What's new

Semogue 610 vs. Semogue 620

I have read and re-read this thread about 20 times now. I think I've fiunally decided to pull the trigger on a 610. I really like the look of the undyed hairs more.

For anyone who has the brushes correct me if I'm wrong but would you say the 610 is more similar to the 2000 in that there is a little less backbone and could be considered more "floppy". While the 620 has more backbone and less splay making it similar to the SOC?

I have the SOC and the 2000 and I find I reach for my 2000 a whole lot more.

BTW, SWMBO said she would get me the SOC 2-band badger for Xmas :thumbup1:

I have had a 620 for around 6 months now and i think it is safe to say that it is fully broken in. It did most of its breaking in during the first month or so but there were still some resilient bristles that took considerably longer to split and a few that i think never will. Initially the brush is a bit scritchy but that completely disappears after the first break in. The brush gives a good scrub due to its firm bristles but they are noticeably softer after soaking. The 620 also holds enough lather for 3 passes and has no trouble whipping it up. I mostly face lather but have used it to bowl lather and it works fine but will take a bit more work to generate as rich a lather in comparison to a badger brush. I have not used a 610 so cannot compare its performance but i do prefer the natural look of the bristles used for the 610. Either way i can say i am very happy with the 620 but it definitely requires a good break in before it can be judged.

Last edited:
I have read and re-read this thread about 20 times now. I think I've fiunally decided to pull the trigger on a 610. I really like the look of the undyed hairs more.

For anyone who has the brushes correct me if I'm wrong but would you say the 610 is more similar to the 2000 in that there is a little less backbone and could be considered more "floppy". While the 620 has more backbone and less splay making it similar to the SOC?

I have the SOC and the 2000 and I find I reach for my 2000 a whole lot more.

BTW, SWMBO said she would get me the SOC 2-band badger for Xmas :thumbup1:

IMO you can never ever call the 610 a floppy brush! It has LOTS of backbone, very soft tips and a joy to use! The 620 is the same, just has a little more scrubbing going on thanks to the 75%.
You will be very pleased with the 610, and since they don't cost much you can always get the 620 later on.

IMO you can never ever call the 610 a floppy brush! It has LOTS of backbone, very soft tips and a joy to use! The 620 is the same, just has a little more scrubbing going on thanks to the 75%.
You will be very pleased with the 610, and since they don't cost much you can always get the 620 later on.

Thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for.

How did I know the classi B&B "you can always get both" logic would come into play ;)

Hey guys, I have the 610 and use it also exclusively for face lathering. It's pretty much designed for that job. :thumbup1: I really like it. Before ordering it I also read this thread a couple times because I couldn't decide whether to go for the 610 or the 620. As some of you I also like the undyed boar hairs more so I went for the 610. Don't regret it.
I was wondering how you hold the brush when face lathering? At first I held it with the tips of my fingers in the middle of the handle but recently switched to putting the tips of my fingers on top of the handle almost on the metal ring that holds the knot. The bottom of the handle rests in my palm. I find that this way I have more control of the brush.

Thanks for the review. I own a 610 & was breaking it in until I was doing a comparison on 2 shave soaps & decided to use my Simpson Duke 3 brush in Best.

I was wrong on the Model # of my Semogue shave brush above! It is an 830 Excelsior Semogue shaving brush. The RED COLOR threw me off! So I belong in another Post. Thanks & Happy Shaving!

In the last one year, or year and half, I only use these two badly addicted brushes. They are very similar, but different. For me, 620 seems softer and whit little bit more backbone, while 610 is somewhat stiffer. Every second day pick up the same one. Really hard to say which one is better, especially for face lathering.
They are real bad boys, so bad that I had to ordered two of each as a spare brushes, just in case. Can't remember when was the last time when I used silvertips brushes, or any other.
In conclusion, my answer is to take both of them, and don't forget they can be very, very addicted.

I have a 610 and a 620. I don't notice any difference in backbone between the two. The 610 has slightly softer tips which to me gives it a slight edge.

Definitely the 620 is preferable because of the 75% extra tops. Better preparation of the stubble, great scrubing while loading the grain with lather, and of course the black colour always makes me to buy it.

Was researching the Semogue boar brushes as it will likely be my next purchase and I just wanted to say that this thread is FANTASTIC!!!

Just don't be disappointed in the first lathers, it may steal some, it may not lather up well. Load more than enough product.

I broke it in by putting it 3 days in the fridge.

Excellent, thank you for the info and tip - I will give it a try!

I have a 620 and it’s a dream brush. It broke in quicker than I thought and does extremely well with hard soaps. It feels soft as a badger yet has a great backbone. I have a new SOC boar that I’m trying to break in but right now the 620 easily outperforms it.

My 610 was a gift from @Macfrommichigan. I’m a face latherer and make a lot of hydrated soap. This brush is effortless. After it drys I place a loose fitting rubber band around the knot . Keeps all the bristles together.

Top Bottom