What's new

GIVEAWAY! Seiko Prospex Diver - modified - runs slow

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow, what a PIF - I have self-calibrated a couple Scuba Dude's and assume a Seiko would work on the same principle (a thousand minute moves until it is up to snuff). I would sure like the opportunity to try it!

I am in and will pay to have it callibrated without a doubt. What a wonderful offering. I've been pricing out some watches as I currently do not have a timepiece. So this would be my one and only. The looks are right up my alley and would wear well I feel. Certainly out of my price range, so feeling blessed for the opportunity. Its going to be a very long week indeed.

I'm in! Fantastic PIF sir, WOW. I'm a watch admirer and daily wearer among other vices here on B&B. Best of luck to everyone.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I checked the movement on the back. It is a 4R36, and the Seiko service center movement service, including calibration for accuracy for that movement, is $153.54 according to their website.
Hey! That's awesome. Knowing nothing about watches that definitely is helpful in making a decision. I am in. Thank you for the chance.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Not too late at all, folks! A couple of more details about it ...

1. The band is a Strapcode steel engineer band. Unfortunately, because I did not anticipate giving this watch away, I don't have any links for it, nor do I have the original Seiko steel band which was a decent band. I have a slim wrist, but there is a little adjustment in the clasp to make it a bit bigger. If you have a large wrist, though, you may need another band. Strapcode makes great bands.

2. I also have a rubber dive band I never put on it which may work for larger wrists.

3. I don't remember the glass, hands or bezel makers, but when I first had it calibrated, I had all that done for me, I've never had it apart, I'm not a DIY watch guy. The original crystal was flat, this one is domed. This bezel has a luminescent dot at the zero point. I thought the hands were just better looking than the original.

I mention this because now (unless you can calibrate watches yourself), if you have a large wrist, in addition to the $153 movement service, you might need another band, so add another $60-70. It will be a very nice watch, but now we're talking about $220 for a guy with a big wrist to get it into useable shape. Just an FYI. For you slim/medium wristed gents, just the movement service should make it great.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, we have a winner, and he has already confirmed he will have it serviced. And the winner is deafficianado!

Capture.JPG

capture2.JPG

Just a review, this is the Seiko Prospex Turtle, movement 4R36, cost to service is $153, and includes general cleaning, recalibration, and a new gasket. Changes I made were hands, crystal, bezel, and band. Have fun with it! Original photo stock is below.

turtle.jpg

And with my mods ...

watch1.jpg

It's boxed up, there is a chance I can have it posted today. But Monday at the latest.

PM sent.

Congrats that is a nice PIF. :thumbup1:

Someone with basics skills and few tools could pull that movement out and replace it with a pre-regulated readily available NH36A at half the cost of a full service!

Huge thanks to John who has kindly blessed me winning this beautiful watch. After some consideration, I decided to have a professional install a new movement instead of a calibration by Seiko. This decision came after @ridinshotgun 's suggestion. Also my dad had his Seiko calibrated through Seiko and it needed recalibration again within 2 years. He gave up on it after spending more on maintaining the watch then it's original cost. So far, I swapped out the strap with a black leather one. I'll update as I go along. Other than swapping out the movement and strap, I don't plan on any other modifications such as swapping out the hands. The aftermarket hands on it now are quite nice and it's an upgrade to the original. John has good taste. A genuine Seiko NH36 movement has been ordered and I'm waiting for it's arrival.

Attachments

• 20220204_020615.jpg
    20220204_020615.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
That’s a wonderful PIF. The new movement is a great idea as well. The NH36 is about $70. I had a local watchmaker swap a movement for me and he charged only $25 and I got the watch back in a couple of days. A bargain imo.

Top Bottom