What's new

Seiko Turtle. Finally.

It took me a while. But I finally pulled the trigger on a Seiko SRP777 "Turtle." MSRP is around $475.00 but you can find them from US sellers online for around $250-300. Even less from grey market sellers in Singapore and Hong Kong.

IMG_5974.JPG

I've always been fascinated with automatic/self-winding watches. My dad wore several throughout the years including a Seiko 6105 in the 1970's. As a kid I used to like playing with them because I got a kick out of hearing the rotor spinning inside the case (ahh the magic of childhood without electronic media devices!).

So throughout the years I've been into wearing various mechanical watches and I have been loyal to my love for dive watches especially Seiko models. I haven't found a nice 6105 yet. But I have gone through several really nice 6309s. Generally I stick with vintage watches.

But when Seiko released a model based on the 6309 I had to have it! And here it is. Finally! Sitting nicely with a couple 6309s I keep in rotation:

IMG_5938.JPG

All this time I just assumed the Turtle was identical to the 6309 except for some modern improvements. But it's actually a little bit different:

IMG_5973.JPG

Unless I'm imagining things, the case looks slightly larger and has some different angles. The dial is slightly different as well. The hands are beefier. The bezel is an upgraded 120-click unidirectional mechanism instead of the 60-click bidirectional bezel on the old 6309s.

IMG_5972.JPG

Here's a lume shot. The lume is fantastic:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Here it is next to a 6309 I had re-lumed with SuperLuminova:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Nicely done Seiko! This is a lot of watch for the price.

now that's something to live a life with. Great find, the back history of your interest is really appreciated too. After years of quartz and cell phones I realized Be Prepared really meant having a time piece with a mechanical chronograph; just in case. Glad I did, now I topple at the precipice of watch acquisition disorder! Oh well!

Very nice! Very similar to the older one but the case is a bit larger.

I've entertained acquiring a 6309-7040. Perhaps it'd be better to just go new.

awesome! i bought a 777 turtle about a month ago and i love it! The stock band is one of my favourite, i did take it off though so i could put the turtle on a rubber nato and nowadays its living on a perlon strap. Either way im in love with this watch!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have thus far limited myself to just one refurbished Seiko 5 from I believe to be my birth year, 1962. I purchased it from India a few years ago. Absolutely love it. Paid maybe $15 bucks for it.
I don't own more because the War Department has not allocated the funds. So I doubt a new Seiko is in my near future, since I did volunteer for the duration, plus 6 months, lol.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Congrats. Fantastic time piece and great collection. I'm a big fan of Seiko automatics and gave a skx007. These are just too big for me personally but I've checked them out. Also looked at the padi designated models and the samurai models. All in all fantastic stuff at a price point thats really ridiculous.

Those look awesome. If I ever get into buying expensive watches, that is exactly what I'd be looking for. I love that style.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Those look awesome. If I ever get into buying expensive watches, that is exactly what I'd be looking for. I love that style.
At $300 these are the biggest bargain in quality automatic watches. Hardly expensive.

Great post.

I'm in the market for my second Seiko automatic. I have the field watch variety now SNZG13 I think. I was looking to grab the Seiko lookalike to the Rolex submariner (as I love that watch) but you've turned me into these turtles now. Luckily I have at least a month before I get the funds for the next purchase - so plenty time to research. I like that these turtles have some history. That might tip the scale for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Glad it's not expensive for you.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not trying to be insulting. Just saying for a quality work horse automatic watch that will last a lifetime and never needs as battery these are an insane value at the price point.

@SamariJack

I think you're contemplating a Seiko SNZF17K1. Very nice

IMG_5986.JPG

However, if you're looking for a nice submariner homage, consider the Invicta 17044 as well. Same price point and it has a Seiko NH35A movement in it:

IMG_5988.JPG

Or if you want to get a really accurate homage watch, you can pick up a Parnis Submariner. It's about as close as you can get without going full counterfeit:

IMG_5989.JPG

I'm really into my new Turtle. A couple of other selling points I didn't mention before. It has drilled lugs. This is awesome for guys that like changing their straps to suit their moods.

IMG_5991.JPG

The movement hacks too. A bonus for us watch geeks who like to compare our watch performance to the Atomic Clock.

Very nice, been slowly going down that rabbit hole on automatic watches but the cost only allows me getting one after many many months of Ramen Noodles

Top Bottom