What's new

Semogue 1305 Paint

Hi All,

I have a Semogue 1305 which I have been breaking in for about 2 weeks. I can't believe how soft the brush started out, much less what it is becoming. I am quite happy that I decided to break in one more boar. The only issue is that, despite extreme care, a small paint bulge is developing on the cream-colored part of the handle. I can tell that it will eventually chip and I have also heard about many issues with the paint on this brush.

Nevertheless, I love the hand-painted handle and I want to preserve the paint. A few years ago, my garage floor paint was peeling. One of the guys in the paint section of the hardware store recommended that I seal the pain with a product called SealKrete Clear-Seal, a water-based "urethane fortified acrylic". Once applied, that stuff makes the paint bulletproof.

I am not certain about the toxicity of the material, but I would guess that it is rather inert after it sets. Any thoughts on the wisdom of applying SealKrete to my brush handle, or does anyone have a better alternative? Also, is the paint that Semogue uses water-based?

Last edited:
Tbh I have no experience using painted handles but are your sure that the bubble/peeling comes from outward immersion into water? I would say that blooming/drying the bristles will lead to much more inward stress on the untreated part of the handle than anything that goes on on the lacquered part.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have a few painted Semogue brushes, a couple of which have had some paint issues. Mostly my doing, the 1438 was dropped and I'm clueless on the chipped 1305. Still both well-loved budget boars and it's now a part of their character and patina that shows use. I wouldn't apply any aftermarket coatings on my brushes @Keyvan . Just use 'em -- they're tools.

full

full

I just can't do the painted handles because of that concern of the paint chipping, which I did have with one. It's a wonderful quality brush though. I just get around that pet peeve by going with an all wood handle or my favorite, an acrylic option. I love clear handles. Semogue could get some quick sales from me by just doing the 830 in tons of different colors. I probably wouldn't use them much but that's okay. I just love that shape. Heck they could get some more sales by using that handle shape in some 28mm or 30mm sizes and make it badger. I'd go for that.

I have a Semogue 1305 with the cream and green handle. It’s a great brush. After a year or so of use and a couple of drops on the bathroom floor, the paint has chipped and peeled off from the handle. I thought about repainting it, but as @nemo said, it’s part of the character of these brushes and look at it as patina. Once the wood is exposed, water soaks into the wood and lifts more paint. There’s not much to be done to stop the process. Paint chips and peeling doesn’t change the awesomeness of the brush.

This is what someone told me quite harshly on another forum years back when I complained about the paint….

“If you don’t like it, then don’t buy a brush with a painted handle again”

Wow!

I have a Semogue 1460. The paint pretty much completely fell of after a month or two, I can't remember. It's now collecting dust because it's just a terrible brush.

Tbh I have no experience using painted handles but are your sure that the bubble/peeling comes from outward immersion into water? I would say that blooming/drying the bristles will lead to much more inward stress on the untreated part of the handle than anything that goes on on the lacquered part.

I don't think that the bubble is from exposure to water. It is on the lower part of the handle (the cream colored part) and I would guess that it is a consequence of the way that they applied the paint. My guess is that the handle was too smooth and unprimed for painting. Also, wood has different consistency. Certain parts of wood structures just don't absorb paint. I was thinking that the acrylic coating would lock the paint in place, but you make a very good point. The blooming and drying of the brush could lead to expansion and contraction of the wood and still crack the paint underneath the acrylic. That would be a mess.

I have a Semogue 1305 with the cream and green handle. It’s a great brush. After a year or so of use and a couple of drops on the bathroom floor, the paint has chipped and peeled off from the handle. I thought about repainting it, but as @nemo said, it’s part of the character of these brushes and look at it as patina. Once the wood is exposed, water soaks into the wood and lifts more paint. There’s not much to be done to stop the process. Paint chips and peeling doesn’t change the awesomeness of the brush.

This is what someone told me quite harshly on another forum years back when I complained about the paint….

“If you don’t like it, then don’t buy a brush with a painted handle again”

Wow!
But, I like the painted handles. It makes me happy to know that a Portuguese craftsman on the other side of the world took the time to hand paint my brush handle :) . I also love the ergonomics and appearance of wood handles. I guess that if you guys can live with the chipped paint, so can I.

I avoid painted handles, be it from Semogue or elsewhere.
I have seen this happen too many times and it seems to be very difficult to make a painted brush impervious to this sort of thing.

I don’t know what causes it, maybe tiny knocks create small cracks in the paint that allow water ingress and eventually chip off the paint.
Whatever the cause, shaving brushes with varnish (e.g. Semogue SOC with wooden handle or DaniDom brushes) don’t seem to have this issue. If I want a shaving brush with a wooden handle, I pick a varnished one where you can see the grain of the wood.

B.

But, I like the painted handles. It makes me happy to know that a Portuguese craftsman on the other side of the world took the time to hand paint my brush handle :) . I also love the ergonomics and appearance of wood handles. I guess that if you guys can live with the chipped paint, so can I.
Don't you think I didn't walk the walk. Mine looks like that after years of use (maybe 9 or 10) and several hours of "repairs". Removing chipped paint from the very first microscopic chip to sanding it down to bare wood, then applying layer after layer of clear acrylic top coats. Some more sanding in between and then more acrylic. At the end I just stopped resisting and fell in love.
Oh well...

Don't you think I didn't walk the walk. Mine looks like that after years of use (maybe 9 or 10) and several hours of "repairs". Removing chipped paint from the very first microscopic chip to sanding it down to bare wood, then applying layer after layer of clear acrylic top coats. Some more sanding in between and then more acrylic. At the end I just stopped resisting and fell in love.
Oh well...

That's impressive. If the brush holds together for 9 years, you won't hear any complaints from me.

That's impressive. If the brush holds together for 9 years, you won't hear any complaints from me.
11 years actually, almost to the day
Breaking in A Semogue 1305 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/breaking-in-a-semogue-1305.274731/#post-3830070

I am not saying I have been using this brush daily since I got it, and admit it has been in a generous rotation. Still, it seems to be holding really well. Actually, after all this talk, I will take mine out and use it tomorrow morning.

This Semogue 1305 is the softest brush I have. It feels like silk on face, while maintaining decent backbone. The shape of the handle is ideal for a shaving brush, practically/ergonomically speaking. In my opinion, anyway. Its neck tapers down to allow for a safe bowl lathering, the waistline allows for a very comfortable grip, in several styles. The length is also optimal. It has a ferule to help holding the knot, as we know boar bristles swell when wet and without that ferule there could be a chance the wooden handle would split.
And if it wasn't clear enough, I will say it... I really like my 1305. :blush:

Top Bottom