What's new

Seeking understanding regarding slants

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am considering a slant, but there is a nagging question. I get it that the blade is held to make the edge stay at a slight angle and that drawing this angled blade across your whiskers enhances the slicing effect. How does it differ from simply holding a non-slant at such an angle? Given that very few strokes are going to be perfectly perpendicular to the line of the blade, I cannot figure out why it would be materially different, other than looking cool. Please set me straight.

Plus, it's easier to maintain that slant if it is built into the razor.
20220706_084802.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The way that a slant cuts is more like a Gillette slide than just holding the blade at an angle. Technically it would be safer because you aren't making any sideways, potentially slicing, movement while also moving down(or up). It's been described as a scything cut sometimes.
This makes the most sense to me. I invariably use the Gillette slide during a shave. It is a terrific stroke.

I am considering a slant, but there is a nagging question. I get it that the blade is held to make the edge stay at a slight angle and that drawing this angled blade across your whiskers enhances the slicing effect. How does it differ from simply holding a non-slant at such an angle? Given that very few strokes are going to be perfectly perpendicular to the line of the blade, I cannot figure out why it would be materially different, other than looking cool. Please set me straight.
You aren't wrong with your understanding!
I delved into slants recently. First the Yaqi aggressive (horribly aggressive and I like aggressive razors).
Then I bought the open comb Fatip slant and also the closed comb Fatip slant. The only one I've kept is the closed comb Fatip just because it shaves more like a non-slant!
What I always noticed is that half the blade would shave closer than the other half. Which makes sense since one half has a wider gap. It's weird!
I have a goatee and when the half with least gap would be the side shaving the edge of my goatee, it would always leave more hair. I experienced this with all of the slants. I had to try them and I did but for me it wasn't worth it and I didn't see any advantage whatsoever. I'll stick to my closed comb razors!
But of course, YMMV!

I've only got 2: A DLC-YAQI Slant, and Parker Semi-Slant. The Yaqi is OK, but I'll need to shave with it more to get a final opinion.
The Parker Semi-Slant is worth having. i got mine when they were first introduced. Normally I prefer lighter weight vintage razors, but the heavier Parker shaves nice & smooth & close.

I've tried a few slants and did not find them to be any more effective. If they enhanced the slicing motion, you'd expect them to make a less sharp blade shave more comfortably. Or to make a sharp blade work even better. I found just the opposite. Blades I thought were sharp in a conventional DE tugged in a slant. That's just me though. Some guys really like them. Only way to know is to try for yourself.

A slant razor is not a gimmick. It is one of the better DE razor innovations. They do give a superior shave, all other factors being equal. It's surprising slant razors are not more popular.
Not a gimmick but it's subjective. Some things work for some and don't for others. I've tried 3 of them and they weren't anything special. My SB razors work better.
It's a YMMV thing as always!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
There are technically three types of slants. Well...four if you count that rusty coffee can full of Gillettes down at the antique mall that all look like they got dropped on the floor, but they didn't start out slanted. :)

Tilted slants like the PAA Alpha Ecliptic and the iKon Shavecraft 102 simply "put the head on at an angle." Aside from the slantiness they are just like a plain DE razor in how they clamp the blade.

Single Edge slants such as the ATT X1 are a subvariant of tilted slants, simply because it's impossible to torque an AC blade. Again, otherwise just like a non-slanted single edge.

Helical slants are where I think the magic really happens. They can be quite mild, such as the Parker or they can be more aggressive but they all share that extra longitudinal twist they give to a blade.

The extra twist adds tension to the blade, making the edge less likely to chatter. There are several variables in motion, but that's it in a nutshell. I've got a couple of severely helical slants that can still chatter because of those other variables. A well clamped plain DE with minimal reveal can outshave a slant with less robust clamping, as witness among others the RazoRock BBS (a very fine razor in its own right).

The other thing to account for is the relative stiffness of modern stainless blades compared to vintage carbon blades. Stainless blades are stiffer for comparable thickness, which means a slant razor with a stainless blade is going to have a less noticeable effect compared to a plain DE. Blades are getting thinner, though, so stiffness is reduced and thus a helical slant razor is going to have a more noticeable effect.

There are many variables -- more than we can account for or even in most cases even identify. My personal experience is that I get the best shaves of all from slants. I can get decent shaves from other razors, but a highly helical slant razor just does the trick.

I usually recommend starting with the Merkur 37 (if you like short handles) or the Parker SemiSlant (if you like longer handles) or the RazoRock German 37 which allows for handle choice. All three are good slants. Not in my mind the best slants, but that's a personal evaluation. I have had all of them.

O.H.

Didn’t work here. My FOCS is harsher than all of my razors. It’s currently stored away waiting to be revisited.

I wasn’t able to find that smoothness and clean cut slants are supposed to deliver.

That’s life. Awesome for some, not great for others.

I’ll stick to my progress, EJ89, Rockwell 6C and Fatip gentile for now.

The general how & whys have been answered. The which...

Economically, the PAA synthetic slants you really can't beat at $20 to try the concept. Even if you don't find yourself liking the razor, their brushes are good, as are several of their soaps, so if you order a package you aren't risking much.

Good efficiency and comparatively mild: the classic Pomco/Coles/Merkur 37 style

I found the iKon 102 servicieble, but I was buffing like I was using an orbital sander. I never tried the PAA Ecleptic, having heard that it was similar in feel.

My favorites:

Wunderbar. If you like some blade-feel and high efficiency, yes, it is worth the money.

Fine Aluminum Slant. I generally don't like aluminum razors, but the Fine design is just so fine!:biggrin: If they made it in stainless, I'd be in heaven! A step down in toothiness, compared to the Wunderbar.

iKon B1 Slant. A slightly different design than Fine, but a very comparable shave. Thinner head, and more weight than Fine, which I would generally prefer, but the Fine has a bit more blade twist that gives it an ever so slight edge, IME.

Fine Aluminum Slant. I generally don't like aluminum razors, but the Fine design is just so fine!:biggrin: If they made it in stainless, I'd be in heaven! A step down in toothiness, compared to the Wunderbar.
This was my SOTD about ten months ago:
SOTD-FSGT-G_2021-09-30.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: [The now discontinued] Fine Aluminum Slant GT
Blade: Personna Red (3)
ASL: Orange Freeze [home brew]

A fine shave. :biggrin:
The Fine Aluminum Slant is definitely a fine razor; I'm sure glad that I have one. :yesnod:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

It's a pity Mr. Fine doesn't do razors (of any sort) any more. :crying:

I agree. I just purchased that awesome razor myself and used it for the first time on four days growth. I have and use the 34C as well but I say the 37C has a definite edge in terms of efficiency. There are skeptics but I believe their really is something to the slant design.
When I got serious about shaving as a hobby in 2010, the first two razors I bought at a cutlery store were the Merkur 34c and the Merkur 37c. Love 'em both. Rating the comparison of increasing aggressiveness with a 3-pass shave on a scale of 10, with 5 being average, I rate the 34c as a "4" and the slanted 37c as a "7."

However, a fourth pass with the 34c makes the final result comparable to the 37c. For the fourth pass, I do N-S, the same as the initial pass.

I've had good results with the Merkur razors. The 34c is perfect for me in so many ways. Perfect handle length, perfect handle diameter, perfect weight, user-friendly two-piece design, and I like the increased security from the "knob" at the end of the handle when shaving S-N. Perfection personified: the Merkur 34c

There are technically three types of slants. Well...four if you count that rusty coffee can full of Gillettes down at the antique mall that all look like they got dropped on the floor, but they didn't start out slanted. :)

Tilted slants like the PAA Alpha Ecliptic and the iKon Shavecraft 102 simply "put the head on at an angle." Aside from the slantiness they are just like a plain DE razor in how they clamp the blade.

Single Edge slants such as the ATT X1 are a subvariant of tilted slants, simply because it's impossible to torque an AC blade. Again, otherwise just like a non-slanted single edge.

Helical slants are where I think the magic really happens. They can be quite mild, such as the Parker or they can be more aggressive but they all share that extra longitudinal twist they give to a blade.

The extra twist adds tension to the blade, making the edge less likely to chatter. There are several variables in motion, but that's it in a nutshell. I've got a couple of severely helical slants that can still chatter because of those other variables. A well clamped plain DE with minimal reveal can outshave a slant with less robust clamping, as witness among others the RazoRock BBS (a very fine razor in its own right).

The other thing to account for is the relative stiffness of modern stainless blades compared to vintage carbon blades. Stainless blades are stiffer for comparable thickness, which means a slant razor with a stainless blade is going to have a less noticeable effect compared to a plain DE. Blades are getting thinner, though, so stiffness is reduced and thus a helical slant razor is going to have a more noticeable effect.

There are many variables -- more than we can account for or even in most cases even identify. My personal experience is that I get the best shaves of all from slants. I can get decent shaves from other razors, but a highly helical slant razor just does the trick.

I usually recommend starting with the Merkur 37 (if you like short handles) or the Parker SemiSlant (if you like longer handles) or the RazoRock German 37 which allows for handle choice. All three are good slants. Not in my mind the best slants, but that's a personal evaluation. I have had all of them.

O.H.
As I was reading the thread I was thinking to myself, “I hope @Old Hippie chimes in”. One of the best explanations that I know I’ve read before likely in the Tilted Picnic.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have 3 slants that use the torqued blade type, Razorock 37 slant German + Razorock Wunderbar & recently the Yaqi slant. The German 37 slant is the milder of the 3 and I got my first true BBS with that razor, tame mid range and a good starter if you are interested in slants IMO or the Merkur 37c would be a nice razor from reviews I have read and they have sold a lot of those over the decades. I would suggest a RR German 37 slant or Merkur 37C to start out with out breaking the bank. Slants are very efficient and and less passes are needed or you could over shave certain areas of the beard. The RR Wunderbar slant and Yaqi slant a person can have great success with riding the bar(Steep approach) with a short handle for less leverage and weight.
Good luck in your selection of a slant.

O.H.
Hey hi...so what is your favorite / go to slant? Cheers BFX

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
what is your favorite / go to slant?

A good question, and I can't pick just one. That doesn't mean I like all the slants I've tried! Some of them left me feeling like the experience should have been better. Technique, of course, is also important and the longer we shave the more we develop various techniques. Some favourites in no particular order:

ATT S2: Not my first slant but the one that gave me my first really good slant shave, thus starting all this folderol. :)

RR Wunderbar: It's big, it's heavy, it's aggressive. Mostly fits in my technique but occasionally I get bit.

ATT X1: It's my only AC razor now because I like it that much. Using it for a week or two for ACtober then I'll pivot to OCtober and maybe even OctoBOAR.

iKon Shavecraft 102: My best tilted slant.

FOCS: Not every good razor is expensive; not every expensive razor is good. The FOCS is good.

Merkur "Super Slant": Of two vintage highly helical razors, I like this one better than the Fasan Double Slant. Whether it's less worn or newer or just that little difference in construction the "Super Slant" delivers. I wish I could find the darn time machine and go back and pick up several examples of the complete lineup of them.

PAA "Monster" slants: At the moment this looks to me like the best choice for someone who wants to try really helical slants. Modeled on the Fasan (which everybody says but only a few actually do).

Rex Supply Konsul: Picked it up because it was a slant. Came to love the adjustability of it. Right up there with the first three on this list for giving stellar shaves.

There are a few more in the cabinet. I'd have to say that at this point I've pretty much weeded out the ones that don't amaze me in some fashion. What I've got left is still a pretty good lineup of razors in anyone's den: RR SSSSV4, Merkur 37, RR German 37, etc.

It may mean something that the Above the Tie S2 was one of my earliest acquisitions and still commands a high place on my list.

Another thing to point out here is that the least expensive razor was about $20; the most expensive about $350. I like them both, in slightly different ways. But to pick up the $20 razor and get the pretty much the same good shaves as the other?

Priceless. :)

O.H.

Top Bottom