What's new

Selvage denim?

I'm curious. I know nothing. I don't really want to dive into the message boards that deal with selvage denim. Anybody here want to edumacate me a little and maybe make some recommendations? I need some jeans & want some awesome ones I'll have for a decade.

"All the word really means is that it's been woven on a shuttle loom" old school style made, Kaihara, Levis, J. Crew. Evisu, there are lots of brands. You can easily find some with a google search. :thumbup1: I got me a nice pair for $30 at a Tjmaxx clearence rack. regular pair is $150+ but I think well worth it as I have one other pair that was $250 but its my go to, awesomenees jeans lol

I mean, I knew that stuff, I guess. I have no access to TJ Maxx. Anybody have any recommendations for brands or styles? What to look for? I understand that the term itself is in the process of being watered down somewhat--who's doing it right?

Denim AD is very serious. Tha being said, once you get into it you'll never go back.

Japanese denim is great. I had a pair raw nudies and wore holes through them. Now i've got some levis capital e's.

Doesn't that get smelly?

Actually, no. I rarely wash my jeans. I'll go six months without washing my Levis and they don't stink at all. The indigo look lasts forever. I'll turn my jeans inside out and hang em so they stay nice. When I do wash them I hand wash em in Woolite and line dry.

That being said, I also don't normally do anything in my good jeans that would require them to be washed after every wearing. For that I reserve my stinky jeans that have been washed umpteen times.

Selvedge is nice stuff and a solid upgrade from most jeans you'd buy at the store. If you want to try out the raw denim thing without dropping serious coin ($150+) on japanese selvedge grab a pair of Levis 501 STF. Get them in your true size (not the size up crap they say on the website) and wear the hell out of them. If you like what you see, grab a pair of APCs and work your way up.
Watch out though, it's a slippery slope.

Top Bottom