What's new

Semogue Badger Grades

Just ordered a

1590260391346.png

I really should not hang in a shaving forum.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am very lucky to own four numbered limited edition Semogue Brushes and, for me at least, the two band finest is the best. I consider it to be similar to Simpson Manchurian which I also enjoy very much. For at least one of these brushes I can confirm there was a marginally more expensive three band 'special silvertip' version but in my opinion those have less backbone and I prefer the two band for face lathering.
View attachment 1097195

A remarkable comparison in my view.

I don't have a Simpson Manchurian (and am not knocking them or praising them) but considering what they cost and what these Semogue brushes cost, well, that's a remarkable comparison.

I have a Semogue SOC Mistura on order, and a couple of other brushes on order, but am, following those purchases, on a gentlemanly restraint until the fall, for brushes. Otherwise I'd be buying a Semogue Finest today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am very lucky to own four numbered limited edition Semogue Brushes and, for me at least, the two band finest is the best. I consider it to be similar to Simpson Manchurian which I also enjoy very much. For at least one of these brushes I can confirm there was a marginally more expensive three band 'special silvertip' version but in my opinion those have less backbone and I prefer the two band for face lathering.
View attachment 1097195
Thank you for your insight. I have been on a shopping spree as of late and picked up four Semogue brushes and needed your insight to select the two finest badger two bands as there is not a lot of information on the internet about these brushes.

I have been on a shopping spree as of late and picked up four Semogue brushes and needed your insight to select the two finest badger two bands as there is not a lot of information on the internet about these brushes.

Tell us more. What brushes did you get? How do you like them?

My 2000 arrived last week. It's a good sized brush but not a monster. No issues using it to face lather for me. The premium bristles are a little softer than the best. I love the fact that the bristles are not dyed. The knot is not quite as dense as the SOC boar, which is a positive for me. And I love the shape of the handle, which is a little shorter than the SOC handle. Great feel and great balance - I really like and recommend this brush!

I purchased the following brushes all from Razor Emporium:

Simpsons C3 Chubby Best Badger
Semogue SOC-C5 Finest Badger in Butterscotch
Semogue Galahad-C3 Finest Badger in Imperial Red
Semogue 1305 Boar Hair
Semogue SOC-C5 Premium Boar in Taj

His prices are very competitive and when you actually have the opportunity to touch and inspect the different brushes it becomes much easier to decide on which ones will best suit you. I am fortunate to live in a town that has a store with a physical location to visit.

How do you get notified of LE and custom releases? Where does SOC fit in with the other Semogue models in general? It doesn't seem that if you are looking for the best Semogue makes in a line that you can automatically assume it will be a SOC.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
How do you get notified of LE and custom releases? Where does SOC fit in with the other Semogue models in general? It doesn't seem that if you are looking for the best Semogue makes in a line that you can automatically assume it will be a SOC.
Some of the LE brushes are sold on vintagescent.com - you can register there to receive their newsletter. The LE brushes are usually numbered and limited to either 100 or 50. My LE two band Finest brushes are the best Semogue brushes I have used and compare favourably with my Simpson Manchurians. The Special Edition brushes, such as the 2013 Olive wood Silvertip are also limited, but to about 400, and are not numbered. As far as I know the SOC brushes are not limited in number.

I just started 4 years in this hobby.

I still look for limited Semogue editions today.

Limited editions are always welcome.

Regarding brushes of current production I have the ones I like the most.

^
Just saw you answered the question on the blue and clear brush an a response above: Semogue Badger & Blade Custom Boar 2010.

And found that the white handled ones are the Foro Afeitado LE brushes from last year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom