What's new

SEMOGUE 2012 SPECIAL EDITION - And GOLDILOCKS

Everyone knows the story of Goldilocks and the 3 Bears with Goldilocks trying all 3 bear's porridge in an attempt to find the one that is "just right."

My first brush is a wonderful silvertip badger brush. It is luxuriously soft, so soft that it has absolutely no scritch and cannot be used with a soap or croap.

My second brush is a Semogue 830. Lots of scritch. Great for soaps. But I miss the luxurious feel of badger.

In my non-ending search for the perfect brush, I came upon the Semogue 2012 special edition with its mix of boar and badger; and I think to myself, "self, this is either going to be a perfect blend of backbone and luxury OR it is going to be halfway to nowhere."

So, for the users of of a mixed brush out there, is the Semogue 2012 special edition "just right," or should I continue my search for the perfect brush?

If you want soft tips and backbone, you should have a look into 2-band badger hair. You don't have to spend a fortune either, there are options like Semogue SOC 2 band, or you could buy a TGN finest 2 band knot and set it in a handle yourself. If you are after slight scritch, the only difference you might not favour is that some 2 band knots have less scritch and more scrub.

Glad that you're happy (for now, just wait until SBAD kicks in!)

SOC 2-band.

Nuff said :biggrin1:

But the 2012 SE is a rather nice brush too.
However it is completely impossible to say what brush you should get. In the end it is a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
The SOC 2 band would be a good choice except that I am not fond of wood handles - just one of those personal things. On the other hand I really like the Semogue acrylic handles. Does anyone have any experience with the Semogue 2040 Silvertip?

The SOC 2012 LE is an excellent brush. It is a really good all rounder and breaks in wonderfully. I think it would be great for you.

The SOC 2 band would be a good choice except that I am not fond of wood handles - just one of those personal things. On the other hand I really like the Semogue acrylic handles. Does anyone have any experience with the Semogue 2040 Silvertip?

See, what did I say; personal preference :)
I love natural materials, and that is why I like the 2-band better, but I don't think you will go wrong with 2012 SE.

I have a 2040 HD and it is "floppy" compared with the SOC's. Floppy is not the right word, but it doesn't have as strong a backbone.
The 730 HD has a little more backbone (than the 2040 HD) but again, nowhere near the SOC's.

What about the 2010 pure badger? Should be cheaper and provide badger softness with more backbone for soaps and croaps $semogue_2010_pure_badger_brush-600-600.jpg

Can anyone who has this confirm it?

See, what did I say; personal preference :)
I love natural materials, and that is why I like the 2-band better, but I don't think you will go wrong with 2012 SE.

I have a 2040 HD and it is "floppy" compared with the SOC's. Floppy is not the right word, but it doesn't have as strong a backbone.
The 730 HD has a little more backbone (than the 2040 HD) but again, nowhere near the SOC's.
\

Thanks for the head's up. I have "floppy." I am looking for backbone.

I haven't tried the 2010 mentioned above, but I have the 750 Best badger and it has a great backbone, and although it has softer tips than I expected upon arrival, it is a bit prickly.
Acrylic handle though, and very good value for money in my opinion. I will go so long to say it is the Semogue that surprised me the most in a positive way, as I expected the Best badger hairs to be more prickly than they are.

My SOCSE replaced my 2 band as my favorite brush. The two do theoretically fill a similar niche, but I find my SOCSE more enjoyable and that it builds the lather faster. Can't fully explain why, though.

I also love the idea of knowing that my brush literally has the best of both worlds. I guess it does up the number of animals who contribute to my morning shave, though: badger, boar, cow (tallow) and sheep (lanolin).

...this observation is noted without comment.

The Shavemac D01 2 band is at the top of my list. Unfortunately, it is a bit too rich for my blood for an everyday purchase.

I got my first high quality badger brush for Father's Day last year. I have already dropped a few not too subtle hints about the merits of the Shavemac 2 band. Other than the fact that she thinks this hobby is entirely nuts, I am hopeful that she will pander to my OCD. As she points out, I started wet shaving because I was angry with Gillette over the cost of their silly blades. I am now the proud owner of 5 razors; 2 brushes; countless creams, croaps and soaps; and enough razor blades to last me to the next millennium. Despite all of my best efforts, I am not satisfied.

My quest for the perfect shave continues.

Last edited:
In my opinion the SOC SE and SOC 2-band has softer tips than the D01. Backbone is similar.

Your quest rodmonster, is one almost all of us are on :biggrin1: (my den consists of about 75 DE's, 50 straight's and 125 brushes)

I can't find anything on this Semogue 2010. All I get is LE acrylic handles and two bands.
Started as a suggestion, turning into an obsession

I appreciate you taking the time to find that for me. I was just looking for a personal review or someone who has had an experience with it. But thanks a lot.

Sorry, I though you were on the hunt for one.
I haven't seen any reviews for any Semogues pure badger either, but am very interested.
I like soft tips and have been avoiding pure badger due to the scritch, but Semogues Best badger is tempting me to try the pure badger.

Top Bottom