What's new

Seiko SNZG - my review

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
A couple weeks ago I received a lovely new Seiko field watch as a birthday present. I thought I would write a review in case anyone else is interested in this model. It is an SNZG09J1 to be exact - the "09" means it has the green dial and the "J1" means it was made in Japan (although apparently that might not actually be the case).
IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4780.JPG

Note: this is not the stock strap. I put it on a brown Horween Chromexcel strap from E3 Supply Co. Awesome leather strap, by the way.

With a budget under $200, there were three main things I wanted - 1) automatic movement 2) classic field watch style 3) a green dial. The SNZG series of watches can be had for around $100 and pretty much met my requirements spot on. The SNZG's movement is famously robust and reliable. In the two weeks I've had it, it has kept excellent time. I haven't measured it down to the second, but its good enough for me. Unfortunately, the movement does not hand-wind or hack seconds. Although those would be nice features, I don't need to wind it manually since I wear it just about everyday, and I don't bother to set the time down to the second. As you can see, the dial is bog standard, easy to read, field watch - nothing fancy, no superfluous sub-dials or oversized stylized numerals. The 42mm stainless steal case is the perfect size and shape for my 8 1/2" wrist and has a nice bead-blasted finish. The crown operates crisply. Pull it out to the first position to quick-set the day and date and the second position to set the time. No fuss, no muss. I love the dark OD green color of the 09 version; it suites my Army background. The dial also has excellent contrast, making it very easy to read in low light. Plus, it has fantastic lume that shines like it's on fire for several minutes after its charged and stays easily readable for many hours. Without charging it overnight, I can still make it out in my dark bedroom when I wake up at 5 in the morning. I'm kind of on the fence about the thick chapter ring around the dial. On the one hand, it gives the watch a little different character than the Hamilton Khaki and other World War II-style field watches and adds some 3D interest to the watch face. On the other hand, I wish it were about half as thick and maybe beveled to make it less chunky. Nevertheless, I'm learning to appreciate the distinctiveness it gives the watch.

For those who aren't into green, the other dial colors in the SNZG series are quite nice too - cream, "air force" blue, and black. The black dial can be had with a bead blasted case like mine, a brushed case with matching bracelet, and particularly nice looking tacti-cool gunmetal case and bracket.

I did want to mention a couple competing watches that I cross-shopped before "suggesting" the SNZG09J1 to my birthday benefactor - the Seiko SNK805 and the Orient Defender. The SNK805 is the green version in the SNK series. It uses the same movement and costs about a third less than the bigger SNZG watches. However, at 37mm, the SNK is a touch small for my tastes. Also, I'm not a fan of the flieger-style dial (triangle at 12 o'clock with minute instead of hour markings). Functionally, the only real difference is the SNK has a water resistance of only 30m verses the SNZG's more robust 100m. (30m WR is watch industry speak for "don't even think about getting this watch wet") I will say that the SNK is probably the best deal in automatic watches, especially when they can be had on sale in the $50+ range. It would be a perfect watch to buy for my sons.

The Defender is another very interesting field watch that costs about the same as, or slightly more than, the SNZG. For those who might not know, Orient and Seiko are like the Chevy and Ford of affordable Japanese watches. Both are very comparable, and both have their fan clubs. The Defender is roughly the same shape and size as the SNZG - both 42mm. Also similar to the SNZG, its movement doesn't hack or hand-wind, and it has 100m WR. However, the Defender has a much more modern take on the field watch style. Although useless, its sub-dials for 24-hour and day-of-the-week look cool and give the dial a sophisticated vibe without being too busy. Functionally, the Defender's only advantage over the SNZG is its screw-down crown, which would be a reassuring feature for regular swimming or other water sports. On the downside, the Defender's day-of-the-week dial doesn't quick-set, making it fussy to operate. A couple of things different might have swayed me towards the Defender over the SNZG - 1) if the 24 hour sub-dial could be independently set to show a second timezone (it can't) or 2) it had a green dial version (the granite version is a unique brownish-gray - a very nice color that has a similar effect as OD green, but I really - really - wanted a green field watch). I could envision a Defender perhaps gracing my wrist in the future if the watch bug keeps biting, but for now, overall, the Seiko SNZG had a clear advantage for me.

So anyway, there's my overlong review (sort of) of the Seiko SNZG and quasi-comparo with other field watches on my radar screen. If anyone else has experience with any of the these watches or other types of field watches, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
I have the exact same watch. I too replaced the strap, but in favor of a black rubber. This a great watch for the price point.

18A47033-F182-4A8C-892D-C340CB705F02.jpeg

I will upgrade at some point. The watch arrived the day I had to drive to Detroit for a meeting so I stopped in at kohls department store on my way out of town and bought the $8 strap! I didn’t like the look of the green nato at all although it was quite comfortable. That brown leather @tankerjohn has is very nice.

tankerjohn

Thanks all for the compliments.

@tchip13 - I like what you did there. The rubber strap looks nice and purposeful. You've got it rather understrapped too - very James Bond. I agree with you completely on the stock canvas strap. Its actually quite nice and high quality. But why did Seiko have to make it green? Kind of green overload. They should ship the green canvas strap with the black and beige watches and the green one with a khaki or black strap.

You definitely get a lot of bangs for your buck with Seiko 5 watches
I had a Seiko SNKM77 like this one - I liked the simple, military inspired styling, not to mention a passing resemblance to the Rolex Explorer
proxy.php

My 85 yo Dad is wearing it now because his Festina watch gave up the ghost last year
lol

A couple weeks ago I received a lovely new Seiko field watch as a birthday present. I thought I would write a review in case anyone else is interested in this model. It is an SNZG09J1 to be exact - the "09" means it has the green dial and the "J1" means it was made in Japan (although apparently that might not actually be the case).
View attachment 846106

View attachment 846107
Note: this is not the stock strap. I put it on a brown Horween Chromexcel strap from E3 Supply Co. Awesome leather strap, by the way.

With a budget under $200, there were three main things I wanted - 1) automatic movement 2) classic field watch style 3) a green dial. The SNZG series of watches can be had for around $100 and pretty much met my requirements spot on. The SNZG's movement is famously robust and reliable. In the two weeks I've had it, it has kept excellent time. I haven't measured it down to the second, but its good enough for me. Unfortunately, the movement does not hand-wind or hack seconds. Although those would be nice features, I don't need to wind it manually since I wear it just about everyday, and I don't bother to set the time down to the second. As you can see, the dial is bog standard, easy to read, field watch - nothing fancy, no superfluous sub-dials or oversized stylized numerals. The 42mm stainless steal case is the perfect size and shape for my 8 1/2" wrist and has a nice bead-blasted finish. The crown operates crisply. Pull it out to the first position to quick-set the day and date and the second position to set the time. No fuss, no muss. I love the dark OD green color of the 09 version; it suites my Army background. The dial also has excellent contrast, making it very easy to read in low light. Plus, it has fantastic lume that shines like it's on fire for several minutes after its charged and stays easily readable for many hours. Without charging it overnight, I can still make it out in my dark bedroom when I wake up at 5 in the morning. I'm kind of on the fence about the thick chapter ring around the dial. On the one hand, it gives the watch a little different character than the Hamilton Khaki and other World War II-style field watches and adds some 3D interest to the watch face. On the other hand, I wish it were about half as thick and maybe beveled to make it less chunky. Nevertheless, I'm learning to appreciate the distinctiveness it gives the watch.

For those who aren't into green, the other dial colors in the SNZG series are quite nice too - cream, "air force" blue, and black. The black dial can be had with a bead blasted case like mine, a brushed case with matching bracelet, and particularly nice looking tacti-cool gunmetal case and bracket.

I did want to mention a couple competing watches that I cross-shopped before "suggesting" the SNZG09J1 to my birthday benefactor - the Seiko SNK805 and the Orient Defender. The SNK805 is the green version in the SNK series. It uses the same movement and costs about a third less than the bigger SNZG watches. However, at 37mm, the SNK is a touch small for my tastes. Also, I'm not a fan of the flieger-style dial (triangle at 12 o'clock with minute instead of hour markings). Functionally, the only real difference is the SNK has a water resistance of only 30m verses the SNZG's more robust 100m. (30m WR is watch industry speak for "don't even think about getting this watch wet") I will say that the SNK is probably the best deal in automatic watches, especially when they can be had on sale in the $50+ range. It would be a perfect watch to buy for my sons.

The Defender is another very interesting field watch that costs about the same as, or slightly more than, the SNZG. For those who might not know, Orient and Seiko are like the Chevy and Ford of affordable Japanese watches. Both are very comparable, and both have their fan clubs. The Defender is roughly the same shape and size as the SNZG - both 42mm. Also similar to the SNZG, its movement doesn't hack or hand-wind, and it has 100m WR. However, the Defender has a much more modern take on the field watch style. Although useless, its sub-dials for 24-hour and day-of-the-week look cool and give the dial a sophisticated vibe without being too busy. Functionally, the Defender's only advantage over the SNZG is its screw-down crown, which would be a reassuring feature for regular swimming or other water sports. On the downside, the Defender's day-of-the-week dial doesn't quick-set, making it fussy to operate. A couple of things different might have swayed me towards the Defender over the SNZG - 1) if the 24 hour sub-dial could be independently set to show a second timezone (it can't) or 2) it had a green dial version (the granite version is a unique brownish-gray - a very nice color that has a similar effect as OD green, but I really - really - wanted a green field watch). I could envision a Defender perhaps gracing my wrist in the future if the watch bug keeps biting, but for now, overall, the Seiko SNZG had a clear advantage for me.

So anyway, there's my overlong review (sort of) of the Seiko SNZG and quasi-comparo with other field watches on my radar screen. If anyone else has experience with any of the these watches or other types of field watches, I'd love to hear it.

Does it fit easily under a long sleeve button up shirt?

What a coincidence! I saw this thread come up as a New Post and I happen to be wearing mine (on a one-piece NATO from strapcode)

FullSizeRender.jpg

On a one-piece NATO strap, absolutely not because it raises the watch 2-3mm. Even on a regular strap, this watch has an 11mm case thickness. So it is Ok, but not ideal for a long sleeve dress shirt.

It will fit under the sleeve. However, the squareness of the case profile and the width of the case will cause it to trap your sleeve occasionally. How often will depend on how big your wrists are and how fitted your cuffs. If that kind of thing irritates you, then it might be best to consider a slimmer watch.

Sounds good enough for me. I’ll live with my Seiko diving watch not being under my sleeve, but a watch like the SNZG13 (with a metal bracelet) I’d prefer to have it under.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great watch and excellent review. Thanks. I love Seiko watches. I have quite a few Seiko's of various models both quartz and manual/automatic movements. Most of mine are older styles from the 70's, 80's and 90's. I feel like splurging now on something new.

tankerjohn

I agree with #Chango. On a NATO, no way. On the leather strap I have, just barely. I think my green SNZG works nicely with my tweed coat and wool tie getups, but would be a bit too rustic for anything more formal. The black SNZG on the bracelet is dressier and a good dive watch alternative for those of us with less nautical leanings.

Top Bottom