What's new

Seeking a soothing aftershave splash

Just like the title says. I now regularly alternate between Speick and 4711 splashes and I love that they have alcohol to disinfect yet the burn only lasts a short while and the skin is left soft and soothed afterwards. I have not read the ingredient list on the 4711 but I know Speick has WH and alum.

I had Proraso in the rotation but it burns every time and the burn hangs around for way longer than I'd like. I do believe I have sensitivity to menthol, so things containing too much of it end up setting my skin on fire.

I am looking for a splash and for something with alcohol but that also contains soothing ingredients like perhaps WH, aloe, glycerine, etc. Thanks.

4711 Ingrediants(Alcohol, Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Benzophenone-3, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Linalool, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citral, Citric Acid, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronella, Ext. Violet 2 (CI 60730), Blue #1 (CI 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 1140).

Notice first ingrediant is ALCOHOL

Just add about 30% (+-)Thayers wich hazel(no alcohol)---Water (Purified), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Glycerin (Vegetable), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract (Thayers proprietary un-distilled), Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)

Less Burn and a lot more healing power

Last edited:
DR Harris Pink, maybe?

I know Captain's Choice has WH, and no menthol, but there is also some heat to it because of the mix of bay rum oils.

Thanks and let me add that I do use Thayers AF WH prior to splashing on the A/S. What I'm saying is that after lots of trial and error, I find that 4711 and Speick are excellent for me, whether or not I use the WH prior. I'm just wondering what other splashes out there are soothing.

I've heard La Toja, AV Blue, and Aubrey Organics are all soothing. Just wondering what else is out there. Thanks.

St. Charles Shave Lime Splash and Dagger Splash may be what you are looking for. Very soothing and easy on your pocketbook.

Musgo Real splash is fantastic stuff. It's really soothing. It contains witch hazel and a bunch of other goodies for the skin. It also smells great.

I highly recommend Aubrey Organics. Alcohol is the first ingredient, but it doesn't burn (for me).

INGREDIENTS INCI: Alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), aqua, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) extract, glycerin, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, pinus sylvestris (pine) oil, panax ginseng (ginseng) extract.

Thanks and let me add that I do use Thayers AF WH prior to splashing on the A/S. What I'm saying is that after lots of trial and error, I find that 4711 and Speick are excellent for me, whether or not I use the WH prior. I'm just wondering what other splashes out there are soothing.

I've heard La Toja, AV Blue, and Aubrey Organics are all soothing. Just wondering what else is out there. Thanks.
It's too bad that you have a menthol sensitivity, because AV Blue has a pretty noticeable menthol kick to it. So it and all the Floids are probably out. I don't know how noticeable the menthol in La Toja is, but it's in the ingredients list.

Musgo Real splash is fantastic stuff. It's really soothing. It contains witch hazel and a bunch of other goodies for the skin. It also smells great.
And how!:001_tt1:

Thanks Gents!

I gathered from the recommendations that La Toja, Musgo Real, and Aubrey Organics are all good. Also, just to clarify... I'm not allergic to menthol at all but it appears that my skin does not like it in large doses such as in Proraso. And I'm not trying to avoid alcohol... I like the burn but again in smaller doses!

I've read that Adidas makes some really good aftershaves. Any feedback?

I would try Aqua Velva, it has menthol but it really soothes. Besides if it doesn't agree with your face you are only out $5.00.

Top Bottom