What's new

Semogue Owners Club (SOC) boar - handle question

Dear all:

I will add a SOC boar brush to my wishlist for X-mas - but which handle shall I choose? I like the wood ones, they look very nice. But does the wood handle look the same after, say, a year of use?

(Background: My first brush (a very cheap badger) had a wood handle and it looked quite worn out after only a short time of use although I dried it thoroughly after each use).

Thanks for your help, have a great Sunday, Mycroft

Depending on how you treat it, I can't see any reason why not going for a wood handle.
I love natural materials, and in my experience, if you treat it nice, it will treat you likewise.

I have all the SOC variations, and can say; I like the resin handles, but absolutely love the wooden handles, the feel is just so different (at least to me :001_smile).
Personally I find the cherry wood to be the nicest to look at, because of the grains, but you won't feel any difference between the cherry and ash handles in your hand.

If possible (I know a Christmas wish-list can be financially limited) then I would highly recommend the boar/badger knot, it is in my humble opinion better than both the pure boar and the pure badger - I think this mixed knot is the best knot Semogue has ever produced.

My favorite boar brush of all time. There are very well priced SOC cherry and ash wood handled boar brushes on the BST as we type..

Ahhhh.. Nuts. In any case, my wooden SOC handle looks great after several years of use (although it is not used every day or even every week). I would not let that feature dissuade you..

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I hardly use mine but the wood handles are very nice. I cant see it not holding up with frequent use

I have had mine (Cherry) for over five years. If anything, it looks better now than when new. The color has gotten richer over the years.

Depending on how you treat it, I can't see any reason why not going for a wood handle.
I love natural materials, and in my experience, if you treat it nice, it will treat you likewise.

I have all the SOC variations, and can say; I like the resin handles, but absolutely love the wooden handles, the feel is just so different (at least to me :001_smile).
Personally I find the cherry wood to be the nicest to look at, because of the grains, but you won't feel any difference between the cherry and ash handles in your hand.

If possible (I know a Christmas wish-list can be financially limited) then I would highly recommend the boar/badger knot, it is in my humble opinion better than both the pure boar and the pure badger - I think this mixed knot is the best knot Semogue has ever produced.
+1 on the Badger/Boar Knot. And this from a guy who really likes his SOC Boar Brush. Mine has the Cherry Handle. You can't go wrong with Semogue so get the brush that fit's the budget at this time.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

+1 on the Badger/Boar Knot. And this from a guy who really likes his SOC Boar Brush. Mine has the Cherry Handle. You can't go wrong with Semogue so get the brush that fit's the budget at this time.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
Thanks, Clayton.

I’ve got cherry boar and 2 band that are both about 7 yrs old. They’re holding up just fine, and look no worse for the wear.

I think I have about 5 Semogue Owners’ Club (SOC) brushes, bought several years ago, and neither the ash or cherry handles show any sign of degradation.

However, I once was given a small Semogue made brush with a painted wooden handle as a freebie with an order I had placed and on that one the paint started peeling off after a few months.

So I may not buy a Semogue brush with painted wooden handle, but all other Semogues - including wooden SOC brushes in either ash or cherry wood - seems to stand the test of time and I would buy them anytime again.
In my book, both the boar and badger Semogue Owner’s Club brushes represent an outstanding value.

As I have not seen any difference in life expectancy between ash and cherry Semogue Owners’ Club brushes, I would make it strictly a question of which kind of wood appeals more to me.

B

Top Bottom