What's new

Self Heating Shave Cream?

I was just at Fred Meyer and saw a bottle, must have been Van Der Hagen or Cremo that claimed to be self heating.

Has anyone tried a product like this, or know what kind of reaction is happening there?

It sounds like a good idea, but it also sounds like it could be a bad idea for sensitive skin.

I wonder if they use zeolite, a type of volcanic ash that undergoes an exothermic reaction when exposed to water. That stuff has been used in self-heating lotions and such for at least a few years now.

I suspect that it would cause one's rosacea to flare up as the skin warmed.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Don’t know, interesting though. Might be great cream in a cold climate. Hopefully someone else has had experience with this type of cream.

I read on the Sharpologist blog (I believe?) that the self-heating cream doesn't work very well.

Yes, it's based on having zeolite clay in it.

The cream is made by Van Der Hagen, which has made a number of doozy's like this over the years. Whereas Cremo's products tend to be good performers across the board.

I remember my grandfather used a self heating canned goo when I was a kid. There was a can still hanging around when I found a box of his things that my grandmother had kept, along with his fatboy and his mlord. I gave it a try and it still warmed a little. But then again it was 28 years old, or so. Here is what it was
16633266502_9a549b2469_b.jpg

Zeolite is a silicate clay substance that is composed of ultra-fine particles, making it slippery. It is commonly used to make shaving soaps slicker. Bentonite is a similar material that performs the same. It is commonly used to absorb spilled oil in machine and automotive shops. It is also used in cat litter.

If either material would heat upon addition of moisture, my kitty litter box would have surely exploded by now from the feline crew whizzing into it ...

Self heating shave cream? There's a well-known saying attributed to PT Barnum that aptly covers this topic.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I remember my grandfather used a self heating canned goo when I was a kid. There was a can still hanging around when I found a box of his things that my grandmother had kept, along with his fatboy and his mlord. I gave it a try and it still warmed a little. But then again it was 28 years old, or so. Here is what it wasView attachment 1032089
I used that stuff back in the 70’s and it came out pretty hot - like the barber shop machines. Kind of a fad thing.

Gillette still had the self heating canned goo in the early 80's. I remember using it. Warmed up ok, about the same as hot tap water in a scuttle from what I recall. No where near as warm as a barbershop machine.

For me Cremo was a self heating cream. My face felt like it was on fire during use. Does that count?

I remember back in the early 70's My Dad or one of my brothers had bought one of those machines that heated p a can of foam so you could have a hot lather.

For a warm lather I will stick with my scuttle. I don't need chemical burns on my face. It has happened more than once with the reaction on the face from shave soaps/creams.

Top Bottom