What's new

Seeking shaving CREAM volunteers!

Another nice 2 1/2 pass shave this A.M. resulting in a DFS.
Captains Choice cream did not disappoint me at all with very good protection. :thumbup1:
Post shave was nice as well.

SO I pulled back out my Wolfman 1.15 which I know to be to much for me at about a week in I can feel it
but decided to shave with it yesterday using the CC Cream and it was perfect the no feel of the splash on my face other than the cooling evaporation ! ahhhhh

today my Timeless 68 OC in Ti and only a few tiny tiny spots where I could feel the sting and do not want to call it sting more just that tingle you can tell was not the smoothest shave
for sure its that efficiency of th wolfman no extra passes ! and tomorrow shave will be with my Wolfman .95

hats off to ya Captain and again so glad I got in on this truly WOW stuff
my only thing I still wish it had a touch more residual BUT yesterday I got it a bit closer using a bit less water with the 1.15 had no issues so just going to learn it more and again for me the sleight bit less residual but superior post is a trade off I am happy to make

This may be setting a dangerous precedent for myself, but another quick touchup before heading out for Varsity VB Playoffs this evening...

Result was a Great Shave

2-passes using the Gillette Adjustable Mk II (aka Slim) on "5" and a Minora SS blade (4).
Used the Semogue 1470, 21mm boar for a little exfoliating action. Setup was fairly similar to yesterday's post, however the build was different without the palm bowl; at least, the palm bowl was used strictly for dipping the brush tips when needed.

Load was as simple as taking the wet brush and using the tips only to pickup what was necessary, estimate a little more than half of what I would scoop out.

Felt nice and slick, comfortable and cushiony (read - not thin, wet but not drippy).
Finishing off with the Nor'Easter splash was the cherry on the sundae.

EBE1E21A-E227-4232-BFC7-958D1BEA6DE0.jpeg

It’s been a hot minute since I checked in here, but I’ve mostly been trying to get the cream/water ratio right. If I start with my normal dollop of cream and keep adding water, I eventually get enough lather to shave every man on my cul-de-sac, and it’s still too thick. Well don’t overthink it, T-Bone. I didn’t need to start with a wetter brush, I needed to start with less product. And it worked! I could still stand to use slightly less (which is awesome, means the tub will last longer!), but I’m getting there.

Still really loving the scent. Slickness is still good - I can go over an area a second time without relathering if I still feel stubble, but not repeatedly.

The lather seemed to dissipate faster than expected though. First pass, by the time I finished my neck and jawlines, the lather on my cheeks and goatee seemed rather sparse. I almost went and brushed some more on but decided not to, and it was fine. I’ll keep an eye out for that happening again though.

Gonna give the CC a couple more shaves before going back to compare with Speick.

Captains Choice Sandalwood Cream delivered a smooth 2 & 1/2 pass shave this A.M. :thumbup1:
The Yaqi Mercury Razor combined with the cream soap gave me a DFS+ Review on the Discovery thread.
Two dollops of soap gave me the right amount of protective cream.
Post shave was very good.
Might do a comparative shave tomorrow with Derby cream.

Derby Cream Comparative shave.
One big dollop & I had enough lather for 6 passes.:w00t:
Over kill.. I know.
The Derby cream was protective & I even did a neck shave plus a two pass shave this A.M.
It was a DFS overall. :thumbup1:
The Derby cream left my skin dry so I applied shave balm.
Review is up on the Discovery thread.

Derby Cream Comparative shave.
One big dollop & I had enough lather for 6 passes.:w00t:
Over kill.. I know.
The Derby cream was protective & I even did a neck shave plus a two pass shave this A.M.
It was a DFS overall. :thumbup1:
The Derby cream left my skin dry so I applied shave balm.
Review is up on the Discovery thread.
Interesting, I find the same result when using Arko or Derby Soap - my skin is left dry post-shave requiring a balm.
I hadn't considered that the cream would do the same...

SWMBO and I will be wining and dining tonight - which will necessitate an evening shave with Nor'Easter cream :001_wub:

figured I would do one more post :)
again I thought I was done and SV was my #1 ! but this CC Cream has thrown a fun side trail on me to go down again ! both are insane good of course and that says a LOT IMHO

would say this is a must try for anyone curious IMHO at least and the old YMMV

one more comparison :)
decided to get some Baume.be and have done a few back and forth with various razors and the CC Cream just delivers a nicer more calm comfy post feel for me !

learning it a bit more as in how much water to use and what seems to be working is just a tiny bit to start and fill the brush up then I just dab a bit in the middle of the brush and kinda face lather the rest of the way and might try some face lather only

img_6296-jpeg.1544248

Four shaves in with Captain’s Choice Bay Rum Cream. Three followed up with Cat O’ Nine Tails and one with St. John’s a/s - for comparison.

Surprisingly easy to whip into lather. Less time and effort than soap. A little bit of zing from the lather. Can leave it on a little and get some kind of clove oil like buzz. Sent is not boozy so; I shaved with it and then used Cat O’ Nine Tails then to formal business events. Slick and easy glide. Much better after shave performance than other creams. Essential oil seems trapped in emulsion - fresher essential oil than chemically locked into soap. Natural earthy smell that is not chemically laden with synthetic odors. No cinnamon - which can been burning and two much IMO. Maybe some nutmeg or allspice? Seems like a product that could be mixed with other CCC to create more custom scents. I like the container and when done I intent to save it and reuse it. Overall I am surprised that I would buy it - I liked it more than I expected. I like putting Cat O’ Nine Trails on after a warm shower; rather than cold skin. I also don’t get rum booziness from it.

What puzzled me: the foam top liner flopped out of the jar with some product stuck to it twice and created a mess. The texture of the cream reminds me of mayonnaise/aoli and it is sticky. I actually think the fresher essential oil and other oils is it’s greatest strength. Not sure if I should discard the foam top as unnecessary after shipping or keep it. If it were a different material and/or larger it might remain in the lid better. Scent wise I am not picking up much if any citrus and/or vanilla. Compared to Clubman VIBR - I do not pick up booziness. Rum to me has some sweetness/vanilla/carmel type notes. I suspected CC products did not wish to accentuate alcohol as Wheaton, Ill. has a relatively conservative college. So, I tired some CC Venture aftershave last night and felt some immediate booziness with it. Theory out the window.

A business appropriate Bay Rum - with a hit of bay/clove oil. Not scoopable; finger swipeable.

Last edited:
Used the Italia today for a headshave with the Stirling Kong brush, a bowl lather and an old Star DE razor. I have to be in the right mood to use a DE on my head- and have the time to do it- so I normally cheat and use a Trac II or the occasional Fusion. Lathered just fine, stayed on without dissipating during the longer than normal shave, and the razor glided through everything with no trouble or skipping. Post shave wasn't fantastic and felt a little bit drier than normal. I'm assuming that's because I took longer than normal and the SC stayed in contact with my head longer. Overall, it was a decent/good shave.

I used the Italia cream yesterday and it was impressively comfortable and slick. The classic almond scent really hits the spot as well. Also the Bay Rum balm is very soothing the lingering post shave feel is better than my Pre De Provence 63 balm and my Stirlings that's saying something.

Curious what people think of the Nor' Eastern.
I happen to really like the scent and performance. Typically I reserve creams for the weekend for a bit of added luxe, however this weekend has been spent nursing my oldest with a fever and keeping the youngest from it as well.

The smell reminds me a bit of Drakkar Noir if I’m being honest.

Taking a quick touchup before heading out this evening; really though who doesn't like a menthol boost in the PM...
  • Captain's Choice Nor'Easter Cream
  • Simpson's Special S1 - Pure
  • Mühle R41 - Frankenrasierer
  • Personna MedPrep (3)
  • Kiehl’s Astringent
  • Captain's Choice Nor'Easter Splash
Brush Setup -
Marco's Method

View attachment 1541125

Finger Snurdle
View attachment 1541127

Palm Lather Bowl
View attachment 1541128

Build Lather - for me, I like to take it to what I would call 75%
Get it firm yet still wet, so I can build the density directly on the face.
View attachment 1541129

Shows that an 18mm brush and travel bowl is more than capable
View attachment 1541130

End result was a very smooth and comfortable shave; given I shaved multiple days off this morning already.
This is what works for me. I like to both face lather directly as well as start in the bowl and finish on the face.

My Frankenrasierer is a Mühle R41 base mated to an R89 cap to achieve more blade feel. This shave was 2-passes in the scope of 15m start to finish. This cream was very slick and carried residual slickness allowing me to attack the neck ATG both directions; 45* throat to ear on both sides during the second pass.

I can say performance wise, this is a very good cream that I will aim to keep onhand; Nor'Easter is a great scent.
I'll be looking to add Limes and Sandalwood in the near future (already have Land Ho! in Soap form).

This may be setting a dangerous precedent for myself, but another quick touchup before heading out for Varsity VB Playoffs this evening...

Result was a Great Shave

2-passes using the Gillette Adjustable Mk II (aka Slim) on "5" and a Minora SS blade (4).
Used the Semogue 1470, 21mm boar for a little exfoliating action. Setup was fairly similar to yesterday's post, however the build was different without the palm bowl; at least, the palm bowl was used strictly for dipping the brush tips when needed.

Load was as simple as taking the wet brush and using the tips only to pickup what was necessary, estimate a little more than half of what I would scoop out.

Felt nice and slick, comfortable and cushiony (read - not thin, wet but not drippy).
Finishing off with the Nor'Easter splash was the cherry on the sundae.

View attachment 1541717

Captains Choice Sandalwood Cream soap.
Got a nice two pass DFS this A.M. plus a small amount of touch up.
No nicks or irritation noted as the CC cream soap gave me plenty of protection.:thumbup1:
Full review is posted on the Discovery thread.
Post shave was very nice as well.

Captains Choice Sandalwood Cream shave this A.M.
CC Cream Soap had all the protection I needed for a comfortable shave.
No nicks or irritation noted.
Post shave feel was very good as well.
Full review on the Discovery thread.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom