What's new

Semogue Owners Club with a white Handle?

Good morning gents!

It has been a while sense I have posted or participated, but I have caught the bug again. I will probably be pulling the trigger on some MWF any day now. But all that aside, I found something rather peculiar today. I was looking at brushes today and found myself on eBay viewing Semogue Owners Club brushes. (Prefer to get my stuff from West Coast Shaving to support a shaving supplier in my region.) While looking around I found some Semogue Owners Club brushes, both boar and badger, with white handles with the description of “taj” where the wood is usually listed.

Is there anyone who has seen this before? Or, anyone who has info about this new handle option?

Link for your inquiries: Semogue Owners Club SOC (Taj/Blend) Shaving Brush - Official Semogue Dealer 5608030001087 | eBay

I saw these white handle SOC's when I was recently alerted to the SOC Cherry Wood 2-band badgers selling for just under $60 on Amazon. My first instinct is "Wow, great deal!"... but then I was thinking who is this seller that is able to crush Maggard and West Coast Shaving who both sell the brush for $95... Also cheaper than the Euro retailers Vintage Scent or Gifts and Care who usually come in around $70 + shipping, depending on currency exchange rates. I smell a rat... Possible counterfeit? Don't know. Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Portuguese Factory is legit. On Amazon, when Portuguese Factory lists SOCs, Smallflower and others meet those prices or beat them a few cents. When Portuguese Factory is out of stock and not listing SOCs on Amazon, Smallflower and others raise their prices by a good bit.

Under 50 on the bay at Portuguese Factory free shipping, I may take the hit, dunno yet, still chewing. Still waiting on the Omega from Connaught.

You’ll love the Connaught. It has quickly risen to the top of my boar collection. Even $50 seems like a lot for a boar brush in my opinion. I was not sure about the Connaught at $30 US. I have 3 other boars and paid $15 for one and $10 for each of the other two. At this point I’m set for brushes now.

I see this as great move by Semogue. The brush will appeal to those who like the SOC handle but prefer resin to wood. I'm definitely in for one in two-band when they arrive in the USA at BullGoose.

You’ll love the Connaught. It has quickly risen to the top of my boar collection. Even $50 seems like a lot for a boar brush in my opinion. I was not sure about the Connaught at $30 US. I have 3 other boars and paid $15 for one and $10 for each of the other two. At this point I’m set for brushes now.
I understand your feelings brother but I've found that " At this point I'm set for brushes now " to require more self discipline than I seem able to muster. I will save this post for reference however for when you post a photo of your next wonderful brush. Hahaha...Be well my friend

With these new white resin handles, a new type of SOC has been released. So now you have SOC boar, SOC mix badger & boar and SOC badger.
So in fact there are now 9 variants, 3 types of handle and 3 types of hair.

I heard nothing but good things about the mixed badger and boar knots. A bit more backbone than badger, and yet equally soft.

FullSizeRender.jpg

...I gave the SOC Taj Mixed Boar & Badger a whirl for the first time today; clearly the knot needs to relax and open-up a bit for me to give any objective feedback but initial impressions are really positive. I have a SOC 2b in Cherry which is already a favourite in my rotation; the resin handle feels even better in the hand, slightly more weight. A boar brush with a wooden handle is not an ideal recipe if you like to soak the whole brush in the sink whilst showering - I do...

What is the loft on the mixed knot? The low loft has always been my problem with the SOC 2 band badger, wish it was 2-3 mm higher so the knot would splay a little more.

What is the loft on the mixed knot? The low loft has always been my problem with the SOC 2 band badger, wish it was 2-3 mm higher so the knot would splay a little more.

The Brush is:

Knot: 24mm – 15/16’’
Loft: 53mm - 2 1/8’’
Handle Height: 57mm - 2 ¼’’
Handle Bottom Diameter: 39mm - 1 ½’’
Handle Diameter in Narrowest Part: 30mm - 1 3/16’’
Total Height: 113mm – 4 ½’’

The Brush is:

Knot: 24mm – 15/16’’
Loft: 53mm - 2 1/8’’
Handle Height: 57mm - 2 ¼’’
Handle Bottom Diameter: 39mm - 1 ½’’
Handle Diameter in Narrowest Part: 30mm - 1 3/16’’
Total Height: 113mm – 4 ½’’
That should make it right between the 2 band badger @ 51 mm and the boar @ 55 mm. Probably perfect! Maybe one of these is on my future.

I have been pretty inactive on the forums for sometime, but I pulled the trigger on the mixed knot. I love my mini mixed knot Omega for travel. If this is anything near that but just bigger it will become a cult favorite. Great handle shape and good all around size. I love both boar and Badger just switch around depending on the soaps and how i want to lather.

Top Bottom