What's new

Semogue Hereditas Knot Grade Info?

Hiya folks! I promise I used Google AND the search function before I made this thread and couldn't find what I was looking for (but if the answer is sitting somewhere in plain sight, feel free to just point me in the right direction).

Once upon a time Semogue had pretty clear specs established for all their knots under the old Excelsior badge, like the Best 90% Tops / Extra 75% Tops / etc. grades of knots. Under their new Hereditas badges they seem to have changed the knots in a lot of their brushes, but I haven't been able to find any literature explaining what the new grading system means.

Has anybody found any solid info on the new grades yet? Eg. is the new Extra the same grade as the old Extra 75% Tops but without the dyed stripe (thus meaning that all the old Best 90% brushes have been downgraded in quality)?

Bump, as I'm also confused. This picture is all I have to go on and if I'm reading it right the 1460 and 1470 and now different grades of hair, rather than one simply having a painted handle.
Is it Extra Premium > Premium > Extra? Or Premium > Extra Premium > Extra?

semogue_comparative.jpg

The 620 (1438) is generally considered softer than the 610 (1470). So that would put Extra IT > Extra/Premium. At least that's my take.

Even the graphic above is somewhat outdated - I believe it was put together while they were still selling out old stock and bringing in new brushes. The 1250 is now just listed as Extra by most sellers.

AFAIK the current Extra and Extra IT/IB are the same knot except that IT has the dyed stripe (and thus the tips have had an extra round of bleaching). I'm not sure what the difference is between the Extra Premium and the Premium.

Even the graphic above is somewhat outdated - I believe it was put together while they were still selling out old stock and bringing in new brushes. The 1250 is now just listed as Extra by most sellers.

AFAIK the current Extra and Extra IT/IB are the same knot except that IT has the dyed stripe (and thus the tips have had an extra round of bleaching). I'm not sure what the difference is between the Extra Premium and the Premium.
Hello there,
I am also trying to figure this out.
if you manage to find out anything meaningful could you please update this thread with it ?
Thanks!

Okay. I surveyed the most trustworthy Semogue dealer websites; they don't all agree on all the details but the ones that are the most up-to-date are pretty consistent. It APPEARS that (as of the day I post this) this is the current Semogue boar brush lineup, sorted by Knot Grade then Knot Size then Brush model.

1634053039780.png

Notes:
  • "Extra" is likely the same as the old Extra 75% tops grade - typical bristle quality, about 75% of the tips reach the top of the knot. "Extra IT" is the same knot plus the stripe.
  • "Best" is likely the same as the old Best 90% tops grade - same bristles as Extra, just tied more orderly with more bristles reaching the top of the knot. Looks like it's only available on the 1470 now; some of the less-reliable sites still say it's on the 1250 but I suspect they're wrong.
  • "Premium" is likely the same as the old Premium 90% tops grade - better-sorted / more consistent bristle quality, about 90% of the bristles reaching the top of the knot. "Premium IT" is the same knot plus the stripe. One website is calling this grade Extra Premium but I think that's a misnomer.
  • "Premium, Select" is likely unchanged. Well-sorted, consistent, high quality bristles, 90% tops, and tied denser than the standard Premium knot.
If anybody has better info direct from Semogue (cough Leon cough) feel free to chime in.

Bought a 610 Hereditas a few months ago just to have a good boar in the rotation, but I love it so much that I keep going back to it every night. I've got a Simpsons Chubby 2 Super and a Duke 2 best that are really nice, but they just don't seem to be able to prepare my face for a shave while making a fantastic lather like the Semogue. Love this brand. That's all. Carry on...

PXL_20211013_033550426.PORTRAIT.jpg

Top Bottom