What's new

Semogue 620 goodness.

View attachment 283663

First shave with the 620 this morning. Have spent the last 5-6 days hand-lathering it and letting it dry and it's already got some tips starting to split 2-3 ways (nice!).

My boar experience is limited to a really cheap no-name brush I got in a gift-pack and as much as I adore that brush, the 620 is a quantaum leap above that.

Showered, slapped on some Proraso pre and then squeezed a good amount of Proraso Green cream (old form) onto the face and rubbed it in (it's a warm, muggy day here in Melbourne today).

First brushing with the 620 revealed some soft tips and I think I babied it too much just trying to use the tips only - lather was Ok but not spectacular.

Well, second pass I put a touch more cream into the tips, dipped into the basin and really got stuck in. That's when the lather magic happened (really? more product AND more water actually works??)

Anyway, it felt great to figure the thing out and I'm curious as to how some of the other Semogue boars roll - the 830, the SOC etc. I still love that CH1 that arrived with this but I understand now the love that boars generate. I guess it's nice to have choice - anyone else rotate between boar and badger?

Yep! The 620 and the new B&B Omega get most of my love now-a-days though. Want to try an SOC and an 830 pretty badly too.

Can you do a comparison, for those of us who aren't really boar brush guys? I just bought the new B&B Omega, but that's because it was the new B&B brush. So got one! But I'm curious to know how it compares to other boars. And curious about the 620 (vs. the 610 even) in particular. I'm really looking for a comparison for -- or input to -- someone who just doesn't know about these brushes.

Last edited:
Congratulations on receiving your Semogue brush.
I have an 1800, 830 and SOC. I've just returned to using them after a lengthy run with pure badgers.
You realise how superb these brushes are when you've missed using them for a while.

Love them all, luxurious.

Last edited:
I love my Semogue boar brushes (610 620 820 830)! Performance is truly spectacular once they are broken in. The 800s have a higher loft than the 600s, resulting in slightly altered dynamics when lathering. There is no appreciable difference in terms of performance between the blondes and the dyed versions.

Boars perform better than many costlier badgers - no question about it.

Can you do a comparison, for those of us who aren't really boar brush guys? I just bought the new B&B Omega, but that's because it was the new B&B brush. So got one! But I'm curious to know how it compares to other boars. And curious about the 620 (vs. the 610 even) in particular. I'm really looking for a comparison for -- or input to -- someone who just doesn't know about these brushes.

I have the 610, 620 & 820 as well as a couple of Omegas (#36 & 10067). I really like my Boars probably in the following order:
  1. Semogue 610
  2. Semogue 620
  3. Omega 10067
  4. Semogue 820
  5. Omega #36

The 820 is only just nudged out by that Omega.

Here are a couple of threads about the 610 Vs 620:

I note from reading both threads that people are divided between the 610 and the 620. I prefer the 610 over the 620 but it is really only "splitting hairs" :biggrin1:

I have the 620 also. It was my second boar, the Omega 49 being my first and it was to floppy for me. I must say I was suprised by this brush. Very nice and it is now broke in well. Holds a lot of water and works great!

I am waiting on a 620 to be delivered, myself, so I'm glad to see this pic and discussion! Is there anything that can speed up the breaking-in process for a new boar (specifically the 620), or should I just start using it?

Thanks tons, OldGreyGuy. I suck at the internet -- cerainly as far as narrowing searches. I'm now wondering if the new B&B brush will take care of all my boar needs... I"m tempted by the 610 as a hard soap "shredder". I didn't know there were these gradations of boar bristle (Best vs. Extra?) though I did know something or other about the % of "tops"... all those links were helpful.

When the new B&B comes in, for those who have a 610 and/or 620 already, I'd love to hear!

Last edited:
I've had my 620 for about 2 weeks now and using it every day. It's really breaking in nicely and is a fantastic brush. It will tear up soap like nobody's business:thumbup1:

I have a 620 on its way to me from the BST. Its already broken in so I can start enjoying it right away.

The Semogue 1305 has been my favorite brush for the last 4 years or so, but its past its prime and ready for replacement. The 1305 outperforms every badger brush I have, and outshines more costly boars like the SOC. But its on its way out, doesn't hold as much water as it used to, and the backbone is getting weaker. And except for 2 or 3 bristles that it lost in the first week, it never sheds, not one little bit.

My 2 SOCs have identical knots, the same break-in, and approximately the same usage, but there are unique identities between the cherry and the ash versions. The ash has softer tips, but leans toward being more floppy and blooms out larger. The cherry has scrubbier tips and more backbone. Both of these are superb performers, but I find them to be a little larger than I like in both the knot and the handle.

Just got in my first boar brush - this Semogue 620. But a little confused as there was no bad odor nor and scratchy feeling on first use as I heard boar brushes have.... I hand lather twice to break it it, but it did a great job with some MDC soap...

New to the wet shave and only have a cheap badger to compare it to, but pretty happy so far!

The 610 (same size as the 620) is the only brush I have two of. It's the perfect size for face lathering my face. It's simply a great little brush that works equally well with soaps, croaps, and creams.

I recently purchased a 620 and I'm luvin' it. Break in? Who cares, this thing is great just the way it is. Actually it's probably better (for me) not broken in. I like feeling it scruff up my face and actually wish it was a bit more scratchy or firm to be honest. But it's lathering up real nice in my bowl and doing a great job once I get it to my face.

I have the 610 (as said earlier, same size as 620) for almost 5 months and it just consistently lathers well. Loads quickly, soft on your face, always look forward to using it.

That's a really nice looking handle. I might buy one, and if I don't like it, the handle would be a good candidate for a TGN knot.

Great to see the thread resurrected. The 620 is a great face latherer at a ridiculously accessible price point. Paired with a good soft Italian soap.....

Top Bottom