What's new

Self lather soap...?

So I was washing my hands at work and while I was getting some more soap I got to thinking...Has anyone ever tried this self lathering soap at home to shave?

I don't know if its stronger than regular shaving soap so it might irritate the skin and the lather might not last as long. I mean, I don't think I'll be trying this any time soon...but just wondering what you guys thought of this. I attached some pictures that I took after my hand washing of the dispenser, so you know what I'm talking about, and the foaming soap.

I suppose that if you really wanted to do this you could, but...there are so many great products out there, why would you even want to?

FWIW, it doesn't look like that foamy stuff would provide any protection at all. In fact, I agree with you -- it would probably irritate your skin. It's meant to be a disinfecting hand soap, after all. You'd probably be better off shaving your face with no soap & cold water than using that stuff. :thumbdown

I don't think that kind of foam would work well at all. It's meant to be airy not slick from all the times I've used it.

It's a lot like the canned stuff that foams up after you eject it... except it's got more air and less lubrication.

In my opinion it would be pretty close to useless for shaving. I mean no offense by this, but... if that's what your lather looks/feels like (if it looks or feels like the foaming handsoap you're talking about) you're doing something wrong.

yeah, lol, my lather looks nothing like this...

...like I said, I don't think I'll be trying this anytime soon, unless I'm out of everything and don't have money for a decent soap...

Newbies post the weirdest stuff. :blink:

BTW, we call "self-lathering" soap "goo." It usually comes in a can instead of a box attached to the wall of a public bathroom.

First to arrive at work in the mail was my Progress, and second to arrive was my impatience. So I went to the men's room, noticed that the pink goo soap had been replaced with the foaming kind. So I went for it.

I got about 3 shaves in before I consistently was dealing with significant razor burn.

That is not lather.

That is foam. Period.

If you know what's good for you, do NOT shave with foam, of any kind. If the lather you make looks like foam, keep practicing until it does not.

That is not lather.

That is foam. Period.

If you know what's good for you, do NOT shave with foam, of any kind. If the lather you make looks like foam, keep practicing until it does not.

Exactly what I was going to say. If this stuff reminds you of lather, you need to work on your lather.

And of course there's an enormous difference between the lather produced by a shaving soap/cream and that produced by other types of soap. Simply because it is a soap does not mean that it will do anything to result in a decent or comfortable shave.

Top Bottom