What's new

Semogue 75% tops vs. 90% tops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of love directed towards the Semogue boar brushes lately and jumped right on that bandwagon - :w00t: bunch of enablers!!!

I ordered the 1438 (last week) which is listed as 75% tops (hair rating). It seems to me that the most popular models recommended here (830, 2000 and 1305) have the hair rating 90% tops.

Anybody used both a 75% and a 90% tops Semogue brush?

Please share your experience as my brush hasn't arrived yet and I can't stop reading about Semogue brushes or looking at photos of Semogue brushes.

Bonus points if you talk about Semogue and post a photo! :lol:

The higher % tops brushes I have (2000, 830, 1250) seem to lather a bit better than my 75% brush (the 620). The 620 is improving, but right out of the box it was a pretty weak latherer compared to the other three. I think as the tips break in and turn softer the brush splays a little more while lathering, getting the non-tops hairs in on the action.

I have a 620 and am very happy with it, but I have soft water and use Cella. Cella lathers easily and soft water helps almost anything lather well so it may be my situation that makes the 620 work so well for me.

I was thinking of going for an 830 but heard it doesn't have quite the same backbone as the 620 so have been hesitant. Any observations along these lines from those who have experience with both the 620 and the 830?

I have a 620 and am very happy with it, but I have soft water and use Cella. Cella lathers easily and soft water helps almost anything lather well so it may be my situation that makes the 620 work so well for me.

I was thinking of going for an 830 but heard it doesn't have quite the same backbone as the 620 so have been hesitant. Any observations along these lines from those who have experience with both the 620 and the 830?

I have both and it is really hard to beat the backbone on the 620. That said, the 830 has plenty of backbone, not as much as the 620, but is noticeably softer. I face lather with both and love both.

You can send your questions to Leon, shop owner of vintagescent, he is the person to ask about Semogue.
Leon was the "creator" of the Semogue 830. Based on the success of 1305, he gave his ideas to Semogue and they made the 830, similar to 1305 but 10% more dense and with an acrylic handle.

I only know that "Premium 90% tops" is the best boar than you can have at Semogue, as "Premium" boar is the best type of boar available.
I have a Semogue 1530 (70% top) and a Semogue 830 (Premium 90% tops).
The 830 was better out-of-the box than the 1530 after I break it.

About the "70% tops" and "90% tops" and their differences, see also this: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2138144#post2138144

Last edited:
The 830 with the finer tops is a 55mm loft v.s the 620's 70% tops, with a 50mm loft. The 50mm has GOT to have more backbone. How does the density of these two knots compare??

I love both. The 620 seems to be more of a scrubber, while my 1305 and 830 are better all-around brushes.

I have to say, though, I got a chipped up 1520 and refinished the handle--it's only 75% tops and lately it's been my favorite.

The 830 with the finer tops is a 55mm loft v.s the 620's 70% tops, with a 50mm loft. The 50mm has GOT to have more backbone. How does the density of these two knots compare??

I would say that the 830 is a little more dense, but they are both pretty dense to begin with. The 620 has more backbone than any brush I've owned. The 830 has plenty of backbone, not as much as the 620, and has more soft tips. They are both plenty dense though IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom