What's new

Seeking razor recommendations

So far, I've been using a Kamphe Star, and a Merkur 38c HD long. It's given me some idea of which direction I want to go, but there are a lot of options and I'm wondering if anyone that's tried a lot of stuff can list some possible models based on my preferences of the other two.

My Kamphe has some things I like more, the handle doesn't have that grit design, but actually has an angular handle, shaped like the star of david when seen from below which offers a much better grasp. It also seems like the shape of the head is able to maneuver around my face more gracefully than the Merkur, but it grips my face a lot more, no matter what angle I hold it at (would this be caused by the size of the gap between blade and razor?) Merkur has that bulbous head that gets in the way.. but I love it's weight, and essentially I end up with a better more comfortable shave.

I shave with two passes during the weekdays because I don't have a whole lot of time. I'm thinking I might want to try something with more blade, with decent weight up top, but less bulk than the Merkur. As far as the handle goes... I know most of the popular models don't have the option of anything more than the grit.. and some don't even have that. Maybe someone knows someone that makes custom handles with angles?

Anyone have ideas?

I was going to suggest 1914(?) Gem/Ever Ready/Star, or a Barber Pole Slant Bar razor, or a Futur as all deliver very close shaves and have great audible feedback.

Yeah, Gems never even crossed my mind. I don't know much about them. Are they single edge or double? What's 1914 a year or the model, no reviews... but Gems go for really cheap on ebay. I've also been checking this sucker out.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=B&t=95622

I'm not certain, but I believe he means 1912, which is a patent date for a Gem single edge razor. By all accounts a nice razor, but if you don't like large heads it may not be the one you prefer. It does come in several different handle variations, one of which is angular and ornate, a hexagon with a chain link type design on it.

I've tried a Gem (it's a SE) and it gave an great close shave. If I didn't predominately use straights that's what I'd get.

I'm not certain, but I believe he means 1912, which is a patent date for a Gem single edge razor. By all accounts a nice razor, but if you don't like large heads it may not be the one you prefer. It does come in several different handle variations, one of which is angular and ornate, a hexagon with a chain link type design on it.

Man these things look like they are from the dark ages don't they? :D What kind of blades do these take? And where do you buy them? I mine as well get one just to see, they're pretty affordable.

Pella blades have a lot going for them, but I tend to get the simple ol' GEM/Personna blades from the local Walgreens drug store. They are about 5 bucks for a 10 pack.

A GEM is definately a little different critter than your standard DE razor. The blades are a lot stiffer to begin with, and as with a DE you want the weight of the razor to do the work. The key to a GEM is no pressure on the face.

The audio feedback is awesome. You can hear every little whisker cut on the blade edge, while feeling very little to no tugging on the face.

If you can't find a 1912 variant, then a GEM bullet tip would be my next choice for a SE with a decent amount of weight. If you don't mind going a bit lighter on the weight then look for a GEM featherweight.

You also might want to look at some of the Schick injector SEs as well. They are a bit more on the lighter side, but are a fair amount easier to steer around the face.

just my .02 :001_smile
enjoy the shave.

I don't think I should have a problem finding the 1912 model, they seem to come up on ebay enough. How long do you use your blades before switching? about the same amount of time as a DE. Thanks you guys, very helpful.

Blade life will vary, but I get 6-7 days out of the Walgreens GEM blades from Personna. The 1912 variants are really great shavers. So far, I've only tried one Ever Ready (also a 1912 variant, virtually identical). Used it for a week. Best shaves I've gotten since starting proper Wet Shaving.

I've got several GEMs, Ever Readys and I think a Star I need to try now. 1912 was made by all these, plus I think one other company.

Here's a British Ever Ready cased set I picked up that shows the handle described above.

proxy.php

Blade life will vary, but I get 6-7 days out of the Walgreens GEM blades from Personna. The 1912 variants are really great shavers. So far, I've only tried one Ever Ready (also a 1912 variant, virtually identical). Used it for a week. Best shaves I've gotten since starting proper Wet Shaving.

I've got several GEMs, Ever Readys and I think a Star I need to try now. 1912 was made by all these, plus I think one other company.

Here's a British Ever Ready cased set I picked up that shows the handle described above.

proxy.php

Dag Gum, Rick.....
That's one purty razor. :w00t::w00t:

+1 for the 1912s. i just wish i could get decent blades for them in the uk.

if you can find the blades for it, i also recommend a valet autostrop. you cant really use it as an every day shaver because the blades have been out of production for so long, but if you can find a complete kit with a strop thats in good condition, they keep a good edge if properly maintained and i have had at least 12 shaves out of the blade i am currently using.

Ok, now I'm slightly confused. Do these razors require a strop? The valet and the 1912? I thought those blades were disposable.

The Valet uses a different (proprietary) blade, and is set up to also strop them (requires the strop that came with them I believe, got one last week, I'll try and get a pic of it up).

The blades are found now and then on eBay, mostly useful for display I think (as in expensive, not making them any more, and IIRC, they also take quite a bit of work to make shave ready). So the Valet is not a truly viable option for a regularly used razor.

The 1912 OTOH, is completely different. It takes a single edged blade you've probably seen many times (ever see a single edge blade with a thick folded over spline on the back, commonly used to scrape paint from glass etc.? That'd be the style blades these take- but buy the kind made for shaving, not the utility grade version :wink:).

like i said, you cant use it as a daily shave, but as a treat, they are a very nice BBS if you can get the knack of it :D

azra31: Lmao, I hope you didn't think I was talking about you. See video link below last post.

Top Bottom