What's new

Semogue 750 Best Badger - a mini review

Just to warn anyone who don't know; I am biased in favour of Semogue brushes :001_smile

I have recently acquired a Semogue 750 Best Badger.
It is my first Best Badger from Semogue, so I was excited to discover how it felt compared to my Semogue Silvertips, as I am a big fan of soft tips, and soft tips is not something I would expect from a Best Badger.

I must say I have been pleasantly surprised.
Don't get me wrong, it is nothing like a Silvertip, but it isn't scritchy either which was what I feared.
I can definitely feel the tips, but it is more like a massaging sensation than something hard and wire-ish. It is not uncomfortable at all.
This opinion is after about five shaves with it and I haven't used hair conditioner to soften it up, as I would like to know the feeling of it before I did something like that.
However, I am tempted to give it the hair conditioner treatment to soften it up just a little, but the jury is still out on that issue.
And just for info; I haven't tried face lathering with it.

Out of the box the knot felt a little thin compared to the Semogue LE's, the SOC, my Shavemac's and my Simpson PJ2, and I was a little afraid it might feel floppy, but it has a surprisingly firm backbone, so the knot don't have to be denser, in fact I think it actually would have felt scritchy had it been more dense.
The tips and the backbone makes the brush able of lathering up quite fast no matter if it is soap or cream, and it delivers the lather again without any problems whatsoever :thumbup1:

I still prefer Silvertip or Finest Badger, but this brush has changed my look on Best Badger and I don't think I have bought my last Best Badger brush - if this is the general feel and quality.

All-in-all; it is is a very good brush and in my opinion excellent value for money.
If you are on the lookout for a good badger brush, but don't want to spent the cost of a Silvertip, I can highly recommend the Semogue 750.

I bought mine for €38 plus shipping, and I don't find that expensive for a handmade badger brush.

Pre-bloom
proxy.php

proxy.php

Post-bloom

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wow, Soren, that brush looks wonderful! Glad to hear you had a great shave with it and you liked it!
Enjoy the brush!:biggrin1:

Thank you for your review Soren, it is very informative. How do you like the handle please, it is like the 610, or the 620, or the 830, or is it a different one

At the look of it, it is similar to the 610 handle.

Here is a photo of the four 620, 610, 820 and 750.
Unfortunately it doesn't really show the small differences in the handles as I hoped.

proxy.php

Thank you Søren! The differences in Semogue acrylic handles are not easy to capture on pictures, but I think in this case you have done a great job (again)

I wonder who else owns this brush. Is it firm enough for face lathering?

In my opinion; Yes.
I find it to be quite firm, and without having any direct comparison other than memory (which has failed before :wink) I think the backbone is at least as good as the Semogue boars preferred by those who face lather.

In my opinion; Yes.
I find it to be quite firm, and without having any direct comparison other than memory (which has failed before :wink) I think the backbone is at least as good as the Semogue boars preferred by those who face lather.

Based on your observations, I think I'm going to like this brush. Thank you :thumbup1:

Thanks Soren. I've ordered a 2020 Semogue Best badger brush, and I think they are quite similar. I have had the 2010 Pure badger and altought it improved a bit after two months of use it was too scratchy. I hope the new one will be smoother than the 2010. Thanks a lot for your review. Greetings

Hi,

I've received the Semogue 2020 brush after lunch and I've already tested it. It's pretty much softer than the 2010 Pure badger and I've been able to lather at the face without suffering exfoliation. Due to its small density and big loft it has zero backbone, but I thing it's a fabulous brush for the price I've payed for it.

DSC01120.JPG

DSC01122.JPG

Top Bottom