What's new

Semogue Badger Grades

After finding the following information on another shaving website, I thought I understood the different badger grades used by Semogue:

The Semogue badger hair grades are: Pure, Best, Silvertip and Finest (the 2 band). In the LE2010 we had the luck of getting some very special silvertip, I'd call it "Special Silvertip".​

I just assumed that the 2 band finest in the SOC was the "highest" and most-expensive grade. But I now see the Torga-C5 Badger Silvertip costing 13 EUR more than the Torga-C5 (2 band) Finest Badger on the Vintage Scent website. Is this just an aberration in pricing or am I misunderstanding Semogue's badger grades?

And, yes, I know that there is no standard for badger grades and different manufacturers use different names.

I will say by order of the most expensive to the cheapest:

Selected Silvertip
Silvertip
Finest 2 band
Mixed (finest with boar)
Best
Pure

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am very lucky to own four numbered limited edition Semogue Brushes and, for me at least, the two band finest is the best. I consider it to be similar to Simpson Manchurian which I also enjoy very much. For at least one of these brushes I can confirm there was a marginally more expensive three band 'special silvertip' version but in my opinion those have less backbone and I prefer the two band for face lathering.
20200305_173333.jpg

Last edited:
Those are beautiful brushes - thanks for sharing.

I already own a SOC 2-band finest, and have a SOC Mistura and a 2015 HD in transit. Can't wait for them to arrive.

@XF17: What are the two brushes on the left and the one on the right? I have never seen this shape handle before. I am guessing they are older models.

Semogue Brushes.jpg

I am very lucky to own four numbered limited edition Semogue Brushes and, for me at least, the two band finest is the best. I consider it to be similar to Simpson Manchurian which I also enjoy very much. For at least one of these brushes I can confirm there was a marginally more expensive three band 'special silvertip' version but in my opinion those have less backbone and I prefer the two band for face lathering.
View attachment 1097195

LOVELY!! :a29: :a29:

You also make the key point: price and performance can be very different animals!

For me, it is all about performance!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
@XF17: What are the two brushes on the left and the one on the right? I have never seen this shape handle before. I am guessing they are older models.

View attachment 1097266
The one on the right is a 2013 Special Edition (as opposed to Limited Edition) made with an olive wood handle. It was I believe only available in three band silvertip and was not numbered, unlike the Limited Edition brushes which are numbered and usually limited to either 100 or 50 in the various hair types and sizes. A very nice brush with an extremely soft face feel but very little backbone.

The one on the right is a 2013 Special Edition (as opposed to Limited Edition) made with an olive wood handle. It was I believe only available in three band silvertip and was not numbered, unlike the Limited Edition brushes which are numbered and usually limited to either 100 or 50 in the various hair types and sizes. A very nice brush with an extremely soft face feel but very little backbone.
Yes, in the right side it's the Special edition 2013.
Olive wood with badger selected silvertip. There only 440 units.

Those are just gems. Am I correct in that the shape of the handles on the vintage 2000 brushes is slightly different than the handle on the currently available 2000?

Semogue 2000 - 2.jpg

Just love the handles on the vintage 2000s. Makes me want to run out and buy a 2000.

Some really cool Semogues here.

I've read varying things over the years about the 2-band. It seems it was scritchy a few years ago, and then maybe they changed suppliers or something and the hair is softer now? Or was softer for a while? Has anyone bought a 2-band SOC recently who can comment on scritch and scrub levels?

I had a 2010 LE silvertip for a time, btw, and I wish I hadn't sold it. Superb brush with a really beautiful handle.

I have a 2-band finest SOC that I bought in March 2019 that I really like and does not feel scritchy to me. I would describe the 24mm SOC as having a tad less backbone than my 27.5mm Zenith M5. Both feel very soft to me, but I have still not experienced a Shavemac or Simpsons.

Some really cool Semogues here.

I've read varying things over the years about the 2-band. It seems it was scritchy a few years ago, and then maybe they changed suppliers or something and the hair is softer now? Or was softer for a while? Has anyone bought a 2-band SOC recently who can comment on scritch and scrub levels?

I had a 2010 LE silvertip for a time, btw, and I wish I hadn't sold it. Superb brush with a really beautiful handle.
I have 3 soc finest 2 band.

As the shaft ends are masks and the shaft is thicker than the old SOC.

How the animal is or the batch of the animal may vary.
But now they are good.

The Semogue LE 2010 is an excellent brush.

Top Bottom