What's new

Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Twins:

MisturaTwins2.jpg

Is there anywhere for one of these to be had at a 1) not crazy price or 2) at a not crazy price?

I was interested in the plain 90% white boar, not badger or mixed.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Is there anywhere for one of these to be had at a 1) not crazy price or 2) at a not crazy price?

I was interested in the plain 90% white boar, not badger or mixed.
Look at the Portuguese factory website. Great prices imo.

Reactions: CCS
Look at the Portuguese factory website. Great prices imo.
I have but I can't figure out the shipping cost to the US as well as getting the VAT tax removed. I sent them an email about this earlier this evening. Hope to hear back from them. They do take their sweet time in shipping one way or the other.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have but I can't figure out the shipping cost to the US as well as getting the VAT tax removed. I sent them an email about this earlier this evening. Hope to hear back from them. They do take their sweet time in shipping one way or the other.
Vat comes off at checkout and their basic shipping which I think was free if memory serves was unbelievable fast in the 3 or so times I ordered. Ymmv.

Vat comes off at checkout and their basic shipping which I think was free if memory serves was unbelievable fast in the 3 or so times I ordered. Ymmv.
Terrific, thanks for the info! I may just try it tomorrow. Using my Visa, I'm pretty safe placing an order and get a better exchange rate than with Paypal.

I was able to get it all sorted and the delivered price appears to be just under $36 for the SOC Taj boar. We shall see what happens! Thanks for the help.

My Mistura arrived and first thoughts out of the box - this thing is STIFF.

This is my first non-synthetic so I don't have a baseline but I guess with everyone saying how this brush doesn't really requiring a break-in period I expected it to feel a bit softer. Maybe soaking makes a huge difference.

View attachment 1510645
Give the brush a handful of wet/dry circles. The knot will bloom to some extent and will feel less stiff. The tips are supposed to be soft right from the start.

It's the mixture of soft tips and a gentle amount of backbone (stiffness) which makes this brush such a joy to use.

Be patient. I'm quite sure you'll get used to the face feel.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Give the brush a handful of wet/dry circles. The knot will bloom to some extent and will feel less stiff. The tips are supposed to be soft right from the start.

It's the mixture of soft tips and a gentle amount of backbone (stiffness) which makes this brush such a joy to use.

Be patient. I'm quite sure you'll get used to the face feel.

Plus, it'll be pretty soft just soaked and used for the first time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This is my first non-synthetic so I don't have a baseline but I guess with everyone saying how this brush doesn't really requiring a break-in period I expected it to feel a bit softer. Maybe soaking makes a huge difference.

View attachment 1510645
Don't worry, since it's 50% boar hair mixed with 50% badger hair, the knot needs to soak for several minutes at least and then it will soften up. Boar hair will also gradually become softer with use. Give it around 20-30 cycles and the brush should come into its own.

View attachment 1510645

Had my first shave with the Semogue SOC Mistura tonight. Out of the box this brush felt STIFF and not soft at all. I soaked it in warm water while I showered and it completely transformed it!

It still has a lot more backbone and scrub than my synths but it still felt soft and really nice in a different way. I look forward to seeing how it breaks in.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used one of my Misturas this morning at 6AM.... it felt wonderful on my face. I tend to like a particular genre of brushes, I discovered... gentle scrub... I don't like the synths that try to duplicate natural bristle scrub.... they feel like your getting poked with small pieces of plastic which is basically what they are... brushes like the Trafalgar T3 don't work for me, personally.... but some people love them.

Anyway, this family of brushes feel very similar... not exactly the same... but like they belong in the family... The SV Manchurians, the Zenith Manchurian and the SOC Misturas. I'm sure I'll find that some of my boars fit in as well...I've been sort of saving them for December boar month.... and have been wet/dry cycling them for weeks now. I can tell a few of them are going to be special already. I have three Zenith boars... one the unbleached black resin one with the 506 handle that I love so much. I have high hopes for all of them. I'm also hoping the Jade Omega doesn't disappoint. It doesn't feel very dense like the Zeniths do. But it could just be me...... It's the favorite among so many boar brush fans.. so I hope when I use it.. I love it too.

Top Bottom