What's new

Semogue 1305 boar brush

Finally pulled the trigger earlier tonight. You guys are enablers! Anyone have a broken in 1305 that could compare it to a Kent BK4? I've used other brushes besides the Kent in the past, but once I started with the Kent, I haven't found the need to use or get another brush. Any heavy cream users care to comment on it's cream lathering abilities as well?

V

VR6ofpain

This is an interesting brush. Very different than the boars I have used previous (one still in use is the "drug store" van der Hagen brush, with the forest green handle). The shafts of the bristles are extremely stiff, while the overall feel of the tips is soft. I found a couple thicker scratchy bristles which I promptly trimmed down to the bottom of the knot (I don't like scratchiness). Now the brush works pretty good.

The only odd part I noticed was it seems to not hold any lather. Basically it leaves all the soap or cream on your face with the first lathering. This is something that would probably not be an issue if you used a mug. I face lather, and normally the brush soaks up a bit of lather, so that I can do a second pass without needing to add more soap or cream to the bristle tips. In this case the 1305 does not seem to be holding enough for a second lathering. My simple solution is just running it over the soap a little between passes. No issue at all, but I do not normally need to do this.

The look of this brush is great, with a nice coloring to the boar bristles and an amazingly beautiful handle. Very retro barbershop esque.

Recommended!!

I am going to try putting more soap in to see how it works. This really isn't too bad, as you just need to build up more soap onto the tips (or add more cream)

anyone with the 2000? I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the mail now.

People are going nuts with the 1305, but the 2000 with a loft of 60 mm is a real lather monster. Very soft and with serious lather holding capabilities. Suitable for soaps and creams.

I've had a 2000 for a little while now, and I love it.

I have been using it everyday to break it in asap. I haven't tried it with creams, but it is a great, comfortable facelatherer. I prefer it to my silvertip for comfort.

I also own the 1305, and I love that one too. I couldn't be happier with my semogues. I have even purchased backups for each so I will be set for a very long time.

Put the order in for a Semogue 1305 on July 11, received it today!
I actually thought I was going to be receiving a slightly smaller brush given the descriptions that I had read. I always knew the loft (52mm), but I did not realize that the total height of the brush would be over 105mm. Thats not really a small brush now is it??
Anyway, cannot wait to try it. I already have an Omega "Capodomonte" Boar from Ems Place (Zachsters' should know this brush), testing the new Vulfix 2233 Boar (now this one is small) and now the 1305. You gotta love the handle on this Semogue!!

I actually thought I was going to be receiving a slightly smaller brush given the descriptions that I had read. I always knew the loft (52mm), but I did not realize that the total height of the brush would be over 105mm. Thats not really a small brush now is it??
Anyway, cannot wait to try it. I already have an Omega "Capodomonte" Boar from Ems Place (Zachsters' should know this brush), testing the new Vulfix 2233 Boar (now this one is small) and now the 1305. You gotta love the handle on this Semogue!!

I didn't get mine yet and ordered on July 11 also. My shipped on July 14. Maybe today will be my lucky day.

Did you receive it UPS, Fedex, or USPS?

Finally pulled the trigger earlier tonight. You guys are enablers! Anyone have a broken in 1305 that could compare it to a Kent BK4? I've used other brushes besides the Kent in the past, but once I started with the Kent, I haven't found the need to use or get another brush. Any heavy cream users care to comment on it's cream lathering abilities as well?

I have both. Both brushes are good allrounders - but are all in all very diffrent animals (pun intended).

Regards.

Jakob

I ordered my Semogue 1305 this morning, and I'm anxious to give it a shot. I do like the somewhat retro look of this brush as well...

Thanks.

Nothing today. Hopefully tomorrow.

Your patience will be rewarded. I received my 1305 about a week ago and I've used it every day since.
It was a bit dusty:eek:? I think when I got it (maybe from storage) because the water ran brown when I first used it.
It's breaking in nicely now and absorbing more soap - enough for two passes and a touch up. Tips are nice and soft as other guys have said. Great retro look and you really can't go wrong for 22 Aussie dollars.
Cheers
Paul

It was a bit dusty:eek:? I think when I got it (maybe from storage) because the water ran brown when I first used it.

Mine did the same thing. My thought was that it was dye from the bristles leeching into the water, but that's just a guess.

Mine did the same thing. My thought was that it was dye from the bristles leeching into the water, but that's just a guess.

That also happened to me with a Men-U boar brush I purchased and returned at Ulta for $20. I probably didn't give it a chance but it was terrible. I also read on the forum that the Men-U brush for $20 is not nearly as good as the more expensive Men-U brush.

Top Bottom