What's new

Semogue 830 ordered

The thing I like about this brush, aside from the knot, is that the handle feels more comfortable and secure than any other brush I’ve used.

I just wonder how does it compare to the more expensive SOC? I would like to try boar brush but still undecided which one to buy.

I had the SOC cherrywood boar brush. Honestly, I didn’t like it as much as the 830. Aside from being a bit bigger than necessary, it started to shed after about a year.

Is there a difference between their bristles? I mean both are boar brushes but I’m thinking they use premium hair with the SOC line?

Once my 830 was well and truly broken in it was just a touch too floppy for me to be happy facelathering. And the knot got loose in the handle (I’ve heard other examples of that as well.).

My SOC, keeps on lathering up, years down the road, and still gets used. I’m happy with it.

Put a loose fitting rubber band around the bristles after the brush dries.

I’ve never had to wait for a brush to break in. The concept is totally lost on me. Soft water apparently.

I have both a 610 and 1305 that I enjoy using.

Last Summer I discovered the Omega 11047 badger and boar. I highly recommend this $14 brush for later making and feel.

I used the brush Sunday morning getting ready for church. It was it's 3rd shave and I was lathering TOBS Sandalwood soap. I was getting very thin, disappointing lather. I finally added TOBS Sandalwood cream and got a nice lather. Admittedly I was in a hurry to get to church on time. I've never had an issue lathering TOBS Soap with a badger. Yesterday, I decided to try the 830 on Cella. All I can say is wow! This soap quickly transformed into the most luxurious lather I've ever had with Cella. If it lathers Italian soft soaps like this, it would never have to break in more for me to be very happy with it. I should add, that my first use with the 830 was with DR Harris Windsor (hard soap) and it did a very good job indeed. I don't think the TOBS hard soap is on the same level with DRH hard soaps, but it's always done a 'decent' job for me. Now I'm anxious to take it for a spin with Tabac next!

Would be interesting to find out the negative reviews on brushes are really the fault of the soap.

Well, I just lathered Tabac with the 830 and the Tabac lather was just as good as ever, maybe better! So this brush has been used for DR Harris Windsor, Stirling Sandalwood, TOBS Sandalwood, Cella and Tabac. All the soaps lathered great except TOBS! That said, now I'm wondering what the break-in period is for? So far the Semogue brush has lathered very well indeed!

Well, I just lathered Tabac with the 830 and the Tabac lather was just as good as ever, maybe better! So this brush has been used for DR Harris Windsor, Stirling Sandalwood, TOBS Sandalwood, Cella and Tabac. All the soaps lathered great except TOBS! That said, now I'm wondering what the break-in period is for? So far the Semogue brush has lathered very well indeed!
It must be for folks with hard water.

Is it floppy? Seems to be a common complaint with semogue brushes.

Semogues with 55mm knot, are always floppier than Omegas with the same height. This is because the bristles in Semogues are finer and the knots are set in a way that they fan out, while Omegas knots are set with most bristles vertical, so they remain compact. I have Semogue 1250, 1470, 1800, 830. The last 2 still need breaking in. But they all become floppier as you break them in, in a way much more evident than Omega. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The 1250 is thus far my favourite. I bought the 830 just because i don't want to buy painted Semogues (the 1305), because i would hate it to have a brush with chipped paint. I have already read several 830 users say, that the brush overtime becomes maybe a bit too floppy. This is subjective. But, it doesn't require superior intelligence, to notice, once soaked, that the knot of the 830 is unusually soft for a boar. I have one 25x60mm Omega (of the resin handle high end series) that comes close, but not there still. And that Omega feels a bit floppy to me too. I would be surprised if after several use, the 830 didn't end up being the floppiest boar i have. To me, the 1250 is already very, very soft. But it maintains a good backbone at the bottom half of the knot's loft. Considering that 830 comes with softer bristles... Very nice acrilic hand for the 830 though.

Would be interesting to find out the negative reviews on brushes are really the fault of the soap.

It must be for folks with hard water.

For the little it may help, on my part, i do have hard water and i find that Semogues, need at least 6 shaves, in order to stop wondering whether the brush will hold enough lather for 3 passes or not. A bit later, they have enough for 4 passes despite the small diameter knot, but complete break in, needs many more shaves.

For the little it may help, on my part, i do have hard water and i find that Semogues, need at least 6 shaves, in order to stop wondering whether the brush will hold enough lather for 3 passes or not. A bit later, they have enough for 4 passes despite the small diameter knot, but complete break in, needs many more shaves.

Since I need a lather that is well hydrated, I find that during the shave I will add more water if needed and reload if needed. I use two small bowls. One has the soap and the other hot water. Having a brush have enough for three passes would mean nothing to me. The quality of the lather is what is required for me using a straight razor.

Since I need a lather that is well hydrated, I find that during the shave I will add more water if needed and reload if needed. I use two small bowls. One has the soap and the other hot water. Having a brush have enough for three passes would mean nothing to me. The quality of the lather is what is required for me using a straight razor.

I see. I only facelather and if needed, i can reload too, i just find it annoying with soapy hands and especially if i am using a tube. And the only brushes that had very evident problem with running out of lather early, were all the Semogues. It is nothing catastrophic, in fact Semogues are my "favourite", but i hadn't seen this happen before.

I see. I only facelather and if needed, i can reload too, i just find it annoying with soapy hands and especially if i am using a tube. And the only brushes that had very evident problem with running out of lather early, were all the Semogues. It is nothing catastrophic, in fact Semogues are my "favourite", but i hadn't seen this happen before.

I watched a video of an Italian Barber that set the rules for me and lather making. He rehydrated and built a huge later. He also was using a tube. He got his fingers in the bristles. Built the lather with the customer's chin. Big lather and well hydrated.

I watched a video of an Italian Barber that set the rules for me and lather making. He rehydrated and built a huge later. He also was using a tube. He got his fingers in the bristles. Built the lather with the customer's chin. Big lather and well hydrated.

Was he using an Omega pro brush? Barbers tend to do that with the big brushes, in order to control better the splay. I rehydrate by dipping the tips slightly in water when i think it is necessary. Some like more watery lather, some want thick lather. I make a lather that works well for me. I don't need particular soaps either, once i perfected my technique. I judge the lather by looking at the mirror. If it has no bubbles and is somewhat shiny, it's good. The brushes i use, i now know them well enough to be able to make the same lather quality with any of them. Some make it faster, some make more of it, but i can do the lather that works with every one of them. So, i don't try to change that anymore. It works.

Was he using an Omega pro brush? Barbers tend to do that with the big brushes, in order to control better the splay. I rehydrate by dipping the tips slightly in water when i think it is necessary. Some like more watery lather, some want thick lather. I make a lather that works well for me. I don't need particular soaps either, once i perfected my technique. I judge the lather by looking at the mirror. If it has no bubbles and is somewhat shiny, it's good. The brushes i use, i now know them well enough to be able to make the same lather quality with any of them. Some make it faster, some make more of it, but i can do the lather that works with every one of them. So, i don't try to change that anymore. It works.
Yes, I think we like a similar lather. The best looking is often too dry and my SR won't glide well.

Top Bottom