What's new

Semogue 1305 Paint Chipping

Hi All,
The Semogue 1305 is my favorite brush, but I've quit using it as the paint is starting to flake off the handle. I thought I might try to clear coat it with a polyurethane or epoxy finish to help reduce further flaking. Does anyone have any recommendations on compatible clear coats or other recommendations to return my Semogue 1305 to the rotation?

Where's the paint coming off, Tim? Does the flaking appear to be the result of impact with your shaving bowl or mug? How large of an area is affected? In any event, I'm unsure of what product would be best to stabilize the remaining paint. Polyurethane might or might not work, but it's probably what I would try. Good luck!

It is flaking off on the handle. No impacts to speak of. It started around the edge near the knot. Right now, it probably totals in the range of 1/2" square. It isn't confined to one specific area. I may try to touch up the affected areas with clear nail polish, or I may go ahead and coat the entire handle in clear.

Not a big deal, I do love the brush, and like how the handle looks. I may not worry about it too much and just let the chips fall where they will.

It is flaking off on the handle. No impacts to speak of. It started around the edge near the knot. Right now, it probably totals in the range of 1/2" square. It isn't confined to one specific area.

You've just described the chipping on my 1305. I haven't been very good about make sure the water level isn't above the brush when I soak it, so I'm sure it's my fault. I've decided to just let it ride. If it gets bad enough I may strip the paint and refinish it, but for a $18 brush, I'm not going to put too much effort into it.

It is flaking off on the handle. No impacts to speak of. It started around the edge near the knot. Right now, it probably totals in the range of 1/2" square. It isn't confined to one specific area. I may try to touch up the affected areas with clear nail polish, or I may go ahead and coat the entire handle in clear.

Not a big deal, I do love the brush, and like how the handle looks. I may not worry about it too much and just let the chips fall where they will.

That's tough luck. The only advice I have to offer is to make sure the handle is fully dried, and then lightly sand with high grit sandpaper to feather the remaining paint adjacent to the bald spots. Finally, seal it up with the clear coating of your choice. I'd probably go with polyurethane.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out.

It happened to mine as well:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I like this brush very much so, I did some sanding, chipping away all loose paint, more sanding and applied three coats of clear polyurethane. More sanding between coats.
I never marred the paint/handle, never soaked it above the knot but did use it a lot. I like it even better now.

This knot feels like silk on skin, with no scritch at all. It does have a good backbone. Did I mention that I really like this brush?

proxy.php

VerbaVolant,
My thoughts on the knot mirror yours. I do love this brush. Mine is chipped in the same fashion as yours did. I have attempted a half hearted repair, similar to yours, substituting clear nail polish for the polyurethane you used. If the nail polish doesn't work out, I'll try something else.

I may looking getting the 1305 knot into a more durable handle if I can't control the paint chipping on this one.

My 1305 recently did the same thing. I really took care to avoid soaking within a half inch of the handle but the paint has flaked anyway.

Regardless, it remains one of my favorite brushes. I'm thinking of stripping all the paint and sealing/waxing the wood.

I've chipped and dinged up my 1305 something awful, most of which has been mostly my fault due to dropping the darn thing. But I love that boar brush, and even after getting my SOC I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. I just epoxied over the chips, sanded things down even, and it looks and works just fine. It seems to have stabilized the chipping, which luckily hasn't expanded since the epoxy. It doesn't look gorgeous, but it has become my travel brush, so I don't mind it getting jostled around.

This is a pretty common occurrence with the 1305 from everything I've read on b&b. I've had one for about a year now and it JUST started flaking like this. I' m in the same boat with the rest of you guys. I LOVE mine. I've been using it almost exclusively because I have a restored ever-ready that is a complete lather hog and a couple others that need new knots. My 1305 took a while to break in, almost to the point of giving up on it. I'm glad I didn't.

I think the problem with the paint is the wood handle. I face lather, so I haven't banged it on any mugs or bowls. I read another post today about boar knots and the capillary effect sucking water into the base of the knot. So even if you soak the brush below the handle, water soaks into the wood. The swelling of the wood causes the paint to crack and flake. What a pity. It's a great brush. Besides...battle scars give 'em character.

...So even if you soak the brush below the handle, water soaks into the wood. The swelling of the wood causes the paint to crack and flake...
1305 knot is set in a metal cup. The "ring" you see at the base of the knot is actually the rolled edge of the cup.

I too look after my brushes and have been using my 1305 for more than a year. Mine started with very small cracks near the "ring" where it is actually impossible to mar or damage paint. Unfortunately it is also nearly impossible to completely dry.

During my "repair" I made sure I scraped all loose paint near the "ring" and saturated that area with polyurethane.

It is after all a $12 brush and I do have two new ones as a back up. Unless a catastrophic defect happens I don't see ever stop using this brush. Chipped paint or not.

Mine has character. And so is yours.

Last edited:
I have a 1470 and it cracked on the third test lather. I love the brush. The painted finish is ridiculously bad though. It is not as if they didn't know these might come in contact with water...

Don't let the paint chips keep this brush out of service. This happens to most, if not all, 1305 brushes. But the shabby appearance of the handle does not affect the business end of the brush, and that's the part that counts.

My 1305 was my favorite brush of the 20 or so in my collection. I reached for it more than my SOCs, more than any of my badgers, more than brushes that cost 10x as much.

I'd still be using it except after 4 years, it got floppy and didn't hold as much water as before. I replaced it with a 620 because of the acrylic handle, but I found out the 620 is not as dense and not as soft.

I really miss my 1305, but after long and faithful service, it earned its retirement. I will probably replace it with an 830 (same knot, acrylic handle) sometime this year.

I have a 1470 and it cracked on the third test lather. I love the brush. The painted finish is ridiculously bad though. It is not as if they didn't know these might come in contact with water...
With as much feedback that's been generated about the painted handles, you'd think that Semogue would have fixed this problem by now. Its not rocket science, and I'm sure the solution is quick, simple and inexpensive.

Maybe, instead of brittle paint, they could cover the handle with something like Plasti-Dip ... this would provide a waterproof protection for the wood and a non-slip grip for the user. Of course, there's nothing to prevent a user at home from doing this as an after-market solution.

With as much feedback that's been generated about the painted handles, you'd think that Semogue would have fixed this problem by now. Its not rocket science, and I'm sure the solution is quick, simple and inexpensive.

Maybe, instead of brittle paint, they could cover the handle with something like Plasti-Dip ... this would provide a waterproof protection for the wood and a non-slip grip for the user. Of course, there's nothing to prevent a user at home from doing this as an after-market solution.

I couldn't agree more. I knew going in that there was a problem and I bought the painted model anyway as I really like how it looks. I was a little shocked at how quickly the cracks appeared though. Love the brush, but you are right, there has to be a fairly simple solution to this from the manufacturers end. It's a shame that the quality is so high in all but one area.

Built my first break-in lather last night. Based off what I've read here, she won't be looking like this for long. Can't wait!

$brush3.JPG

Used this today with Musgo Real. First attempt at face lathering as well. Very satisfied!

Last edited:
yeah my 1305 i have will not get used. it will sit nicely in my display and look pretty for its life lol. im to ocd about the paint flaking off to use it. or maybe ill buy a second one to use and one to keep with my semogue collection im building up. i have a 830 i use which i think is the same or close to the same knot.

I did VerbaVolant's repair, using several coats of clear nail polish over the sanded area and green paint. It has held up well since Jan, used 3 to 4 times per week, with no further chipping or flaking. Still my favorite brush.

I did VerbaVolant's repair, using several coats of clear nail polish...
It wasn't mine. I would never use nail polish (leave that to the girls).

I sanded the handle smooth starting with 200 (IIRC). I then put two or three coats of polyurethane, sanding between coats (with 400)

It is polyurethane.

Anyway, glad it worked for you.

Top Bottom