What's new

Seiko 5 vs Invicta, blue

At those prices I would go with whichever you think looks best.

I like Seiko 5 over Invicta from a quality standpoint and it's an automatic, which I consider an advantage.

There will be plenty of other guys who prefer the precision of a quartz movement. And there are some crazy people :001_tt2: who like Invicta over Seiko. But looking at it strictly from a quality standpoint and not taking into consideration the styles of these two examples, I'd say Seiko 5 all day.

Be prepared to hear a whole bunch of blue Orient Mako in this thread. It's probably right up your alley if you're considering the Invicta and it's a better watch. The catch is that it'll run you $107.50 (with a 50% off code) on their website, so that might push it out of your price range. If you do have $110 bucks to spend it's well worth it.

It has a nicer blue face than the Seiko, and it's arguably a better looking and certainly more original looking Diver than the Invicta. It's also automatic and has a solid and reliable movement like the Seiko 5. Many of us here at B&B love them and it's for good reason.

If it has to be one of the (2) that are linked I say go Seiko for all the reasons stated above. A Seiko Auotmatic is just a more "senior" watch to me.

I also agree with Walter on the Orient Blue Mako if your OK spending about $100-110.

Another cool thing about the Orient brand is that you're not going to see it at department stores or kiosks in malls along side of the plethora of lower end Timex, Seikos, Pulsars, Citizens, Swiss Army, Invictas, and the unending variety of designer and "fashion" quartz watches. All of those manufacturers make good produces, I just like wearing something that's not as much of a commodity.

The Blue Mako also goes very gracefully from the swimming pool, to jeans, to business attire, especially if you change the bracelet to to a more casual strap for sportswear.

Got the Seiko for my son, and he "lost" it. I am not really sure what happened to it to be honest. I loved the look of that watch, and I would buy it again. The dial is very nice and the automatic is great.

Marty

I have the Seiko 5 and like the mechanical feel over a always-battery-replacing quartz. The display back on the Seiko looks cool too.

I've had that Seiko for a few years, and it's been a great watch. Very reliable movement, good lume, and the bracelet is comfortable and not a hair puller. Highly recommended.

I'll jump in here and second the motion for the Seiko. i have heard too many horror stories about Invicta watches, the first of which is that they charge $25.00 "processing" fee for warranty. That by itself seems a little sketchy to me. The Orient watches are great as well. I have the Blue Ray. Same case as the Mako, different indices, no arabic numerals, and it has a lumed second hand. They have changed all their coupon codes for 30% off though as far as I can tell. Even the "orientjapan50" only gives 30% off now. They started a promotion last May with the website "Dappered.com" and those codes still give the 50% I used "dapperedfebruary" and got the 50 off and am hoping in continues through april.

Seiko, without question.... unless you want to trump everything and go with an Orient Blue Ray. Aesthetically comparable to the Invicta you're looking at, but superior in every way.

I love my Seiko 5, and there are a ton of models to choose from. Great work watch ;-) Here's mine:

$Seiko sea urchin.jpg

Rushd, I have the same hankering. I like the Seiko, except for the lack of rotating bezel, and I prefer a slightly larger watch. But I like it, and I may get it.
I LOVE the look of the Orient Blue Makeo. I looks a lot like the Omega Seamaster, which is my dream watch.
I wouldn't get the Invicta, but that's because I already have the Pro Diver Black and want something new.

@rushd

I have two Invicta watches both I bought at Sams Club. My suggest would be go to your local sams club and take a look at the Invicta watches. I got a fantastic watch there for $50. If you'd like a photo of the watch I have let me know and I'll email OT to you.

Top Bottom