What's new

Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine

I just received my Semogue Mistura brush in the mail. I decided to go with the butterscotch handle. I'm curious about whether this brush can be used on a daily basis like a badger brush, or whether I should give it a day-off between each use, like a badger brush. Thanks for your advice.
Though it's a great pleasure to use it on a daily basis I'd recommend to let it dry properly (36 hours at least) between uses. I treat my Misturas the same as all my quality badger brushes (extended rinsing/drying)

Besides, join in in our SOCTOBER event and give the Mistura some spins 😉

Last edited:
So many variables: humidity, storage conditions, etc...

I have used a Mistura daily at times, but generally use it in rotation. Either way is probably fine.

I have 3 Misturas in use at present (an SOC, a C3 Torga, and a BC 2013 LE), so I never have to use the same one consecutively. All are wonderful.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ve been using mine pretty exclusively since I got it (except for a summer break) fortunately I’m not shaving every day. So hopefully I’m in the clear. What are the signs and symptoms of using it every day ? Not letting it fully dry will that cause rot or something?

If you google "shaving brush care and maintenance" you'll likely get the general advise to rinse natural hair brushes properly and to let the knot fully dry prior to using it again. I don't know if I'm overthinking things, however, I don't want to have any sort of mold in one of my brushes (which might otherwise happen on the long run), that's why I'm rotate my brushes.

Sunday morning, lounging in bed with my iPad on my lap and my dog sleeping by my feet .....
Just finished reading through this marvelous (albeit, extremely long) thread ....
So, .... I ordered the Semogue SOC Mistura Cherrywood from West Coast Shaving.
Threw in a tube of Cella cream to qualify for free shipping.
Looking forward to joining this group of fine gentlemen who love this brush. :thumbup::thumbup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
According to my understanding there's no actual need to let any brush dry between uses.

There is a need to let a brush completely dry before storage in an airtight spot.

Using the same brush everyday is perfectly okay from the brush's standpoint.

According to my general mode of operation all my brushes usually dry completely between uses. That's more about meeting my needs and less about meeting the needs of the brushes which after all are tools. (Some might say toys.)

As I've mentioned before, it takes at least two weeks for a guy to be 1000% sure a given brush is 100% dry which translates into the generally agreed upon B&B mandate that one must own at least fourteen brushes.

Make sense?

BOSC.2.LogicProfessorBOSC.jpg

It should according to my logic.

Happy shaves,

Jim

As SOCtober is underway, I've been using all of my SOC brushes, including the Mistura, in a small rotation. Among those others are a recently-acquired boar, a fairly new two-band Finest, and a familiar LE silvertip. Here's what I'm noticing:

1. The boar has terrific flow-through, allowing lather to wind up on the face instead of trapped in the knot. Its lather capacity isn't all the way there yet, as it's still breaking in. The Mistura has equally good flow-through and holds more lather than any knot I own, and it's unlikely the boar will challenge it on that front, even when broken in completely.

2. The 2-band Finest has fantastic facefeel, scrubby without scritch and with plenty of tip presence, that ability to feel each individual hair rather than being a gel mop like many two-bands these days. The Mistura matches it in these respects while surpassing it in terms of flow-through. The Finest is wonderful, but it can still hold onto lather I'd like deposited on my beard, especially during later passes.

3. The silvertip is so plush, so luxurious, but still has ample backbone. It's about as good as a silvertip gets in my experience, and I could use it daily. The Mistura, though, is nearly as soft-tipped and feels just as plush because it has such a dense knot. It's soft and still provides feedback.

In short, I continue to find the Mistura the best of all possible worlds, knot-wise. I like a lot of other brushes, but I keep coming back to the Mistura. I have a BC version, and I still have the 22mm Torga C3 mistura I talked about upthread. They are different to the SOC version in some ways, but all share the soft-scrubby-efficient trifecta of brush brilliance that I prefer.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As SOCtober is underway, I've been using all of my SOC brushes, including the Mistura, in a small rotation. Among those others are a recently-acquired boar, a fairly new two-band Finest, and a familiar LE silvertip. Here's what I'm noticing:

1. The boar has terrific flow-through, allowing lather to wind up on the face instead of trapped in the knot. Its lather capacity isn't all the way there yet, as it's still breaking in. The Mistura has equally good flow-through and holds more lather than any knot I own, and it's unlikely the boar will challenge it on that front, even when broken in completely.

2. The 2-band Finest has fantastic facefeel, scrubby without scritch and with plenty of tip presence, that ability to feel each individual hair rather than being a gel mop like many two-bands these days. The Mistura matches it in these respects while surpassing it in terms of flow-through. The Finest is wonderful, but it can still hold onto lather I'd like deposited on my beard, especially during later passes.

3. The silvertip is so plush, so luxurious, but still has ample backbone. It's about as good as a silvertip gets in my experience, and I could use it daily. The Mistura, though, is nearly as soft-tipped and feels just as plush because it has such a dense knot. It's soft and still provides feedback.

In short, I continue to find the Mistura the best of all possible worlds, knot-wise. I like a lot of other brushes, but I keep coming back to the Mistura. I have a BC version, and I still have the 22mm Torga C3 mistura I talked about upthread. They are different to the SOC version in some ways, but all share the soft-scrubby-efficient trifecta of brush brilliance that I prefer.

I have some of these brushes.
  1. The SOC boar
  2. The SOC Mistura
  3. The TSN LE 3 Band Silvertip.
I do not have and haven't used the finest.

Whether I should buy the 2 band finest has long been a consideration for me. I've not decided whether to acquire one or not. I have a good many good to great two bands and several Manchurians. I also prefer to use brushes larger than these 24 mm knots.

The Mistura is wonderful. I think maybe the LE 3 band is my favorite 3 band.

Happy shaves,

Jim

After about half a dozen shaves with this beauty, I am convinced that it just may be one of the best values out there. Truly, a magnificent brush, that simply seems to do everything right ! Face lathering, bowl/scuttle lathering, soaps, creams … all pretty darn perfect !

3FEC6639-6EE3-43F8-AF5C-0021DAC7E2B2.jpeg

Something seems to be wrong with your SOC boar, Hannes (@Multum in parvo). It's normally supposed to be bloomed out to roughly a 80mm hemisphere, with bristles flying every which way, like it's having a bad hair day. Your brush is so orderly.

30e02593-9b63-4219-ab58-35b312a28776-jpeg.1352293

:confused1
late reply...
I guess it is still not fully broken in and I try to not overly splay it anyway.
Also only the Finest in the middle is bloomed (pic when I received it). The other 2 are dry.

I've found Semogue boars can be "trained" by storing them in a tube for a little while. The knot takes on a nice conical shape.
Thanks, that's a great idea!

And I'll jump into this thread finally. I picked up these 3 brushes at Pasteur's last week. And the Torga C5 I just acquired off the BST. I've been loving the journey through boars & am just getting into the mixed badger/boar. I predict I'm going to like both Semogue Mistura's as well as the Omega Mixed Midget. The Mistura has a lovely feel, of softness yet with an underlying firmness... delightful!!! And that Mixed Midget is about as big around as a quarter, & about 2 inches tall. But after a couple of uses, it's going to be a fun brush. The Omega 11137, with the wood-handle, is an unbleached 24mm. I especially like unbleached boars, but I think it may be too high lofted, for me. But I look forward to deciding that after many shaves.

And thank you to all of the previous posters for keeping this thread relevant. I've read on this thread numerous times through the months. Getting differing thoughts helps us all. Or, as some would say... we convince each other why we need one, too!
IMG_1049.jpg

Top Bottom