What's new

Semogue 1800 vs 1305

Hello, hope everyone's year has been going well! Anyways, I used to have 1305 but recently replaced it with an 830 and sold the 1305. I love the 830. But if I were to get an 1800, is it any different from an 1305? If anyone has both can you please give your opinion? Is it the same exact bristles in a different handle b/c it certainly looks that way. There has to be something as to why there is a 1800 and 1305? Thank you for taking the time and reading this. You guys have a great day!

Short answer: No they are not identical.

I have both, but I must admit I have never compared them head-to-head.

The handle is identical apart from the 1305 being painted and the 1800 being natural, but the hairs in the knot are slightly different.
The 1305 consist of "Premium 90% tops" only whereas the 1800 consists of a mix of "Extra 75% tops" and "Premium 90% tops".

In dry condition I can't distinguish them from each other backbone-wise.

You have got me curious now, I just might have to use both in tomorrows shave now to find out :001_smile

Yes, those are two different brushes.

The 1800 has slightly more backbone, and one of the brushes that I like the most when I use an hard soap. It will take a little longer to break-in than the 1305, but nothing serious.
Also the 1800 will not "bloom" as much as the 1305/830 models.
I consider the 1800 one of the best soaps to use with hard soaps, and certainly the best at its price point.

The 1305 will "bloom" more than the 1800, will be slightly more soft on the face and with a little less backbone than the 1800. But those characteristics make it a very good "jack-of-all-trades", as it performs brilliantly with either soaps or creams, bowl or facelathering.

I was hoping you guys would answer since you two are very big semogue fans like I am. Thank you for reading this!

Well, I have to check a thread including Semogue, you never know what might pop up :wink:

And I'm too curious now, I had planned to use a Vulfix tomorrow but that's not going to happen - I need to test if Oversaturn is right :001_smile

As a heads up i thought the 1305 was almost floppy for my taste after fully broken in. But thats not the case with the 830. Thats my opinion :)!

As a heads up i thought the 1305 was almost floppy for my taste after fully broken in. But thats not the case with the 830. Thats my opinion :)!

Yes, the 830 is a little more dense than the 1305, that's why it has a little more backbone than the 1305.

Okay, I made a head-to-head comparison today.

Soaked the brushes while showering and then lathered up with Erasmic stick and cream (low cost überlather :001_smile)

First pass: I really couldn't tell the difference between them, backbone was equal and splay felled alike too.

Second pass: The 1305 started to splay more and felt maybe a little more soft, but is was marginal.

Third pass: For this one I closed my eyes, twirled the handles so I didn't knew which brush was which and lathered up. I was in no doubt as to which brush was the 1305, I could definitely feel it splayed more, a little less backbone and a little softer on the tips as well. I opened my eyes and I was right :001_smile

Fourth pass: Just enjoying myself here as I had the result :biggrin1:

The 1800 feels more compact during the whole shave and it is a little more prickly, but nothing to write home about.

proxy.php

Good Morning Soren! This is an excellent review. They almost look identical in the handles, one being painted as the other using the natural color of the wood. The Bristles 1305 being soft and 1800 being soft and dense w/ the scritch. 1800 would certainly look nice in Cherry. Its kind of like 1305 being the silvertip of boars and 1800 being the super 2 band of the boars. What do you think?

Not a bad comparison.
The 2009LE and 2011LE are the Super Duper Silvertips of boars, the SOC the Super Silvertip and the 1305 the Silvertip.

The most surprising for me was how the 1800 stayed more compact, as I had the two brushes as close to being identical in my head, but that is how it seems sometimes when they haven't been compared head-to-head.
It is not the first time I have discovered small but yet noticeable differences when I have compared brushes like this.

I know the 1305 has a lot of followers, and with right too it's a great brush, but should I choose between these two, I would take the 1800.
Dense and soft is right down my alley no matter if it is badger or boar.

Okay, I made a head-to-head comparison today.

Soaked the brushes while showering and then lathered up with Erasmic stick and cream (low cost überlather :001_smile)

First pass: I really couldn't tell the difference between them, backbone was equal and splay felled alike too.

Second pass: The 1305 started to splay more and felt maybe a little more soft, but is was marginal.

Third pass: For this one I closed my eyes, twirled the handles so I didn't knew which brush was which and lathered up. I was in no doubt as to which brush was the 1305, I could definitely feel it splayed more, a little less backbone and a little softer on the tips as well. I opened my eyes and I was right :001_smile

Fourth pass: Just enjoying myself here as I had the result :biggrin1:

The 1800 feels more compact during the whole shave and it is a little more prickly, but nothing to write home about.

proxy.php

Your review is right on spot, Soeren! I surely agree with all that you said!

Brushes like the 1305 and 830 actually can "bloom" and "splay" much more than the 1800; a few months ago I took this photo for the Portuguese forum:

proxy.php

You can see the 1305 on front, and the 830 right behind it, on the right.

With the 1800, such "bloom" is not possible, it splays less because of the nature of the "mixed" knot. The "Extra 75% tops" type of hair has more firmness, giving more backbone to the brush, and being so, the 1800 will "bloom" and "splay" a lot less than the 830. As it splays less, yes, it feels more denser than the 1305. And those characteristics make the 1800 a lather machine with hard soaps.

That type of hair is also a little bit pricklier than the "Premium", but once the 1800 is well broken-in, that will be nothing to write home about, and will be hardly indistinguishably in that parameter.

I'm happy I created this thread b/c I couldn't find any comparisons with these two! Thank you very much guys!

So the next question is, what semogue model has the 1800 bristles in an Acrylic Handle? B/c 1305 is in the 830? 1800 is what?

Spot on gents. If I had my druthers, an 1800 knot in a 1305 handle would be most excellent. I prefer the compact characteristics the 1800 maintains without the 1305 splay.

No plexi Semogue with the 1800 mixed knot unfortunately.

Last edited:
Dang! Well I loved the 1305 but i felt that the backbone went down and it looks like the 1800 is my answer!

Well I guess after receiving some great news earlier today I went ahead and got the 1800 from Vintage Scent. There's just something so great about these semogues!

Thanks for visiting the thread. Its a good thread for anyone who wants to know the difference between these two models specifically from Semogue. I guess it would also help anyone make a decision on purchasing a semogue too.

Top Bottom