What's new

Semogue boar quality question

Ok so I've been tinkering around with the idea of picking up another brush, a Semogue, and they have three different levels of boar, a natural boar, a pure boar, and then a premium boar. Obviously premium is easy to figure out, but what in the heck is the difference between a natural boar and a pure boar? Or am I just over thinking this?

Take a look at first Boar, Semogue 830, 1305 or Omega Pro #48/49? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/first-boar-semogue-830-1305-or-omega-pro-48-49.543435/#post-9632431. Special grade and premium does not mean better. It's a matter of what you like.

The Semogue Owners Club (SOC) boar is very dense and softer (less stiff). I have a SOC, premiums (1305 and 2000) and a best (1250). To me, the SOC is the softest then the premiums and then the best. I am told that that the extra is great for going at harder soaps. When you add the different diameters and lofts, there is great variety.

I personally like a little scritch and find the SOC to be almost to soft. And I plan to buy an extra next.

You can´t miss with a Semogue boar, even the most economical 1460 & 1470 are really soft after the breaking process... you´ll never find trimmed bristles on a Semogue...

rey_shaves_90965754_254315399061227_6903355358005597698_n.jpg

Cheers

Many people have written about problems with painted handles chipping and pealing. I recently bought a 1305 and could still smell a teeny bit of paint smell from the handle. So I do not soak the brush before use and immediately after use I rinse and dry the brush with a towel. I am not a paint expert, but I wonder if it just takes a month or two for the paint to fully cure.

My recommendation is not to soak a brush with a painted handle, period.

And I don’t find not soaking the brush to impact the brush’s performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many people have written about problems with painted handles chipping and pealing. I recently bought a 1305 and could still smell a teeny bit of paint smell from the handle. So I do not soak the brush before use and immediately after use I rinse and dry the brush with a towel. I am not a paint expert, but I wonder if it just takes a month or two for the paint to fully cure.

My recommendation is not to soak a brush with a painted handle, period.

And I don’t find not soaking the brush to impact the brush’s performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I won't soak the handle. :thumbup1:

The link in @Frank Shaves 's post is a great guide. Here are my observations as I happen to have tried all the types of bristles that Semogue offers. Take the following with a pinch of salt, as my findings might be influenced by bristle batch variation.

Softness of tips: Premium 90% >= Special > Best 90% > Extra 75%
Backbone: Extra 75% ~ Best 90% > Special > Premium 90%
Density of knots: Special >> Best 90% > Extra 75% = Premium 90%

I would suggest starting with the 1470 (small size / strong backbone) or the 1250 (medium size and backbone). These have "best 90%" bristles and are the cheapest offerings per knot size.

Had the 2000 and PIF’d to my brother. Great brush. Had the SOC boar but I found it too big for face lathering. Still a great brush. Have the 1470 in my rotation. Great brush. See the theme here? :biggrin1:

- boar premium
(Special grade 90%tops)

- boar premium 90% tops mixed com super.

- Best 90% tops

- Extra 75% tops

- Extra 75% tops mixed com premium 90% tops

- Premium 90% tops mixed com texugo finest 2 band.
proxy.php

It's been quite a while since I bought my Semogue boar, so I have no idea what model it is. The wooden handle says Excelsior. It looks as far as I can tell like the far right model on the third row of XF17's model pictures -- 1470?

Top Bottom