470 gives a noticeable surplus of lather in the brush. I might say that the denser SOC has a more difficult time releasing lather but it's sheer size makes up for this. I primarily use Tabac puck or La Toja stick depending on my mood and have never had a problem with either - I tend to load heavy and the brushes give it right back up. The 1250, like the others, was well enough to use right out of the box and is simply getting better with time. It's actually up for my shave tomorrow morning~

Top Bottom