What's new

Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine

As promised, I have a short review of my new SOC Mistura which has newly arrived from Portugal.

Shipping time was only about 14 days which greatly exceeded my expectations given the current global situation. The seller quoted up to 45 days and I was very pleased when this showed up on my doorstep, complete with complimentary brush stand, in only a matter of weeks. The price disparity between domestic sellers and international meant that I was willing to be patient to save a few bucks as I truly "did not need this brush" lol.

Out of the box this Semogue brush is incredibly attractive with Taj handle and had no offensive smell to speak of. My new Semogue brushes tend to have a smell reminiscent of moth balls when new which leads me to believe that a highly effective chemical process is used to treat all brushes before leaving the factory. A quick cleaning with Dawn detergent left the brush ready for use and only a single hair shed.

I have used this brush twice and unsurprisingly find the performance sits between my SOC boar and SOC finest badger brushes. It is noticeably softer even fresh out of the box than the two-band yet has more backbone than it's boar counterparts which tend to go a bit "mop-like" after break in. Face feel is fantastic. It is extremely soft with just enough back bone to be controllable on the face. It did eat some lather leaving a stingy third pass on my initial use but this is a problem I expect to go away in short order.

I think this may be the perfect balance between the lovely SOC boar brushes and the somewhat scrubby two-band offerings. Where I love to use my boar brushes with Italian croaps I often wish they were a little more firm and controllable. The SOC badger had a fair bit of scritch for the initial 6 or so uses and works a charm with my Tabac puck, but lacks the soft face feel of a well broken in boar. The Mistura performs incredibly out of the box and with time will only get better. The ivory colored Taj handle is objectively the best looking of the bunch and my gut feeling is that this brush will shape up to be a favorite!

My experience with the SOC Mistura and SOC 2 band matches yours. I'm an optimist - I'm still working on breaking in the 2 band. It still has a very strong backbone. It's in a three brush rotation so it will take some time.

My experience with the SOC Mistura and SOC 2 band matches yours. I'm an optimist - I'm still working on breaking in the 2 band. It still has a very strong backbone. It's in a three brush rotation so it will take some time.

The two-band definitely softened up after a handful of uses, but fresh out of the box I was not impressed. This is my first badger and I did not expect the amount of backbone and scritch that was present on the first use. I have broken in many a boar brush and am no stranger to stiff bristles but it was quite an experience with the new badger. I actually enjoy it immensely now and it really highlights the floppiness of some of my higher lofted boars and Semogue offerings. At this point I use it primarily with triple milled pucks and do enjoy it but have gone back to primarily using boars and croaps. The Mistura brush had none of the uncomfortable face feel present even when new and I believe after 20 or so uses will be the best performing brush in my collection.

Count me in as an SOC Mistura fan. Just used mine (with Taj handle) today, only on maybe its third use and it’s already performing brilliantly. I’ll probably grab one in butterscotch soon.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The SOC Mistura is a really fine brush. Every time I use it I like it more.

Lather monster!

Very pleasant brush in all respects.​
11-13-20.El Fantasma.vitos.Mistura.640.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
11-2-20.Executive#5.SOC-Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

This is a truly excellent brush in all respects, this Semogue SOC Mistura. It was the best straight out of the box brush I've tried. It's improved since then. Semogue nailed it.

Unfortunately it's not available in 26 mm. That's my only gripe about it, and it's a minor complaint.

It's soft but has great great backbone and presence. It has marvelous scrub. It is truly unbeatable at building lather rapidly and well (the very scritchy Omega Mixed Midget is in the same league in that department). It has no scritch that I notice. It's developing lots of split ends (unlike my Maggard 70/30). It has shed not a single hair or bristle (unlike my Maggard 70/30).

Great brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This is a truly excellent brush in all respects, this Semogue SOC Mistura. It was the best straight out of the box brush I've tried. It's improved since then. Semogue nailed it.

Unfortunately it's not available in 26 mm. That's my only gripe about it, and it's a minor complaint.

It's soft but has great great backbone and presence. It has marvelous scrub. It is truly unbeatable at building lather rapidly and well (the very scritchy Omega Mixed Midget is in the same league in that department). It has no scritch that I notice. It's developing lots of split ends (unlike my Maggard 70/30). It has shed not a single hair or bristle (unlike my Maggard 70/30).

I totally agree. Before they started the SOCs i asked for a larger mixed knot after using the caravela and 2012 SE. they said no plans for that.

Ive been using the 70/30 too and it took a while to break in well. What size is your 70/30?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I totally agree. Before they started the SOCs i asked for a larger mixed knot after using the caravela and 2012 SE. they said no plans for that.

Ive been using the 70/30 too and it took a while to break in well. What size is your 70/30?

What's a while?

Mine's a 26 mm. I've been using it since April. For a while I took it completely out of the rotation and did an intensive offline break in process. I can't say it hasn't improved (broken in) a little bit, but very little. It's to the point I don't hate it, but it's far from the brush I expected it to be.

Loose bristles are lost with every shave. They've quite annoying. I see zero split ends. I suspect Maggard went with the El Cheapo option and sold me trimmed bristles which will never develop split ends. As I said, zero split ends.

Hopefully my knot is an outlier and yours is perfect.

Fortunately I have the excellent Mistura which is what the 70/30 isn't and should be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The only bigger (26 mm) mixed knot Semogue had, I believe, was the 2019 Barbear Classico Limited Edition.

09DEA5B9-31AD-434F-B1C3-73B8CE26176F.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1606931902843.png

The only bigger (26 mm) mixed knot Semogue had, I believe, was the 2019 Barbear Classico Limited Edition.

⬆ From the Department of Rubbing It In...

I regret not ordering this ⬆ brush when there were two or three left to order. The handle turned me off. I should have purchased it ⬆ and then maybe changed the handle for one I liked better if I found doing so necessary.

Had I known what a great knot the Mistura was I would have surely have gone that route. But, I failed to purchased this ⬆ knot in this ⬆ brush. Now there are no more.

I agree; it's the only 26 mm Mistura I've seen and I've looked. Of course I'm no Semogue expert; far from it.

Live and learn.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reactions: DSR
View attachment 1189600

⬆ From the Department of Rubbing It In...

I regret not ordering this ⬆ brush when there were two or three left to order. The handle turned me off. I should have purchased it ⬆ and then maybe changed the handle for one I liked better if I found doing so necessary.

Had I known what a great knot the Mistura was I would have surely have gone that route. But, I failed to purchased this ⬆ knot in this ⬆ brush. Now there are no more.

I agree; it's the only 26 mm Mistura I've seen and I've looked. Of course I'm no Semogue expert; far from it.

Live and learn.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Sorry, not trying to rub it in...
Hopefully Semogue will make another 26 mm mixed knot brush in the near future.

They’ve gradually expanded their range over the last year or two, including more mixed knot brushes (SOC with a few handle options, then Torga C5, etc), and one or two limited editions every year.
They know their mixed knot is very popular, and I believe the 2019 LE sold out fairly quickly, so they realise they would easily sell another 26 mm mixed knot brush.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
What's a while?

Mine's a 26 mm. I've been using it since April. For a while I took it completely out of the rotation and did an intensive offline break in process. I can't say it hasn't improved (broken in) a little bit, but very little. It's to the point I don't hate it, but it's far from the brush I expected it to be.

Loose bristles are lost with every shave. They've quite annoying. I see zero split ends. I suspect Maggard went with the El Cheapo option and sold me trimmed bristles which will never develop split ends. As I said, zero split ends.

Fortunately I have the excellent Mistura which is what the 70/30 isn't and should be.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Soak it in cold water to hydrate the bristles. Then dunk in boiling water. The tips will likely split.

View attachment 1189528

Great brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I continue to be amazed by my SOC Mistura, as well. It really is everything I could ever need in a brush. If I can get it through my head to enjoy possessing rather than chasing, this brush will be the reason.

Sorry, not trying to rub it in...
Hopefully Semogue will make another 26 mm mixed knot brush in the near future.

They’ve gradually expanded their range over the last year or two, including more mixed knot brushes (SOC with a few handle options, then Torga C5, etc), and one or two limited editions every year.
They know their mixed knot is very popular, and I believe the 2019 LE sold out fairly quickly, so they realise they would easily sell another 26 mm mixed knot brush.
From the Department of Rubbing It In, Pouring Salt In the Wound Division

I tried to tell @Chan Eil Whiskers to order one of the few remaining 2019 LE Barbear Classico brushes featuring the 26mm Mistura knot. I believe I even showed him a picture. Alas my pleas fell on deaf ears. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink. Ignorance is bliss etc. etc. So I am forced to take solace in possessing No. 62/100 and its graceful barrel shaped handle which Jim most grievously disparages.

What's a while?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim,

mines definitely not a perfect knot. It is not as similar a knot to the semogue as i had hoped, but it seems to work well. I’d like to set it a bit deeper than it is right now.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Soak it in cold water to hydrate the bristles. Then dunk in boiling water. The tips will likely split.

proxy.php

I don't hate my Maggard 70/30.

Yes, I know people do extreme things to boars to "make them" break in. Perhaps people are right in what they do. It's not like I've done those sorts of things so I don't actually know anything about whether they are damaging, especially in the long run.

I kinda think they are though.

I'm also a bit embarrassed to claim any form of empathy for a dead pig or dead badger which died to give me another shaving brush, but, to the degree such a thing might exist and I might possess a tad of it, it pains me to think about dunking my knots in boiling water.

That said I probably already use (albeit very briefly) soaking water hotter than most experts advise. It's only a bit hotter than I could stand for a shower, but I could stand it as a shower were that shower as brief as the hot brush soaking time.

My brushes are first soaked in very warm but not really hot water while I shower. Right before loading 'em up, and using them, I pour out half the brush soaking water and add hot tap water in its place, but only for seconds. Maybe thirty seconds max I think. I also check the water temperature with my finger as a courtesy to my brushes.

Sorry, but can't go that route. Also can't rub my boars on the sidewalk as someone advised. He said it worked great and didn't seem to do any damage.

I don't know.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom