What's new

Seeking advice on my next brush (replacing AOS Pure badger)

I'm currently using an Art Of Shaving Pure badger brush. I wouldn't say I need to replace it, but I would like to expand my brush options, at least with one additional brush.

I've had this for probably ten+ years, but only used it a handful of times up until discovering B&B and beginning to wet shave in December '21. I lose a bristle or two every shave, and it's got a nice chip in the handle, but the brush performs well for me.

I'm a shower shaver, and generally palm lather as face lathering tends to be irritating to my skin and I never seem to get enough hydration when face lathering.

Chubby 2 is gorgeous, but I'm hoping to stay with badger hair, and I'm not looking to spend so much $$. I imagine you folks have a head full of alternative options that will make me happy.

Please throw me some suggestions of an affordable badger brush, which will be similar (or better) in performance to this brush.

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. Another shape handle would be great too, as I have big hands, and find myself holding the very end of the handle with my finger tips, and it makes me feel like I'm throwing a "knuckle-ball".

1685930441303.png
1685930589108.png

To be most helpful more information is needed, in particular, what is your budget? We all have different levels of what's "affordable." Do you prefer a specific size knot, is 22 too small, 28 too big, etc.? I have a variety of brushes from Simpson, Shavemac, Rooney, M&F, Kent, Semogue, Plisson, PAA and they are all good performers. My daily driver is a Simpson Polo 8 if that helps.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't know your brush. Unfortunately, pure badger doesn't really mean much - some are pretty stiff and some are pretty soft.

The SOC 2 band badger might be a great choice. It has excellent backbone and very soft tips (maybe soft enough for you to try face lathering if you like). The wood handle is my personal favorite and is fairly large. Last I looked it was under $70.

Since your badger is still in operation you might also want to consider a different hair. A Big Bruce synthetic (or similar) is under $20 so it's not a big gamble.

You're not the only one who has complaints about this brush losing hairs, but you might consider cleaning the brush. Soap in the knot is often the cause of shedding.

To be most helpful more information is needed, in particular, what is your budget? We all have different levels of what's "affordable." Do you prefer a specific size knot, is 22 too small, 28 too big, etc.? I have a variety of brushes from Simpson, Shavemac, Rooney, M&F, Kent, Semogue, Plisson, PAA and they are all good performers. My daily driver is a Simpson Polo 8 if that helps.

Thanks for the help Capt!

The Chubby 2 is out of my price range, unless I hear enough people tell me anything less is wasted money, but I don't expect that. My definition of affordable is sub $75...

I don't have a preference on knot size, having no basis for comparison other than the AoS brush from the original post. But to your point, I see I'll need to get measurements of mine, to determine where to go from here. I'd say bigger would be better.

The Polo 8 looks nice, and that handle shape looks like it would be more comfortable than mine.

I don't know your brush. Unfortunately, pure badger doesn't really mean much - some are pretty stiff and some are pretty soft.

The SOC 2 band badger might be a great choice. It has excellent backbone and very soft tips (maybe soft enough for you to try face lathering if you like). The wood handle is my personal favorite and is fairly large. Last I looked it was under $70.

Since your badger is still in operation you might also want to consider a different hair. A Big Bruce synthetic (or similar) is under $20 so it's not a big gamble.

You're not the only one who has complaints about this brush losing hairs, but you might consider cleaning the brush. Soap in the knot is often the cause of shedding.

Thanks for chiming in Musicman!

Yeah, the "pure" basically is the bottom of the barrel, I was showing that to hopefully find someone who had this brush, and could recommend my best logical step forward.

Great info about cleaning the brush, I didn't know that could cause the shedding.

I've considered a synthetic because of the affordability as well, just to see if I like it. Do you own the Big Bruce, and could you say how you like it?

Reactions: d_e
Sounds like the pure grade is to course for your skin so you need something softer. You can still palm lather and face lather after your new brush breaks in.

I would like to suggest Semogue Finest SOC in Cherry or Ash keeping it just pennies within your budget - a fine life long keeper. Also I'd like to suggest saving your allowance to aquire another brush ASAP to take some pressure off the Finest. A boar or Mistura (mixed) Semogue would be nice but both would likely need some breakin time to be soft enough for daily face lathering. I think a Simpson Duke 2 in Best would be an interesting compliment you'll need to check handle size on that.

Last edited:
One thing you may want to change is your brush holding technique. Some barbers place the base of the brush handle in their palms and pinch the hairs emerging from the top of the handle. Since you have big hands, this could prove a more comfortable way for you to hold your brush while also providing better control of the brush.

In the meantime, since you're shaving in the shower, I'd recommend using a synthetic badger brush with a plastic (not wood) handle. The drying time for synthetic hair is much shorter than for natural hair and the plastic handle wouldn't be as prone to damage in the shower as wood. Best of all, there are plenty of synthetic shave brushes that are inexpensive (check the forum for Omega brushes, for instance).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use a lot of Yaqi badger brushes and my favorite are 2 band and 3 band brushes, if you where using a pure badger before a 2 band will feel very different and more pleasurable IMO. You should not feel any scritch just a nice pillow like soft tips with a little back bone is the best I can describe it. Silvertip or 3band brushes have a very nice face feel when lathering, the hairs on the 3band are thinner and more of them and they come from the front neck area of the badger area. Yaqi brushes can be purchased at West Coast shaving or on line, there are lots of good brands of badger brushes to choose from also.

Based on what you're coming from, your price limit, and desire for a handle for big hands, I second the suggestion of @musicman1951. The Semogue owners club badger sounds like the perfect match. I also think you will find it to be quite an upgrade over the Art of Shaving Pure.

I'd recommend a Simpson Commodore X3 for price and a Simpson Duke 2 for price and versatility. A Berkeley 46 is another I'd recommend but it is a thinner version of the Duke 2.

A Colonel X2L is a great versatile introduction to the Simpson line of brushes as well.
Thanks for the suggestions. The Duke 2 is a beauty, and that might be the one!
Sounds like the pure grade is to course for your skin so you need something softer. You can still palm lather and face lather after your new brush breaks in.

I would like to suggest Semogue Finest SOC in Cherry or Ash keeping it just pennies within your budget - a fine life long keeper. Also I'd like to suggest saving your allowance to aquire another brush ASAP to take some pressure off the Finest. A boar or Mistura (mixed) Semogue would be nice but both would likely need some breakin time to be soft enough for daily face lathering. I think a Simpson Duke 2 in Best would be an interesting compliment you'll need to check handle size on that.
Second vote for the Duke 2. I know I'll get a boar eventually as well. I'm not sure that model Semogue is my style per se.
One thing you may want to change is your brush holding technique. Some barbers place the base of the brush handle in their palms and pinch the hairs emerging from the top of the handle. Since you have big hands, this could prove a more comfortable way for you to hold your brush while also providing better control of the brush.

In the meantime, since you're shaving in the shower, I'd recommend using a synthetic badger brush with a plastic (not wood) handle. The drying time for synthetic hair is much shorter than for natural hair and the plastic handle wouldn't be as prone to damage in the shower as wood. Best of all, there are plenty of synthetic shave brushes that are inexpensive (check the forum for Omega brushes, for instance).
Thanks for the tip about my grip! I'll try to switch it up a bit and see if it helps. I think I'll likely end up with a synthetic and a boar, jus to try everything.
I use a lot of Yaqi badger brushes and my favorite are 2 band and 3 band brushes, if you where using a pure badger before a 2 band will feel very different and more pleasurable IMO. You should not feel any scritch just a nice pillow like soft tips with a little back bone is the best I can describe it. Silvertip or 3band brushes have a very nice face feel when lathering, the hairs on the 3band are thinner and more of them and they come from the front neck area of the badger area. Yaqi brushes can be purchased at West Coast shaving or on line, there are lots of good brands of badger brushes to choose from also.
I have to say my pure badger isn't too scritchy, but I'm also not scrubbing my face with it. I've seen the Yaqi synthetic in the barber pole design and it looks massive. I haven't checked out their brushes, specifically their badgers, so I'll look into them as well.

I took some measurements of my AoS brush:

Overall brush height - 101mm
Handle height - 46mm
Knot loft - 54mm
Knot diameter - 22mm knot (approximately, I don't have a caliper to measure it properly)

I'm thinking I want a larger loft, with softer tips, and more backbone. (this one gets a little floppy)

Based on the dimensions, I see the Duke is actually a little smaller.

The Chubby 3 is even about the same, but with a wider know at 29mm.

I guess my brush is actually pretty large compared to the average brush?

Synthetic: Simpson Trafalgar. Either a T2 or T3. Great brushes that are fairly soft with decent backbone. Usually under $40

Badger: WCS beacon silver tip. Extremely soft with decent backbone. Mine shed like crazy the first few times I used it (20-30 hairs total) but it settled down nicely since. Currently $55

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Thanks for the help Capt!

The Chubby 2 is out of my price range, unless I hear enough people tell me anything less is wasted money, but I don't expect that. My definition of affordable is sub $75...

I don't have a preference on knot size, having no basis for comparison other than the AoS brush from the original post. But to your point, I see I'll need to get measurements of mine, to determine where to go from here. I'd say bigger would be better.

The Polo 8 looks nice, and that handle shape looks like it would be more comfortable than mine.

Thanks for chiming in Musicman!

Yeah, the "pure" basically is the bottom of the barrel, I was showing that to hopefully find someone who had this brush, and could recommend my best logical step forward.

Great info about cleaning the brush, I didn't know that could cause the shedding.

I've considered a synthetic because of the affordability as well, just to see if I like it. Do you own the Big Bruce, and could you say how you like it?
I do own it. It's an excellent $15 brush. Like most synthetics in this range it can be a little "flicky" with the lather if you get to quick on the face, although that would be a non-issue in a bowl. Synthetics tend to spring back in a way that natural hairs don't. But if you just slow down a little bit it's not a problem. They dry very quickly, which makes for a wonderful travel brush.

There are better synthetics in the $70 range and better than that in the $250 range, but I wouldn't consider one without trying a cheaper one first.

Synthetic: Simpson Trafalgar. Either a T2 or T3. Great brushes that are fairly soft with decent backbone. Usually under $40

Badger: WCS beacon silver tip. Extremely soft with decent backbone. Mine shed like crazy the first few times I used it (20-30 hairs total) but it settled down nicely since. Currently $55
I'll check these out! Thanks for the suggestions!
I do own it. It's an excellent $15 brush. Like most synthetics in this range it can be a little "flicky" with the lather if you get to quick on the face, although that would be a non-issue in a bowl. Synthetics tend to spring back in a way that natural hairs don't. But if you just slow down a little bit it's not a problem. They dry very quickly, which makes for a wonderful travel brush.

There are better synthetics in the $70 range and better than that in the $250 range, but I wouldn't consider one without trying a cheaper one first.
Great info, thanks very much! ...and thanks specifically for the "flicky" warning!

Top Bottom