What's new

Semogue 2020 TSN limited edition

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Friday morning I ordered the three band Semogue 2020 TSN limited edition.

View attachment 1239054

I thought I'd never buy another three band. I'm much more into the good two band brushes so partly my decision to buy the brush was based on the remarkable enabling powers of the gentlemen in this thread. Still, I'm not kidding when I say I thought I'd buy no more three bands.

This one, if the reviews are right, is a very unusual three band with loads of backbone, and the perfect amount of density. The handle is beautiful. I already know the SOC handle has ergonomics which flat out rock (that's a given as I love the handles on my SOC Mistura and SOC boar).

I'm kinda hoping it has both softness and scrub, but that's a tall order. If the brush lacks the scrub I enjoy, and I can't determine much about its scrub from the reviews on this and other sites, I can always find another home for it.

The remarkable Semogue SOC Mistura was another influence in my decision to jump on another three band. Semogue nailed that brush, so maybe they're on a roll.

I've regretted not buying Semogue LE brushes before, particularly the 26 mm Mistura available last summer. I expect these LE brushes will sell out worldwide soon enough.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Fantastic I looked at that one too awhile back it was on sale. Looking forward to your review and enabling 😁🤣
I’m still looking around for my next purchase. 😅

Friday morning I ordered the three band Semogue 2020 TSN limited edition.

View attachment 1239054

I thought I'd never buy another three band. I'm much more into the good two band brushes so partly my decision to buy the brush was based on the remarkable enabling powers of the gentlemen in this thread. Still, I'm not kidding when I say I thought I'd buy no more three bands.

This one, if the reviews are right, is a very unusual three band with loads of backbone, and the perfect amount of density. The handle is beautiful. I already know the SOC handle has ergonomics which flat out rock (that's a given as I love the handles on my SOC Mistura and SOC boar).

I'm kinda hoping it has both softness and scrub, but that's a tall order. If the brush lacks the scrub I enjoy, and I can't determine much about its scrub from the reviews on this and other sites, I can always find another home for it.

The remarkable Semogue SOC Mistura was another influence in my decision to jump on another three band. Semogue nailed that brush, so maybe they're on a roll.

I've regretted not buying Semogue LE brushes before, particularly the 26 mm Mistura available last summer. I expect these LE brushes will sell out worldwide soon enough.

Happy shaves,

Jim
You motivated me to get mine out this morning. Glad you did too! What a nice brush.

I don't know what you prefer in a brush, but, in my opinion, it is similar in face feel to a Chubby 1 in Super 3 band. A dense cloud of a brush. The density gives it above average backbone. Not really all that different from Simpson Silvertip in performance if you ask me. I hope you enjoy yours!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
You motivated me to get mine out this morning. Glad you did too! What a nice brush.

I don't know what you prefer in a brush, but, in my opinion, it is similar in face feel to a Chubby 1 in Super 3 band. A dense cloud of a brush. The density gives it above average backbone. Not really all that different from Simpson Silvertip in performance if you ask me. I hope you enjoy yours!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Simpson and Semogue are the only brushes in my rotation and I rate them equally highly. For me the Semogue two band Finest, especially in the LE brushes, is every bit the equal of Simpson Manchurian, which is remarkable given the price difference.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've received my brush, the Semogue TSN LE 3 band, just this afternoon.

It will be April before I use any of my several new (some new to me from the BST) brushes, including the new Semogue with the beautiful handle. The knot, for a 24 mm knot, seems small, but, of course, I've not washed it, or wet it, or used it. I like its look. I think it's very well made. That's about all I know so far.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The nominal size of the 3-band LE is approximately the same as the SOC Mistura, but it is a smaller looking and feeling knot. It is still excellent in terms of lather release and has enough backbone to feel substantial. I am keeping it, having recently sold a Duke 3, and I may sell my 2-band Shavemac as I feel this duplicates its performance (the Shavemac is a 24/50 knot) but bests its face feel due to tip presence.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The nominal size of the 3-band LE is approximately the same as the SOC Mistura, but it is a smaller looking and feeling knot. It is still excellent in terms of lather release and has enough backbone to feel substantial. I am keeping it, having recently sold a Duke 3, and I may sell my 2-band Shavemac as I feel this duplicates its performance (the Shavemac is a 24/50 knot) but bests its face feel due to tip presence.

I've not used my LE yet (Fixed Four), but am curious. How does the LE best the face feel of the Shavemac (and which Shavemac knot are you talking about)? I'd guess you mean a Shavemac three band, but that's a guess.

I find it instructive when guys compare knots head to head.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

I've not used my LE yet (Fixed Four), but am curious. How does the LE best the face feel of the Shavemac (and which Shavemac knot are you talking about)? I'd guess you mean a Shavemac three band, but that's a guess.

I find it instructive when guys compare knots head to head.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
My Shavemac is the 2-band silvertip (not D01). It has long been a favorite knot. That said, I have always wished for just a bit more tip presence, which the D01 3-band has but at the expense of flow through. I am finding the Semogue TSN LE almost like a 3-band D01 with better flow. I feel the individual hairs while still getting the scrubby effect of sturdy backbone.
Now, having said that, the Shavemac 2-band is excellent, and when push comes to shove, I’m not sure I’ll part with it. I’ve had it longer than I’ve ever kept one badger brush. Something tells me I’d miss it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
4-2-21.TSN3Band.WB.Vitos.640.JPG

First shave with my new Semogue brush. Here's the shave report if you're interested.

I'm impressed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Shavemac is the 2-band silvertip (not D01). It has long been a favorite knot. That said, I have always wished for just a bit more tip presence, which the D01 3-band has but at the expense of flow through. I am finding the Semogue TSN LE almost like a 3-band D01 with better flow. I feel the individual hairs while still getting the scrubby effect of sturdy backbone.
Now, having said that, the Shavemac 2-band is excellent, and when push comes to shove, I’m not sure I’ll part with it. I’ve had it longer than I’ve ever kept one badger brush. Something tells me I’d miss it.

Rule of thumb: When something tells me I'll miss it, I will.

The D01 three band is a knot I've not tried and have never been interested in. Would you please shut up about it? I don't need additional brushes.

Semogue LE 3 band (new, vendor's photo).png

The photo is a vendor's. It doesn't well capture the color, but it shows the various tones. My guess is tortoise doesn't photograph well (but what do I know about photography). I do know the handle is very pleasing to look at.

My first impression of the new Semogue LE three band is it feels like a very good two band. The reviews said as much, but I'm a bit surprised by the scrub. It's other qualities are good, too. Plenty of backbone, great flow-through. To me, it's most noteworthy in a three band to find such a very nice degree of scrub (and I didn't say "for a three band").

1617370953767.png

Semogue is not my favorite when it comes to boars, but I've been very impressed with the SOC Mistura, and, now, so far, with this LE brush. Not that I am discarding my SOC boar.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rule of thumb: When something tells me I'll miss it, I will.

The D01 three band is a knot I've not tried and have never been interested in. Would you please shut up about it? I don't need additional brushes.

My first impression of the new Semogue LE three band is it feels like a very good two band. The reviews said as much, but I'm a bit surprised by the scrub. It's other qualities are good, too. Plenty of backbone, great flow-through. To me, it's most noteworthy in a three band to find such a very nice degree of scrub (and I didn't say "for a three band").

Semogue is not my favorite when it comes to boars, but I've been very impressed with the SOC Mistura, and, now, so far, with this LE brush. Not that I am discarding my SOC boar.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yeah, I think I'd miss the Shavemac. Definitely don't try a D01 three-band. Unless you want to be further surprised by the degree of scrub in a three-band. I have had 3 examples of D01 3-band brushes over the years, and if you blindfolded me, I couldn't tell the difference between that hair and this hair.

Ugh. Now I'm talking myself into another D01 3-band.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yeah, I think I'd miss the Shavemac. Definitely don't try a D01 three-band. Unless you want to be further surprised by the degree of scrub in a three-band. I have had 3 examples of D01 3-band brushes over the years, and if you blindfolded me, I couldn't tell the difference between that hair and this hair.

Ugh. Now I'm talking myself into another D01 3-band.
So you like the D01 3-band. ? I have not tried the D01 3-band. I might have to think about getting a D01 3-band. But haven't decided if I should get a D01 3-band. Or a D01 3-band. What do you think ? Should I consider a D01 3-band. ? Would I like a D01 3-band. ? What are the characteristic of a D01 3-band. ? And what do you think makes a D01 3-band a brush I should consider ? Are there any negative aspects to the D01 3-band.? Thank you for discussing the D01 3-band with me.. I didn't have enough info on the D01 3-band. But after this maybe I will have enough info on the D01 3-band. 😜 🤣 :lol: :lol:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Covering ⬆ two bases ⬇ with one post.

6-24-21.R95.Semogue3Band.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

It's a new to me razor, but after using it a few times I'm pretty impressed.

The birch bark handle is wonderful in case you're curious. Even my wife seems to like it. She's commented on it several times (and generally she ignores my gear entirely); she says it looks like cork (and she's right, kinda sorta). It has a really great feel to it.

Oh, the brush is fabulous.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom