What's new

Semogue 610 vs. Semogue 620

My 620 is a shedder. I understand it is quite common for the 620 to shed hairs during every shave, even after several years. Is it the same for the 610? Can anyone chime in on that point?

I love the 620, my only boar, now that it broken in. I grabbed a second mug, tossed a new puck in it, and devoted that mug and puck to the next 30 latherings using the 620. I only used the lather to shave once along the way. I lathered as I read online. . .I multi-tasked best I could but I took the time. I waited for the brush to dry between latherings. Each lathering was thorough. I went at it for a while each time--minutes!--and I kept count. A bit compulsive, sure. But the brush bloomed beautifully and it is a worthy companion to the many badgers and the one horse that I have.

The shedding is minimal with mine. I don't have that issue, at least so far.

While my SOC has shed to the point that I rarely ever use it, I have had no problems with the 610. Although it is my least expensive brush, I reach for it more than any of my others. I find it perfect for face lathering. I have a Semogue 2011 LE Finest Bristle 1, but prefer the 610. The only brush that I found competes with it is the Simpson 2010 LE Eagle G3 in Best Badger. For a $20 brush to compete with such a great brush is a testament to its quality.

Mike

Not too long ago I received a 620 in a trade and it's awesome. It's super for face lathering as Mad Man said. It doesn't get much better than the 620.

After reading this whole thread I decided to try a 610. I want to use it for face lathering. I just started face lathering about a month ago and this seems like a good brush for that. Even my nice synthetics don't seem to splay evenly. I know Semogue suppose to really splay and get floppy after awhile.
The 610 in that red & clear handle with the white hairs looks so cool.

I've had a 620 for almost a year. I use it about twice a week and I don't recall it loosing a single hair beyond the first two or three latherings.

After reading this whole thread I decided to try a 610. I want to use it for face lathering. I just started face lathering about a month ago and this seems like a good brush for that. Even my nice synthetics don't seem to splay evenly. I know Semogue suppose to really splay and get floppy after awhile.
The 610 in that red & clear handle with the white hairs looks so cool.

I have the exact same brush, had it for about 6 weeks. Looks great and performs well. Trying to decide which I like better, the 610 or my B&B Essential Boar. So far B&B has the lead by a very small margin...but neither are fully broken in yet..

I have the exact same brush, had it for about 6 weeks. Looks great and performs well. Trying to decide which I like better, the 610 or my B&B Essential Boar. So far B&B has the lead by a very small margin...but neither are fully broken in yet..

I never use to face lather mainly because I could not get the shave sticks to work for me. I finally got the hang of it and I kind of like it. I don't have the B&B boar but I think for bowl lathering I would prefer the B&B but for face lathering I think I am going to like the 610.
I didn't realize it when I ordered it that it is coming from the U.K. So now I have to wait a month to get it. Me with little or no patience. Oh well.

I have a 620, 1250, 830, 1305, 1460, and SOC Badger. Not one is a shedder. Outstanding brushes.

The Semogue boar brushes take a while to break in. My 610 is still one of my favorites, even with Thater and Rooney badger in my collection.

The Semogue boar brushes take a while to break in. My 610 is still one of my favorites, even with Thater and Rooney badger in my collection.

Glad to hear that since I have a 610 on the way. I think most people would agree that it takes a Semogue boar about 30 shaves to break in. Everyone agree with that?

Last edited:
I've got the 620 nice solid brush. Also have the 1305..used that one this morning..good too... SOC with cherry handle is a dream to use. Worth the money...oh yeah I prefer to face lather so I'm skewed to Boars.

It seems a lot of gents feel a boar brush is best for face lathering. Does everyone here feel a boar is better than a synthetic brush?
I'm new to face lathering and I'm just wondering what is better for face lathering a boar or a synthetic?

Glad to hear that since I have a 610 on the way. I think most people would agree that it takes a Semogue boar about 30 shaves to break in. Everyone agree with that?

When I first got my 610, I used it every other day to let it dry fully between shaves. Within a month, I was getting great results, but I think the tips continued to split and soften for months afterwards. I've had it now for about four years, and I think the tips may be even softer than any of my badgers.

I have to agree that the 610 is a great brush. Mine is broken-in and the tips split. I am going to use it tomorrow or Saturday for a shave. I just love how soft it is and it splays very nicely.

Regards,

Kirk

Top Bottom