What's new

Semogue 830 ordered

As the owner of 11 Simpsons brushes in both best and super badger I ordered my first Boar brush. I chose the Semogue 830 to see why so many guys like them. Here's hoping that I find it superior for lathering hard soaps! I just received it today and will use it tomorrow.

Regardless of how it compares to your current brushes, at least you will know what the fuss is all about and whether you agree or disagree. Hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

As the owner of 11 Simpsons brushes in both best and super badger I ordered my first Boar brush. I chose the Semogue 830 to see why so many guys like them. Here's hoping that I find it superior for lathering hard soaps! I just received it today and will use it tomorrow.
Let us know. I have 2 boar brushes. The Mondial brush seems like a badger to me.

I wasn’t thrilled with my 830 when it was new and it was slow to break in, but in time it became my all time favorite. If you like it half as much as I like mine, you will love it.

I just bought an 830 yesterday, I walked in to the store to buy an 820 actually because I’m not a fan of the dyed badger stripe on boar brushes but when I felt the bristles of the 830 compared to the 820 I had no choice.. the 830 already felt more luxurious than the 820. Shaved with it this morning and knew I made the right call, dyed stripe and all.

Once it breaks in you'll find it able to lather up the toughest of soaps and be equally gentle on your face ! Amazing brush !

proxy.php

I would say it's pretty good. Moderate backbone with a good splay :)
I'm sure you'd be happy with it.

My 830 was my first good brush and my favorite for a long time. I eventually preferred the SOC and now only use synthetics, but a good portion of my time in wetshaving belonged to my 830. I always loved the handle.

Semogue's take awhile to break in. Don't give up. Give it at least 30 shaves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

830 is probably the most "badgery" boar in my opinion. Nice splay, relatively soft tips once broken in, flops a bit as well.
I agree with the one who said it takes some time to break in. Mine is almost 1 year old but sometimes I got the feeling that is still gets softer and splays better.

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

Mine does have a good splay, not too difficult to break in.
I do wish the handle was a little longer, but all in all a great brush.

I just used it today lathering DR Harris Windsor. I was very happy with how it loaded and it felt fine on my face. My Duke 2 best badger was watching and wasn’t too happy. He earned top spot in the den with victories over his big brother the Duke 3 and the chubbies. Time will tell

The 830 has been a fantastic brush for me. Broke in easily, and never smelled like a rank animal. The tips feel soft and wonderful, and the brush whips up a mighty lather, plenty for three passes.

On the other hand, if you are looking for mucho scrub and flesh-raking bristles then this may not be the brush for you.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
image.jpg

Here’s mine. Must be at least 8 years old. It’s been used and abused and still lathers like a champ. The bristles feel super slippery when wet, allowing for a really soft scrubby feeling. This brush spoiled me and badgers just don’t do it for me anymore.

Last edited:
As others have noted, be sure to give it plenty of time to break in! For me the need for break in is one of the biggest differences between badger and boar brushes.

Enjoy the brush!!

Is this the Semogue Christmas conspiracy thread, maybe? :07: It's the last Semogue i buy and i bought it only recently, just because i can't convince myself to buy any Semogue with painted handle. Such a pretty brush, your wife may even be appeased by its looks. But perhaps a bit too floppy for a boar. I haven't used it yet. It's still drying from the customary defunking bath.

2.png

I agree with @toma.honfoglalo . This feels like a "badgery boar". It's the first time that i have found a boar brush, that i can press down with my palm and the whole loft just bends sideways, as if it was a badger.

After the first shave, typical Semogue behaviour. Although i loaded the brush with extra cream, there was barely enough lather for the 3rd pass. The brush just makes the lather vanish. On the other hand, the backbone and softness was perfect. If the backbone could remain like that forever, it would be my favourite brush. But no Semogue remains the same for long. But that's what the 1250 and the 1800 are for.

Top Bottom