What's new

Seeking understanding regarding slants

Agreed! PAA's monsters are excellent values, as is the FOCS.

I did pick up the Ecliptic recently. Fairly mild if you rigidly follow the head-to-face instruction, but will certainly bite if you don't. I like the design, but the shave is "ok". I'll probably sell.

My two favorites are the FOCS or the Konsul. If I wanted a premium razor, and only wanted one slant, it would be the Konsul. It brings all the best of slant design, and variable blade-feel.

The Wunderbar is another one whose style I just love. But. I really have to give the nod to the FOCS. It is less bitey, at least as efficient and costs 25% of the Wunderbar.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I did pick up the Ecliptic recently. Fairly mild if you rigidly follow the head-to-face instruction, but will certainly bite if you don't. I like the design, but the shave is "ok". I'll probably sell.

The Alpha Ecliptic in bakelite was my first slant. I've never really liked light razors but wanted to try the idea. I had some struggles, in part because the top cap seemed too flexy and didn't clamp very well.

You know the definition of insanity; "trying the same thing, hoping it'll be different this time?" That'd be me. I have owned no fewer than three of those bloody things and have piffed them all off. I'd build some technique and bought another one thinking, "Maybe it's just me." Then I'd wait a while and do it again. Sigh. Some people like them but I just can't get along with it.

What's scary is that occasionally I think, "Maybe if I try the aluminum version..." but I usually put a cork in it pretty quickly.

My two favorites are the FOCS or the Konsul. If I wanted a premium razor, and only wanted one slant, it would be the Konsul. It brings all the best of slant design, and variable blade-feel.

From the pictures I saw the prototype of the Homelike adjustable slant looked a bit more helical than the Konsul. Of course that's a prototype. Helical slants are more difficult to machine than plain DE, so at some point the cost/benefit analysis may push them toward being less helical.

Also remember the unsaid in this conversation -- RazoRock is working on a new slant line but so far I've seen nothing firm, only teaser pictures and updates about supply-chain issues. That's not a criticism; merely an observation. I'm glad for the updates. Keeps me from living in a state of frustrated anticipation. :)

O.H.

I have a merkur 37c and Ikon B1 slant. I typically use a feather blade on my regular razors, but with these two I use an Astra platinum. I definitely would say that the slants are more efficient. That's why I pair then with a blade that is less sharp than a feather

The torqued slants (e.g. Ikon X3) also twist the blade when tightened. The torque makes the edge stiffer and less prone to bending leading to a more efficient cut.

Or so they say.
I've noticed on my ikon b1 that this torque also causes the blade to look misaligned. Does anyone what have this issue?

The Alpha Ecliptic in bakelite was my first slant. I've never really liked light razors but wanted to try the idea. I had some struggles, in part because the top cap seemed too flexy and didn't clamp very well.

You know the definition of insanity; "trying the same thing, hoping it'll be different this time?" That'd be me. I have owned no fewer than three of those bloody things and have piffed them all off. I'd build some technique and bought another one thinking, "Maybe it's just me." Then I'd wait a while and do it again. Sigh. Some people like them but I just can't get along with it.

What's scary is that occasionally I think, "Maybe if I try the aluminum version..." but I usually put a cork in it pretty quickly.

From the pictures I saw the prototype of the Homelike adjustable slant looked a bit more helical than the Konsul. Of course that's a prototype. Helical slants are more difficult to machine than plain DE, so at some point the cost/benefit analysis may push them toward being less helical.

Also remember the unsaid in this conversation -- RazoRock is working on a new slant line but so far I've seen nothing firm, only teaser pictures and updates about supply-chain issues. That's not a criticism; merely an observation. I'm glad for the updates. Keeps me from living in a state of frustrated anticipation. :)

O.H.
If you'd like to try the aluminum Ecliptic, shoot me a pm & I'll loan it out. It isn't bad, I just have others that I like more.🙂

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got the inexpensive PAA Filament OC slant last night and today, the ATT X1 AC slant was delivered. I shaved with it a couple hours ago now. It is lovely.... As I've posted many times, the ESC Claymore Evolution was my only razor for 5+ months. It is the only AC razor I've tried. The ATT X1 slant performs in a similar manner. It has more blade feel... but it was very smooth. Brian Mulreany calls the Claymore Evo "mild yet efficient"..... I would say, as Matt from ATT says.. the X1 is smooth but efficient. The very first shave? Wonderful. I need a few more shaves to develop the right technique to get the most out of it, but it is very intuitive. I just felt my face to make sure... no misses... no irritation... as smooth a shave as I've ever achieved. That isn't to say it's better than anything I own at this point... but I think it's going to end up at least tied with my favorites.

Oh, and I used the Timeless Ti Crown handle on it... the OEM handle is very nice but I've been using the Crown on my Claymore Evo for months so I wanted the comparison to accurate. I also used my favorite AC blade: the Kai Captain Protouch MG guarded blade.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've noticed on my ikon b1 that this torque also causes the blade to look misaligned. Does anyone what have this issue?

It's not uncommon. Some slants are more that way than others, and it doesn't seem to match up with which ones are more helical.

I can make it real simple, though: Line the edges up with the bar/comb, NOT the cap.

Good shaves, every time.

O.H.

“Tilted” slant razors make sense to me. The addition of the lateral slicing motion would increase the efficiency of the razor. I imagine it would also allow longer use of old razor blades and be more economical, which would have been an issue during the golden-age of DE shaving.

“Torqued” slants confuse me though. I understand the torquing would increase rigidity and reduce blade chatter, but surely the twist would mean that the blade is meeting your skin at a constantly varying angle along the blade. Thus only one small area (depending on the severity of the twist) would be at the optimal angle, and the rest would be scraping or sliding over your skin. Imagine a similar concept on a straight razor (which would also increase the rigidity of the blade) and it doesn’t make any sense.

Perhaps the “torqued” slant razor was an innovation to improve blade chatter in razors (or blades) with poorer manufacturing tolerances, with the acceptance that it would limit the ultimate quality of the shave.

Just my random musings on the matter, based on my brief dalliance with slant razors.

“Tilted” slant razors make sense to me. The addition of the lateral slicing motion would increase the efficiency of the razor. I imagine it would also allow longer use of old razor blades and be more economical, which would have been an issue during the golden-age of DE shaving.

“Torqued” slants confuse me though. I understand the torquing would increase rigidity and reduce blade chatter, but surely the twist would mean that the blade is meeting your skin at a constantly varying angle along the blade. Thus only one small area (depending on the severity of the twist) would be at the optimal angle, and the rest would be scraping or sliding over your skin. Imagine a similar concept on a straight razor (which would also increase the rigidity of the blade) and it doesn’t make any sense.

Perhaps the “torqued” slant razor was an innovation to improve blade chatter in razors (or blades) with poorer manufacturing tolerances, with the acceptance that it would limit the ultimate quality of the shave.

Just my random musings on the matter, based on my brief dalliance with slant razors.
The helix angle is quite small with most slants. Since the razor head is also twisted, the main effect is usually variable blade exposure, rather than angle.

No moreso than turning with skis on- the whole ski surface is engaged with snow, but the leading edge "breaks trail".

What I always noticed is that half the blade would shave closer than the other half. Which makes sense since one half has a wider gap. It's weird!
I have a goatee and when the half with least gap would be the side shaving the edge of my goatee, it would always leave more hair. I experienced this with all of the slants. I had to try them and I did but for me it wasn't worth it and I didn't see any advantage whatsoever. I'll stick to my closed comb razors!

The helix angle is quite small with most slants. Since the razor head is also twisted, the main effect is usually variable blade exposure, rather than angle.

Both of these comments raise some concerns for me.
Maybe I should just stick with the familiar Gillette Slide technique.

What's the fun in doing what works when doing something different for no little perceptible benefit and some risk is what we are all here for! 🤪

What sort of concerns? It makes me feel bad if I discouraged you. People have been shaving with slants such as the Merkur 37 for decades now. They work fine and it doesn't cost a lot to try one.
Hey Guys

I actually have the Parker semi-slant and a Fatip slant. I used the Fatip last month and had a good shave. I haven't used the Parker in over a year.

The primary concern was @LRod 's comment:
"What I always noticed is that half the blade would shave closer than the other half. Which makes sense since one half has a wider gap. It's weird!
I have a goatee and when the half with least gap would be the side shaving the edge of my goatee, it would always leave more hair. I experienced this with all of the slants."

@NorthernSoul, Don't feel bad! I was concerned or didn't understand your statement
"Since the razor head is also twisted, the main effect is usually variable blade exposure." The 'variable blade exposure' part didn't sound like a good thing...probably my lack of understanding.

Now you guys have me curious to get the slants out and give them a drive!

Both of these comments raise some concerns for me.
Maybe I should just stick with the familiar Gillette Slide technique.
My experience was based on using the Fatip OC slant. Since then I've acquired a Merkur 37C and a Hoffritz slant. Neither has that issue! They are both fantastic!
I guess it was just a Fatip thing!
I see you have a Fatip so it obviously works for you.
Take my comment as a "me" experience and nothing that might affect your results.
No reason to get discouraged!

What's the fun in doing what works when doing something different for no little perceptible benefit and some risk is what we are all here for! 🤪
Aaron, Your Right! I purposely try to learn and be creative every day.
This thread (and B&B in general) has motivated me to delve into the minute details of our wonderful hobby.
I've got the Fatip slant out for drive this evening.

Aaron, Your Right! I purposely try to learn and be creative every day.
This thread (and B&B in general) has motivated me to delve into the minute details of our wonderful hobby.
I've got the Fatip slant out for drive this evening.
The one discovery I have made with it that I haven't written previously is that the slightly narrower blades like BIC completely changed the feel for me. I also think somebody was onto something with using a sharper blade with these razors, it seems that any tugging produces more trouble than ordinary razors.

I am not sure what I have written above in this thread, but I have been playing with slants for some time. Giving up and then going back to them. When I had a goatee, I learned to shape it going E-W or W-E while pulling the skin toward my ear. I stopped trying to go up and down as the two sides engage different sides of the razor and produce different results. This is how I do shaping with a straight razor also, it's just easier to see where the blade is and control it.

Sorry for the slightly flippant post, it wasn't very helpful and just an opportunity to make a cheap joke. I am not completely convinced that slants are better than using a Gillette slide, but I use more of a scything motion now-a-days. The one area where the do have an advantage is thick growth when a slide can't be kept sliding. This can rapidly transition into slicing instead as the downward component is halted and the sideways part is still in motion.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Or…….. you could try the ATT X1 AC Slant. I’m about to use mine the second time in just a few minutes.

The first shave was brilliant. I don’t think it was a fluke. This razor is a keeper. I know it’s not cheap but it sure shaves nice.

Top Bottom