What's new

Seen on Amazon VdH page

He is using shaving butter. It's not a lathering product. By the way, which VDH products have you used?
Oh I see. Shows how much I know! Well I have used the Luxury Soap and the Glycerin kind. And their blades too which worked alright. I’ve got one of their boar brushes too that I use very occasionally.

For Christmas they had a kit in Dollar General; $10= small tto razor, shave butter and 10 blades made in china. Got one but haven't used it...

This thread illustrates a big reason why I don't pay too much attention to reviews. The end cap grip is one I've seen in Gillette instructional pamphlets. It is good for new shavers learning how much pressure is needed. The end cap won't come unscrewed if it is tightened the last 1/4 turn.

It looks like the top cap and safety bar are resting on the skin. Theoretically, that's the best position. I find it better to rest more of the top cap on the skin.

The video wasn't Van der Hagen's.

Unfortunately, in everyone's rush to ridicule a picture used as a small part of a product page, people have forgotten about the product. After 275 shaves, I think I'm qualified to have an opinion on the razor. There is no better razor on the market if the design works for the individual. I shave every day, so I don't know how it would work on long whiskers. I have used it after three or four days of not shaving and didn't notice any difficulty.

Many people are excited about the new Gillette Heritage razor. They have the hope Gillette will re-enter the safety razor market. They left. They don't get to come back easily. Van Der Hagen already has a huge assortment of razors. The entry-level razor is all brass and chrome plated. It's only $7.99. Mine shaves perfectly and still looks new after 275 shaves. Since this razor already gives a perfect, comfortable shave, there is no way a Wolfman could do any better.

Most people don't like the blades. So buy new ones.
I have no doubt the razor provides a quality shave. I think most of us are laughing at the irony of a company who sells DE razors using marketing campaigns that show guys using DE razors wrong. The very people they convince to try DE shaving will put poorly hydrated soap on dry skin, scrape the blade across their face, decide it’s a horrible way to shave, and go back to Gillette or DSC.

This product is aimed for those who don't wetshave. Wouldn't make a difference If you had a guy that shaved perfectly or someone who didn't know what the hell he was doing.

I’ve been using a Van Der Hagen TTO as my primary razor for years with no issues. It’s not as if a DE razor is a complicated piece of machinery. I honestly think the razor itself is the least important part of the shave.

Last year they had a QVC commercial where the guy demonstrating, didn't know how to shave.

Scary. That technique is completely wrong. Too much swiping and overshaving going on. I doubt he loaded a blade into the razor, or his face would be a bloody mess.

I also think there's alot of overselling of their product going on. They're clearly trying to jump on a fad and sell pretty razors to unsuspecting buyers.

I disagree, for instance, with the notion that a DE is a significantly better choice than the disposable razor for the environment. Both are medical waste and most recyclers won't take them. A pharmacy should take them off your hands, however, if they are in a sharps container.

Their scented luxury soap is currently rated number one on Amazon. It's usually up in the top 10. The unscented luxury soap is also ranked highly.

VDH does seem to be popular, which I find fascinating as I've never gotten great shaves with it.

I'd like to see VDH make a lathering shave cream, they could probably do a much better job and the product would work better. And their company has good taste aesthetically, even if their products aren't always good performers.

I’ve been using a Van Der Hagen TTO as my primary razor for years with no issues. It’s not as if a DE razor is a complicated piece of machinery. I honestly think the razor itself is the least important part of the shave.

The Weishi is an outstanding value and it's not just used by novices.

the short handle is the one that hooked me on this whole business in sept.

I quickly moved on in search of comfort.

might have to load another brand of blade in it and revisit at a later date.

in retrospect I'm glad I moved on......but at least the vdh showed me the light compared to plastic stuff.

never again

camo

I disagree, for instance, with the notion that a DE is a significantly better choice than the disposable razor for the environment. Both are medical waste and most recyclers won't take them. A pharmacy should take them off your hands, however, if they are in a sharps container.

The idea is that it doesn't use plastics. It's just a metal blade. Not sure how much recyclable metal is in them. Sure, they're all metal, but they're all thin metal. It might be a situation like melting down aluminum cans, where you get a high percentage of slag.

VDH does seem to be popular, which I find fascinating as I've never gotten great shaves with it.

Let me put it this way: I've gotten shaves comparable to Colgate soap with VDH soaps. I've gotten worse shaves with Ivory soap and Williams. I've never been able to bring myself to try the expensive stuff. Am tempted to try Arko.

they should be shot for calling vander hagen soap..... a soap.... and especially as "one of Americas/worlds number one top tier luxury shaving soaps"

I think shaving ones "man parts" with a rusted out derby blade and a merkur set on 5 would be more enjoyable then what that guy did.

The VDH TTO is very likely a Weishi, but there are some differences. The center spine is notched like Gillette TTOs from around 1950 onward. It might be just mine, but the shave felt more aggressive than another Weishi I had. It's all right, but for DE, I've started preferring open combs.

they should be shot for calling vander hagen soap..... a soap.... and especially as "one of Americas/worlds number one top tier luxury shaving soaps"

I think shaving ones "man parts" with a rusted out derby blade and a merkur set on 5 would be more enjoyable then what that guy did.

Van der Hagen didn't even make the video. QVC did.
Their shaving soap is generally ranked number 1 or 2 on Amazon. Probably other places, too. Deal with it. Van der Hagen has been making soap in the United States since 1900 and for generations before in Holland.

I think the VDH Luxury soaps are just about as good as most other soaps. And believe me I've tried many high quality soaps. In fact I use VDH Luxury as my benchmark to judge all others by.

Let me put it this way: I've gotten shaves comparable to Colgate soap with VDH soaps. I've gotten worse shaves with Ivory soap and Williams. I've never been able to bring myself to try the expensive stuff. Am tempted to try Arko.

Van der Hagen didn't even make the video. QVC did.
Their shaving soap is generally ranked number 1 or 2 on Amazon. Probably other places, too. Deal with it. Van der Hagen has been making soap in the United States since 1900 and for generations before in Holland.

Soaps seem to be very polarizing, whereas most people seem less polarized by shaving creams. I think because soaps are more effected by water quality and brush.

I think the VDH Luxury soaps are just about as good as most other soaps. And believe me I've tried many high quality soaps. In fact I use VDH Luxury as my benchmark to judge all others by.

Which "high quality soaps" have you used?

Compared to the best soaps I have used, VDH is only 7/10 on slickness, 6/10 on Cushion, and 6/10 on post shave conditioning. I have quite a few soaps that rank as 10/10 on each of these criteria. I do not consider a soap to be "high quality" unless it ranks at least 9/10 on each of these criteria.

Compared to the best soaps I have used, VDH is only 7/10 on slickness, 6/10 on Cushion, and 6/10 on post shave conditioning. I have quite a few soaps that rank as 10/10 on each of these criteria. I do not consider a soap to be "high quality" unless it ranks at least 9/10 on each of these criteria.

You are judging these soaps only based on your opinion? I have tried too many soaps to list here but just to name a few I have tried MWF (which is top tier), Dr. Harris, Pereira's, Cella, Tabac, and Mystic Water (also top tier).
I find some to be only slightly better in performance than VDH.

I'm not a fan of soaps- they just aren't all that luxurious and they are alot of work, but VDH represents a decent value as far as soaps go, and I would rate it better than some English shaving soaps I have tried, which left my skin quite dry and irritated.

Top Bottom