What's new

Seeking info on this Every-Ready model

I was on vacation and happened to stop in a wild and dingy antique store and picked this up for $10. If someone could help identify what model, type of metal, and how old this is, I would really appreciate it.

PXL_20220710_101725639.jpg

The picture doesnt show much of the head but my guess according to the handle its what is called a 1912. Made around 1919. Made from brass then plated.

Others may have better info but this will get you started.

It's not a 1912, it's the model known as the 1924 or "Shovelhead". It was produced starting around 1919 and if I recall correctly it got the name 1924 because someone found that it was available in the Sears catalogue that year and hence the nickname. You can search under those names and find a ton of info about that model.

Definitely a shovel head. Good razor, but the the angle one uses with this razor differs from that of all the other GEM-style razors. Just FYI. For the others, keeping the head almost flat up against the face works best but for the Shovel head it is best to move it away a little bit.
Experiment with the angle a bit on the flat part of your cheeks and you'll figure it out. For those with a lot of Gem experience it takes a bit of time. For those coming from DEs, this is probably the easiest one to learn.

This is the only razor I use.
1924 ever ready shovel head.

I have a similar metal case with a different latch mechanism.

It is solid brass with, I believe a nickel finish?

You have the pedestal base model. Some have a longer handle than others. Yours may be long handle model.

Yours has no knurling so it is going to slippery. If you really like the razor, get this same model with the knurling on the handle. Less slippery when wet. Not too expensive.

Manufactured in 1919 - 1933?, it is 90- 100 years old +. This is history.

I recommend using a GEM PTFE blade.
CS or SS. I use both. If I had to choose one I would use the SS blade.

Keep clean. After each use I use a small brush and hand sanitizer to clean the head and the handle.

I then spray alcohol on it and the blade to help with sanitizing and to let it dry.

This prevents rusting especially for the CS blade.

I break it down and let it dry more, especially the CS blade. I use Kleenex to make sure it is clean and dry.

I return it broken down to the case.

This takes about 2-5 minutes to do.

I use my blade for a week and then toss. I shave daily. Even when I skip days, I toss it after a week.

Happy shaving.

Top Bottom