What's new

Self Sharp adjustable de razor ?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I saw a few photos on the Internet, but I couldn't find other pictures or more detailed information and operation videos, so I posted it on B&B to seek the knowledge of gentlemen.

The only mention from the Internet source is :
"Vintage Self Sharp Adjustable DE Safety Razor With Leather Pouch, No Manufacturer Markings On Razor, Label On The Pouch Reads Self Sharp Razor Co., Turloc, California"

At first, I noticed the strange slash of the cap, and then I started rummaging for this razor.
self sharp adj-01.jpg

There is also a peculiar shape under the base plate. From the "self sharp" description, I guess it may be similar to the operation of "stanford 5 seconds".
It seems that the exposure can be increased/decreased by changing the position of the blade in the head.
self sharp adj-02.jpg

↓ "stanford 5 seconds"
h418734315.1.jpg

The picture below the closer base plate.
There are no more information from the source.
self sharp adj-03.jpg

Seek the wisdom of gentlemen. Grateful. :)

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Maybe it's a one of a kind, made by a machinist or metal worker of some kind as a prototype, or just a design they thought of.

ERS4

Maybe it's a one of a kind, made by a machinist or metal worker of some kind as a prototype, or just a design they thought of.
I also guess that there is a possibility, but it has precise stamping processing according to the details, so it may have entered the production line process.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I saw a few photos on the Internet, but I couldn't find other pictures or more detailed information and operation videos, so I posted it on B&B to seek the knowledge of gentlemen.

The only mention from the Internet source is :
"Vintage Self Sharp Adjustable DE Safety Razor With Leather Pouch, No Manufacturer Markings On Razor, Label On The Pouch Reads Self Sharp Razor Co., Turloc, California"

At first, I noticed the strange slash of the cap, and then I started rummaging for this razor.
View attachment 1377897

There is also a peculiar shape under the base plate. From the "self sharp" description, I guess it may be similar to the operation of "stanford 5 seconds".
It seems that the exposure can be increased/decreased by changing the position of the blade in the head.
View attachment 1377898
↓ "stanford 5 seconds"
View attachment 1377901
The picture below the closer base plate.
There are no more information from the source.
View attachment 1377899

Seek the wisdom of gentlemen. Grateful. :)
There was a lot of different designs for sharpening blades mainly in the 1930's (dirty thirties) for sharpening carbon steel blades. I don't think that razor caught on because it is the first time seeing one.
I have a glass strop for getting a little more life out of blades during the 1930's time line.(I bought mine at a antique store because of curiosity)
oddities #1.jpg

Have some great shaves!

ERS4

There was a lot of different designs for sharpening blades mainly in the 1930's (dirty thirties) for sharpening carbon steel blades. I don't think that razor caught on because it is the first time seeing one.
I have a glass strop for getting a little more life out of blades during the 1930's time line.(I bought mine at a antique store because of curiosity)
View attachment 1377913
Have some great shaves!

"Self sharp" does have a high probability of being a product of the Great Depression.
I have thought about buying some of them, but after reading the discussion, it seems that they have limited effect on thinner and cheaper modern blades.

Top Bottom