What's new

Self-Shaving Back of Neck

I am definitely not a new DE shaver. However, with the Rona and no barber visits, and with thinning hair, I've been just keeping my head really tight for the past few months. Honestly think it looks pretty good and saving some money on haircuts has been nice.

However, I continue to struggle how to shave the back of my neck. Obviously I can get it short with the trimmer and guard, but I'm having the difficulty with getting the hairline edge correct.

Especially as you turn your head to look in the mirror, it pulls your skin out of its "normal" position...you can't get the line straight.

Are there any specific techniques to doing this yourself? I'd ideally prefer to use the electric trimmer and then finish with a clean razor shave (I don't really care if I have to use DE, straight, shavette, or Gillette Fusion). Are there special attachments or longer handles or anything? How do you ensure a nice straight line?

Oh, and doing it yourself... having someone else do it isn't really possible.

I have done it two ways.

1- cleanup what I can see in the mirror from each side, then shave with a DE from left to right keeping it steady and trying to bring the razor across nice and level. It works well enough for me.

2- I wear a necklace. Basically allow the side of the razor to ride the necklace as you shave from one side to the other. Putting some tension on the chain to keep it in place. Cleaner more consistent results, but not as high up as I prefer.

Stand with your back to the big mirror. Hold a hand mirror in one hand so you can see the back of your head reflecting from the big mirror. Use the razor to shave with the other hand. Use shaving cream, but apply a thin transparent layer, so you can see what you are doing. Follow-up with cold water rinse, aftershave or balm.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I stand with my back to a mirror on the door of my bathroom cabinet and hold a hand mirror in one hand and the razor in the other. I swap hands half way across and that way I can view the back without turning my head. I never use shaving cream and just use a dry razor followed by some basic moisturiser and maybe a splash of aftershave. I have been using this method and also cutting my own hair with clippers for several years now albeit a simple grade 1 on the sides and back and a 2 or 3 on the top.

I do an ATG shave on the back of my neck--from the bottom of the neck to the hairline, usually shaving it each time I start a new razor blade. I use shaving cream, otherwise it burns afterwards. Like others I use a hand mirror with my back to the big bathroom mirror.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am definitely not a new DE shaver. However, with the Rona and no barber visits, and with thinning hair, I've been just keeping my head really tight for the past few months. Honestly think it looks pretty good and saving some money on haircuts has been nice.

However, I continue to struggle how to shave the back of my neck. Obviously I can get it short with the trimmer and guard, but I'm having the difficulty with getting the hairline edge correct.

Especially as you turn your head to look in the mirror, it pulls your skin out of its "normal" position...you can't get the line straight.

Are there any specific techniques to doing this yourself? I'd ideally prefer to use the electric trimmer and then finish with a clean razor shave (I don't really care if I have to use DE, straight, shavette, or Gillette Fusion). Are there special attachments or longer handles or anything? How do you ensure a nice straight line?

Oh, and doing it yourself... having someone else do it isn't really possible.
In my experience, a cart or disposable is the easiest. It is something you just want to get over with.

I do my own haircuts (I have a buzzcut) and I cut my hair every 2 weeks, I also trim my neck when I do the cut
First off, make sure your current neckline is straight, done by a barber.
After that, it's easy to maintain. Just get a hanheld mirror, and stand with your back to your reg mirror so you can see your neck. Get the razor in the other hand, and just trim it at the outline of your current neckline.
If you do this every week or every other wek (Like me) it is very easy to maintain nice and evenly trimmed neckhair.
It's really easy actually, so don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

These days I do a single ‘clean up’ pass at the back of my neck: WTG only I using my (non-dominant) left hand to feel what I want to leave on my hairline while straigtening my skin at the back of my neck.

Gotta report back after 2 attempts.

result: I have no idea how you guys can possibly do this.

big mirror in front of my sink. Handheld mirror with me.

I can’t even SEE where the natural hair line would be. You’re so far away even at the front of the countertop that you just cant get enough detail.

and then I’m trying to hold the mirror to side or above or wherever I can to be able to see the razor as well as the back of my Neck.

And then the razor in the mirror is impossible, even if I could see the hair line. Down is up and left and right and the razor twists.

tried DE and shavette. Both are terrible.

honestly I just quit both times after about 2 attempted pulls of the razor. I’m gonna botch the line and will be crooked or I’m gonna mess up and take a chunk out of my hair.

I may try one more time but if I can’t see and can’t get it straight this is a total waste of time. It’s beyond infuriating.

Ive been doing self-haircuts at home and I simply get as much of it as I can with a clipper and then do the rest with an electric razor. Im not sure that Id want to try that with a DE.
Youre pretty much going to have to just stand with your back to the mirror and hold a hand mirror in your hand so that you can see what youre doing.

I use a DE and no mirror to shave the back of my neck every 3-4 days. Lather, one pass down WTG, rinse, lather, one pass up ATG. Rinse, and check for stubble with my hand.

I ride either the cap or the guard, and then tip in just enough to let the blade barely make contact with my skin. When in doubt, less pressure. You can always take another stroke, or make another pass.

It took a few tries, but I've gotten comfortable doing this without looking. Now it seems simple. Just go easy.

I use a straight razor and do the back of the neck every shave without looking.
I'm not particularly hairy there but has become a habit as the barber normally does this when I get a cut.
I found it harder at the beginning to look in the mirror.
Go by feel.

What I've been doing in between haircuts is I use my Mach 3 on the back of my neck. I just shave in an upward motion and I can do a pretty good job of neatening it up. But that's all I'll use the Mach 3 for.

Top Bottom