What's new

Seeking recommendation

Seeing that I'm still going to be working from home for a while, I've decided now might be a good time to try a new scent. Looking at what I currently have, they are very much mall scents and I want to try something completely different. My current stash includes Polo Blue, Sauvage, Nautica Voyage, Tommy Hilfiger, and PdP 63. I've tried some on-line fragrance finders and it seems no matter what I put in, they come back with Bleu de Chanel, Versace Eros, Spicebomb, Paco Rabone 1 Million... everything that I'm sure are best sellers at Macy's.

My criteria are:
- Something more mature/classic--I'm still in my 40s, so I don't want to smell like an old man, but I would like something classic.
- Something that smells like a man. What I mean by this is last time I went through the mall smelling samples, everything felt the same--somewhat sweet, many could be considered unisex, and all are designed to not offend. These scents all have their place, but the only people I have to worry about offending right now are my wife, daughters, and myself.
- I'm interested in trying something earthy, woody, or oriental (spicy, not floral). I don't really like tobacco or smoky scents (although tobacco is present in PdP 63 but is quite mild, so that's OK).
- I'd like to stay under $50 since this will have to be a blind buy and will be outside my comfort zone, anyway.

Some I've been considering are Givenchy Gentleman, Guerlain Vetiver, Jaipur, Encre Noir, and Caron Pour un Homme (although I'm worried this may be too floral). My wife likes the combination of sandalwood and vanilla--I'm sure there are scents out there with those notes, as well. Polo Green is a no go (I tried it a couple of years ago and it smelled awful on my skin; my wife and I had to roll down the car windows on the way home). Fahrenheit is also a no-no because my wife's college boyfriend wore it and she doesn't like memories it brings back when she smells it.

My friend is a singer and asked that on his Facebook fan page and the top choice was Le mâle by Jean-Paul Gauthier
It's about 55$-60$ . Google also rates it well
Screenshot_20200709_091010.jpg

L'occitane Eau des Baux is Bergamot, Frankincense, Vanilla and Cedarwood. It runs around the $60 mark for a good sized bottle and it's excellent stuff. Not as mainstream as the department store colognes. More like a niche type fragrance that you're not going to smell on others that you bump into throughout the day. I've paid three to four times as much for similar smelling colognes. This one is pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

You can try it before you buy it if there's a local L'Occitane store by you. They're usually found in the higher end malls.

My blue de chanel and dior sauvage are basically untouched since I got the Aqua di parma bergamotto di calabria colone

I would look at Tuscany and Havana by Aramis, both are masculine, not too "old school" and are extremely reasonable at discounters. I think you can get them for around $25 a bottle. Guerlain Heritage is another option, again masculine, classic, but not what I would call grandpa smelling. Again, most Guerlain's can be had for under $50 from discounters. Encre Noir by Lalique is another great option as well as Guerlain Vetiver.

I enjoy Caron Pour Un Homme, but the opening is very, very lavender. The drydown is very, very vanilla.

Caron Le Tres Homme is strong and masculine and leans heavily towards classic if not maybe a bit dressy. Perhaps not safe as a blind buy, as it comes off as very mature or dapper.

Terre d'Hermes is masculine, woodsy and safe. It is a favorite of mine.

Encre Noir is nice if not anlittle understated. It does smell a lot like black ink, which I find pleasant but melancholy.

Lalique has some good offerings in your price range. My wife likes the Hommage à L'Homme.

Fragrances of Ireland Patrick is a very fern-like fougere.

Guerlain Vetiver is very nice and classy.

Banana Republic Cypress Cedar comes off a lot like Terre d'Hermes but at a lower price range.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

L'occitane Eau des Baux is Bergamot, Frankincense, Vanilla and Cedarwood. It runs around the $60 mark for a good sized bottle and it's excellent stuff. Not as mainstream as the department store colognes. More like a niche type fragrance that you're not going to smell on others that you bump into throughout the day. I've paid three to four times as much for similar smelling colognes. This one is pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

You can try it before you buy it if there's a local L'Occitane store by you. They're usually found in the higher end malls.
I give a definite thumbs up to Eau De Baux. It may be heavy during warm weather, but in Fall and Winter it is a staple for me.

Oh, and Mahogany Woods by Bath and Body Works is a great vanilla, amber and wood scent if you can find it.

Caron Le Tres Homme is strong and masculine and leans heavily towards classic if not maybe a bit dressy. Perhaps not safe as a blind buy, as it comes off as very mature or dapper.

It's kind of funny that you say that Tres Homme comes across as "dressy" and "mature or dapper" given how it was marketed. Here's a picture of my bottle. Yes, it came in a freaking tool kit! 😂🤣😂🤣
IMG_20200709_140457724.jpg
IMG_20200709_140519371.jpg

Last edited:
It's kind of funny that you say that Tres Homme comes across as "dressy" and "mature or dapper" given how it was marketed. Here's a picture of my bottle. Yes, it came in a freaking tool kit! [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]View attachment 1123654View attachment 1123655
That is awesome. It's funny how scents hit you. I smelled that fragrance when I was younger. It was always a guy in a nice suit that wore it, and I've always had that association with it. But now that I think about it, the compliments that I've gotten with it are usually from a younger demographic. My daughter (20's) always encourages me to wear it, whereas my wife can take it or leave it. I think she thinks it's a "dad" scent.

Thanks for the suggestions. Eau de Beaux sounds intriguing, as does Mahogany Wood. Since I'm mostly looking at fall/winter scents, I've got time to go to a mall and smell those (hopefully). In the meantime, I think I've decided Guerlain Vetiver is worth a blind buy. Still on the fence about Encre Noir and Givenchy Gentleman. Maybe I'll just watch the deals and get the small bottles!

Guerlain Vetiver is a classic. Another Guerlain classic I enjoy digging out is Habit Rouge.

Givenchy Gentleman (the original, not the newer scent with the same name) even in its current form is a great, masculine fragrance. I’d say it’s woody overall but very well blended. I’ve been asked what I‘m wearing a few times. I put it in the timeless category.

If your wife likes sandalwood and vanilla, have you tried Chanel Égoïste? I was also thinking if you like oriental spicy it might do the trick nicely. The base, which lasts quite a while on me, is definitely a vanilla and sandalwood combination. Another really well blended fragrance.

P.S. I’ve been finding a lot of newer fragrances for men a bit too safe and boring as well. Exceptions have been from Acqua di Parma, Tom Ford and Aramis, who have been behind Ermenegildo Zegna’s fragrances. They came out with one called Musk Gold and that was really quite ‘intriguing’ to the nose. Animalic doesn‘t do it justice! My favourite, which I think is getting harder to find sadly, is Javanese Patchouli.

Last edited:
Geo F Trumper Spanish Leather - old school saddle leather rather than motorcycle jacket; some floral notes but musky notes are more dominant. Mature & masculine.

Top Bottom