What's new

Seeking shaving CREAM volunteers!

Four shaves in with Captain’s Choice Bay Rum Cream. Three followed up with Cat O’ Nine Tails and one with St. John’s a/s - for comparison.

Surprisingly easy to whip into lather. Less time and effort than soap. A little bit of zing from the lather. Can leave it on a little and get some kind of clove oil like buzz. Sent is not boozy so; I shaved with it and then used Cat O’ Nine Tails then to formal business events. Slick and easy glide. Much better after shave performance than other creams. Essential oil seems trapped in emulsion - fresher essential oil than chemically locked into soap. Natural earthy smell that is not chemically laden with synthetic odors. No cinnamon - which can been burning and two much IMO. Maybe some nutmeg or allspice? Seems like a product that could be mixed with other CCC to create more custom scents. I like the container and when done I intent to save it and reuse it. Overall I am surprised that I would buy it - I liked it more than I expected. I like putting Cat O’ Nine Trails on after a warm shower; rather than cold skin. I also don’t get rum booziness from it.

What puzzled me: the foam top liner flopped out of the jar with some product stuck to it twice and created a mess. The texture of the cream reminds me of mayonnaise/aoli and it is sticky. I actually think the fresher essential oil and other oils is it’s greatest strength. Not sure if I should discard the foam top as unnecessary after shipping or keep it. If it were a different material and/or larger it might remain in the lid better. Scent wise I am not picking up much if any citrus and/or vanilla. Compared to Clubman VIBR - I do not pick up booziness. Rum to me has some sweetness/vanilla/carmel type notes. I suspected CC products did not wish to accentuate alcohol as Wheaton, Ill. has a relatively conservative college. So, I tired some CC Venture aftershave last night and felt some immediate booziness with it. Theory out the window.

A business appropriate Bay Rum - with a hit of bay/clove oil. Not scoopable; finger swipeable.
I removed all product from that shipping liner before tossing it.

The sing, it's most definitely from the essential oil or fragrance. I have experienced this with a few soaps I own, fortunately nothing with a reaction severe enough from me keeping in use. Pinnacle's Japanese Plum induces the strongest reaction for me, as far as I know it has something to do with Plum, as I have the same sensitivity with A&E Asian Plum.

proxy.php

When I use this, I literally have a timer in my head from the time I start the face lathering to the time I NEED to finish the pass - almost massochistic :001_wub:

I found where this cream shines for me! When I’m in a hurry but still want a great shave!

Time was limited so I took a quick shower grabbed my synthetic brush, and lathered up quick with the CC Venture. Quick 2-Pass DFS in record time for me! Great shave all the way around. Even used an old blade too!
35F9426D-7C54-4342-873D-33F59D4B6EA4.jpeg

Captains Choice Sandalwood Shave Cream with a Bolzano blade. The Lupo Razor & the Bolzano blade were a perfect match.
The CC shave cream gave me good protection.:thumbup1:
Full review on the Discovery Thread.

CC shave Cream along with the Lupo Razor & a Bolzano German made blade gave me an A-1 shave this A.M.:thumbup1:
It was like going down Mount Everest on a Bobsled.:w00t:
Full review on the Discovery Thread.

I continue to experience slick lather and as comfortable a shave as I have with Speick cream. I've been shaving 2-3 times with CC for every shave with Speick. As I'm getting the water ratio pretty good with CC now, I'm not noticing an appreciable difference in slickness or comfort or postshave irritation. Some days I get more weepers or irritation than others, but it doesn't seem to be better or worse depending on the cream, more just some days I'm more on my game with my technique than others.

The lather seemed to dissipate faster than expected though. First pass, by the time I finished my neck and jawlines, the lather on my cheeks and goatee seemed rather sparse. I almost went and brushed some more on but decided not to, and it was fine. I’ll keep an eye out for that happening again though.
I was starting to think maybe this was a thing, but I think I was making the lather just a little too thin. I noticed my Speick shave on Wednesday was slightly thicker, so I made sure to get to the same consistency with the Captain's today. And the lather was spot on, neither too thick nor too thin, and it was perfectly slick and no dissipation.

Went against the norm for me last night and did a face shave with Italia. I normally don't use heavily scented products on my face but decided to give it a go. Either I'm getting used to the scent of this SC or it's dissipating a bit from use, because it didn't seem as strong as when I initially got the tub. For me, that's a good thing. I used an unscented glycerin bar of soap I found at Publix for a pre-shave and lathered over it. I didn't feel much difference at all using the glycerin bar and had a pretty good shave with an Astra green blade on it's last leg. Post shave was acceptable. No aftershave or moisturizer was used and my face didn't feel dry or that "squeaky clean" feeling, either. Nothing spectacular but serviceable all the way around.

CC shave cream shave today with the Henson mild razor.
I got no nicks but did get some moderate neck irritation.
My fault for pressing down too hard during the shave.:w00t:
The Henson is a loaner & I am not used to how it shaves yet.
Full review is up on the Discovery thread.

Used tonight for a quick pre-evening out shave.

Used a finger-scoop aka snurdle to whip a quick bowl full. A bit overkill in volume I know, but this way I keep the method consistent and reduce the variability.

Using a damp brush from this morning, honestly was pretty minimal effort to build the lather; nicely dense and slick.

The menthol kick was the cherry on the cake. Love this in the afternoon; today finished with Capts Choice Lime Splash

Mühle R89
Wilkinson Sword (5)
Simpson’s Commodore x2 - Best

I'm in!
TOBS user that's starting to try other creams. I haven't tried any Captains but I'd be interested.
I'm picky with scents & performance so I'd probably be a good candidate 🤣
LRod

I’m in if we’re still open. Favorite was Bigelow but going to have to switch to the equivalent Proraso.

Last edited:
Comparison shave with Arko Cream Today.
The Arko cream was not quite as slick as the CC shave cream but not real bad IMO.
Post shave was by far the CC shave cream Winner.:thumbup1:
Arko left my face feeling very dry So I had to resort to a shave balm to relieve the dryness.:w00t:

Lately life has proven to get in the way of getting a relaxing shave in. So I’ve been shower shaving with a Gillette guard, and a can of foamy.

Well I had the bright idea to steal back some time so I put some CC Venture cream in a bowl and whipped up an awesome lather for a much more enjoyable shower shave! The CC shave cream is great stuff that whips up super fast, especially with a synthetic!

Have a great day y’all! 🤙

CC shave cream with the Henson Razor & an Eddison blade. Got a real close shave this A.M.
Post shave feel was very good.:thumbup1:
No nicks but got some mild neck irritation that disappeared after 20 minutes.

2 more shaves with CC, with one thrown in between with my Art of Shaving lavender this time for comparison. I'm trying hard to differentiate the CC with my other 2. Captain's lathers very easily with a small/medium size dollop, but then my other 2 lather easily too - though perhaps with just a little more cream; it's hard to tell though as the other 2 are squeezed from a tube rather than finger-scooped so the dollops are different shapes too.

I did notice the Captain's residual slickness was a bit less than AoS on Monday, I had to reapply a bit of lather a couple of times to go over a couple of rough spots again, while rubbing my wet fingers over areas on Monday was enough to conjure up a bit of slick residual cream. But then, this is the first time I noticed that, maybe my cream was just a bit thinner today.

Got a couple of weepers, but I blame my own lousy technique (mostly) and the blade (just a little - a NOS Israeli Personna Eddison), but not the cream. 4 shaves with the blade and never blood-free, but never more than a couple of small weepers regardless of cream.

Postshave is good, but I attribute that more to the aftershave balm. Again, I don't notice a significant difference depending on which cream I used.

For me, it comes down to scent. @CANES noted above that the Captain's scent has dissipated a bit. I was noticing that too, though the sandalwood scent is still very much there. I prefer a bolder scent to a subtle one for my cream, so I'm happy it hasn't dissipated too much. I prefer the Captain's sandalwood scent to either Speick or AoS.

Hopefully I'm not being completely useless, I'm really trying hard to find any quality differences. Or maybe it's a good thing that I'm not finding much to choose between Captain's and 2 other well-respected brands. 🤷🏻‍♂️🙂 I enjoy using it at any rate, and will keep going with this...

As I've been enjoying this shaving cream, I thought I'd take a look at what I'd consider the competition next time I'm shopping for a cream. I haven't decided if I want to be primarily a cream guy or a soap guy (or both), but I know I'll want to keep at least 1 cream on hand since it's easy to put in an empty sample container for travel.

I went to Maggard's site since they have a good selection and it's easy to filter for creams and sort by price. Looks like for me, it's pretty much between Proraso (red or green) and Captain's Choice (sandalwood, bay rum, Nor'easter, or eucalyptus). Taconic, Trumpers, and ToBS are in the same ballpark as CC pricewise, but I don't see a scent that I'm dying to try that's not covered by CC, and since I like the CC, I don't have any compelling reason to try one of those. So if I'm looking for sandalwood or eucalyptus, I may try Proraso for comparison next time; if I'm feeling like bay rum or Nor'easter, it'll be the Captain's.

Top Bottom