Semogue 830 Repurposed

Discussion in 'Brush Making and Restorations' started by mr_houston, Dec 1, 2018.

I’ve got a Maddard 2-band in 26 mm due in today. I’ve also got an old Semogue 830 handle that I’ve always admired.

I tore out the metal cup and drilled it out to 26mm. Its beautiful, like a crystal glass. But I sure miss the red color.

Could I paint the inside with Testers enamel, then epoxy on top of that?

639B7D8E-41DA-424D-B789-917152A19516.jpeg
    A6B2EC33-93D0-4AC0-BAC4-675A36C31F2E.jpeg

1. rockviper

rockviper Moderator Emeritus

What about tinting the epoxy using some (not much) of the paint instead?

2. Seems like a good idea.

But I think the bottom of the knot would rest on bottom of the hole and show through the clear acryllic.

Maybe let a thin layer of colored epoxy first until hard, then set the knot.

3. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

I have seen many a Vintage brush that has a paint color in the cup.
    I have used Testors model paint in the past .

4. ajkel64

ajkel64 Moderator

I like it as it is. But whatever you do please show us the finished brush.

5. Up to you, of course, but the handle is attractive as is IMO.

6. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

The issue with leaving as is ,once you glue the knot in the epoxy will be visible

7. Wow. That’s a big knot. Very dense, too.

I’ve only had up to a 24 mm before. I will have to widen it some more and re-polish. Even a bit extra, if I paint it.

I will post a pic this weekend of the final product.

Thanks for the advice.

1E621363-67B7-473F-B023-599AF24B52C8.jpeg

8. Done and lathered once. I am impressed with Maggard’s knot.

I used Testors enamel paint with a recommended 48 hours dry time. As I placed the knot in, I got some scratches in the paint. Usually, you would leave some fine surface texture for the paint to adhere to better. But with the transparent handle, I don't think it would look right. So, that is the trade off.

0E037EDA-0706-4A45-B5D9-775532AE7845.jpeg

0620F0A6-A79C-45A3-88E4-A423824464FE.jpeg

9. rockviper

rockviper Moderator Emeritus

That came out pretty gosh darn golly gee good. Congrats! :thumbup1:

10. Claudel Xerxes

Claudel Xerxes Moderator

+1

11. Awesome!

12. That did turn out nice.
    I have a 620, and my favourite part about it is the handle. I'd definitely attempt a re-knot if/when the original fails. It already rotates in the handle, until it gets wet.
    So, it's a cup and not just a ferrule or ring?

13. That turned out beautiful. I know what I'm going to do with a clear handle I have. Thanks for the inspiration!

14. Excellent work.

15. Wonderful! Mine is loose and shedding, so you have provided some inspiration.

16. REV579

REV579 Contributor

I like it.

17. Beautiful brush. I have a clear handle and was thinking about paining the socket red and this clinched to. Thank you.

18. :em2200:

19. I remember quite awhile ago painting lexan. The technique I followed recommended roughing up the surface with brass wool (rather than steel wool so no errant fibers would rust, of course you would wash it anyway so I don't know if it matters).

After painting you could not detect any scratches at all, the paint fills in all the crevices. Might be worth a try on a piece of scrape first. I'm guessing you'd get better adhesion and still would look great on the outside.