What's new

Seems like horse hair brushes is making a comeback.

Check out Gifts & Care. They've listed a ton of horse hair brushes. Even Semogue is getting into the horse hair segment.

Other brands are Epsilon and Vie-Long.

So what is horse hair like?

According to Vie-Long's brief description. White hair is supposed to be soft and brown is supposed to provide backbone. And each brush has varying proportions of mane and tail hair.

Every single time I use my Zenith I enjoy it and am impressed. It's an "extra soft" one that has some unknown proportion of mane and tail, purportedly set with a lower-than usual loft to give it a wee bit more backbone. When loading it seems like maybe it should have more backbone yet it picks up plenty of soap and I'm always surprised at how much lather I am able to make, and how easily.

full

I tried a Vie-Long horse brush years ago and it was prickly, with such a long loft that it felt unusable by anyone who wanted to remain sane.

I wouldn't mind picking up a horse brush, but I just need to do research and find the softest one out there.

(Sent from mobile)

Horse, schmorse. I only use the hair from blond strippers who are between 5'5" and 5'9" and who are between the ages of 25 and 27 and who dance at Sapphire in NYC. Who needs boar, badger, horse or synthetic when you can have your own private lap dance when you shave every morning.

Take this beauty for instance. This brush comes from the Charming Brandi who hails from Ft. Lauderdale, FL. She likes long walks in the park, quiet evenings at home and dreams of world peace.

image.png

image.png

Horse, schmorse. I only use the hair from blond strippers who are between 5'5" and 5'9" and who are between the ages of 25 and 27 and who dance at Sapphire in NYC. Who needs boar, badger, horse or synthetic when you can have your own private lap dance when you shave every morning.

Take this beauty for instance. This brush comes from the Charming Brandi who hails from Ft. Lauderdale, FL. She likes long walks in the park, quiet evenings at home and dreams of world peace.

View attachment 1155449

View attachment 1155450
Horse brush topics do bring the best fantasy sometimes...

View attachment 1155449

View attachment 1155450
This looks more like Katie Morgan than Charming Brandi. Blonde hair, notwithstanding, Castor Canadensis provides a different experience from a honey badger.

Tom

This looks more like Katie Morgan than Charming Brandi. Blonde hair, notwithstanding, Castor Canadensis provides a different experience from a honey badger.

Tom

Different name, same person. Does it really matter? And you definitely hit the nail on the head. A VERY different experience from a honey badger.

So what is horse hair like?
That depends a lot on the brush. You should try a good, inexpensive horsehair brush for yourself. I'd suggest a white 50/50 brush with a short loft. For example, this 50/50 white horsehair fan is a very good face lathering brush:
epsilon-horse-hair-shaving-brush-fan-shape-12705b.jpg

View attachment 1155449

View attachment 1155450

Post of the day!! :a29: :a29:

It's unbleached white horsehair 50% mane + 50% tail hair. That gives it some backbone without being too scritchy. Just used this one today.

Ah. Sounds like scritch is par for the course with horse. I'm not a big fan of scritch, so I don't think I'd like it. The boars and badgers I like best are the ones with backbone but no scritch due to very soft tips. Those would be my Envy Shave Luxury Silvertip badger and Connaught Omega boar with faux jade handle. Those are my two favorite brushes of the 16 or 17 that I have. I'll pass on the horse.

Ah. Sounds like scritch is par for the course with horse. I'm not a big fan of scritch, so I don't think I'd like it. The boars and badgers I like best are the ones with backbone but no scritch due to very soft tips. Those would be my Envy Shave Luxury Silvertip badger and Connaught Omega boar with faux jade handle. Those are my two favorite brushes of the 16 or 17 that I have. I'll pass on the horse.
I'm in the same boat as you. I don't like any scritch. If someone wants to recommend a horse that doesn't have any, then I'm listening!

(Sent from mobile)

I’m at around 6 weeks with my Zenith extra soft. I don’t believe the horse hair brushes change much or enough to really take notice of. Visibly some of the hairs might, but it doesn’t change the feel or performance. I remain quite happy with my Lone horse hair, and would totally recommend it with genuine enthusiasm.

I’ve experienced almost no stink from this brush when new, and this shows no signs or hints that it wants to begin tangling no matter what abuse I put it through. I do not know how the characteristics of the zenith knots differ from other horse knots, but they seem to be easy to like and require no extra maintenance.

DC74278B-F302-4381-A238-824563F93A13.jpeg

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't like any scritch. If someone wants to recommend a horse that doesn't have any, then I'm listening!
Scritch is not necessarily uncomfortable or unpleasant, you know. There are such things as good scritch and bad scritch. With good scritch, you are just more aware of individual hairs than, say, a swab of indistinct strands. Its not like the brush is leaving welts!
:laugh:

I also think horsehair brushes are not all the same in this characteristic. Zenith makes some horsehair brushes they label l"extra soft". Also, for Vie-Long, the white horsehair seems softer and the 50/50 seems softer than the 65/35 mix.

Another question for the horse hair experts: do horse bristles change over time? Like get softer?
They do seem to break in a bit over time, but not like a boar brush does. I don't think horse hair splits like boar bristles.

Top Bottom