What's new

Seeking a new blade

I have an assortment of moderate supply (GSB, 7 O'clock yellow, Polisilver, Israeli Persona, Voskhod) and am looking to expand my horizons. I know the YMMV factor is real but advice would be welcomed. I'm seeking the balance between sharp and smooth. A Goldilocks blade as it were. All to be used in vintage Gillettes, Rockwell 6C, Merkur HD38, EJ89 and the like.

I've never tried Nacets, Lord, Big Ben or Treet to name but a few. It's been years since I used a Permasharp. Same for Astra SP which I seem to remember liking but I've recently read that they have plummeted in quality (is this so?). Amazon has Astras from different sellers indicating them as being Russian, USA, and being from Derby International, LLC which I think means Turkish.

Any thoughts?

I don't really think the 'goldilocks' blade has been invented yet, in that it would cover the ideals of a blade for most users.

It sounds as if you already have some of the finest DE blades on the market, which consistently appear on B&B's 'top' blade lists. But it is an elusive and frustrating thing to compare blades, when there are so many types, and humans using them, all with different techniques, beard types and preferences.

Early I stumbled on the Personna family, and I have been very content. I have GSB, Wizamet, Polsilver and some Lords and Feathers that I have not tried yet, which were recommended strongly by experienced colleagues to me. I have also had good success with SS Gillette Wilkinson Sword Indian Saloons. Inexpensive yet very popular here.

What has worked best for you so far, and in what razor? It sounds as though most of your razors are in the mid efficiency category, with the exception of the Rockwell. What has been the nearest to the 'goldilocks' blade so far in your experience?

A good inexpensive OC like the classic Fatip Piccolo would be a good addition to your collection, and makes many blades of the sharp, smooth variety even better to use with it. Of high efficiency, yet very user friendly.

Last edited:
Your friendly Indian blade evangelist here to remind you that there some fine specimens available, and some... cough

Gillette Wilkinson Swords made in India for the Indian market, they are surprisingly the bottom tier blade. The older, still available, made in China for India ones are even better. The Gillette Blacks are a great blade, but I think they are too sharp to be considered "balanced."

Vidyut Metals makes Zorikk and Super-Max. You can't go wrong with most of them, but try the Diamond Edge or anything that says Titanium. The Super Platinums are nice blades, but slightly less sharp. There is also the green box Super Stainless.

Any of the Lord family blades labeled "Platinum class" are decent though not as sharp as I would like. You see what they did there, they aren't Platinum coated. There are several different boxes at several different prices and blades inside are in the same exact wrapper.

Don't forget about Kais, they are in that middle ground as long as you can deal with the added width.

GSB have a good balance but prices have risen. Gillette Platinum, Wizamet, Dorco Prime, Wilkinson Sword (German) or Bic chrome are often mentioned. I also hear the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) from India are well rated.
As far as I know the Astra SP are still highly regarded.

Thanks for the replies! I have no experience with Indian blades and maybe the time is now. Were I to pick a nearest to Goldilocks out of what I have experienced, I'd say it's the Polisilver SI (now made of "un-obtainium"). Mowed down what was in its path and left no evidence. It might well be the razor it was paired with.

Interesting suggestion about acquiring a Fatip. Never crossed my mind as I have quite a few razors... The only 2 OCs are a cherished 30s gold Gillette Aristocrat that I consider efficient (is it?) that is a joy to use, and a Gillette "New" OC. The latter has never left me without some loss of bodily fluids and a "Home Alone" aftermath. No love there. How would the Fatip compare? And why the Piccolo rather than the Grande?

I'm currently using Nacets in all of my razors and they have been working very well for me. Never any nicks or cuts but my razors are not overly aggressive.

1649437027873.png

I'd suggest you give Nacets, Bic chrome platinum, and Feathers a try. Also, I've bought hundreds of Astra SP's over the past 8 plus years and have not noticed a change in them. They are my go-to everyday blade.

Some suggestions in no particular order:
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Bic Chrome Platinum
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Platinum (in the black package)
  • Wizamet SI is reportedly identical to Polsilver SI
  • Silver Star

The best way is to order a sample pack and see what makes your face feel good.

I have an assortment of moderate supply (GSB, 7 O'clock yellow, Polisilver, Israeli Persona, Voskhod) and am looking to expand my horizons. I know the YMMV factor is real but advice would be welcomed. I'm seeking the balance between sharp and smooth. A Goldilocks blade as it were. All to be used in vintage Gillettes, Rockwell 6C, Merkur HD38, EJ89 and the like.
Most of the blades you are currently using are mid-sharp blades. Are your Israeli Personnas the Platinum Chrome blades or the Crystal blades?. If they are Platinums, they are likely to be sharper than the other blades in your list. Many shavers tend to like these mid-sharp blades as they are sharp enough, but not too sharp.

Some other mid-sharp blade you might want to try are: Astra Super Stainless (not the Superior Platinums), Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword mentioned previously, Gillette Platinum, 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (green), and Rapira Platinum Lux.

What do you like and dislike about your current blades.? For example, I wish the 7 O'Clock Sharpedge Yellows were sharper. They do not work for me unless it is in an aggressive razor. Some shavers might consider the Yellows to be their "Goldilocks" blade. but I prefer a sharper blade.

Some less familiar blades are Dorco Prime Platinum, Durablade Sharp Titanium, Lord Platinum Class, Shark Platinum, and SuperMax Blue Diamond. I enjoy using each of them.

You will see many comments about BiC Chrome Platinum, Nacet, PermaSharp Super and 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black blades. If your current blades are not quite sharp enough for your liking, you should try one or more of these. However, be warned that these are super sharp blades and some people find them too sharp. I have a tough beard and love these blades as they slice through my stubble.

Every one should try Feather Hi-Stainless blades at least once in their shaving journey. They are the sharpest blades available out of the wrapper. Some people love them for this reason. The issue with Feather blades is that the edge deteriorates rather quickly, so many folks do not like them as they do not last as long as many other blades. I cannot even make it through three shaves before Feather blades feel rough on my face, so I am not a fan.

If your current blades are sharper than you like, blades like Astra Superior Platinum and Derby Premium might be to your liking.

When shavers recommend blades, they are typically blades they like in their own razors. Those blades might not be suitable for your beard, your face, and your razors with your shaving technique. That is why blades are one of the most YMMV aspects of DE shaving.

Thanks for the replies! I have no experience with Indian blades and maybe the time is now. Were I to pick a nearest to Goldilocks out of what I have experienced, I'd say it's the Polisilver SI (now made of "un-obtainium"). Mowed down what was in its path and left no evidence. It might well be the razor it was paired with.

Interesting suggestion about acquiring a Fatip. Never crossed my mind as I have quite a few razors... The only 2 OCs are a cherished 30s gold Gillette Aristocrat that I consider efficient (is it?) that is a joy to use, and a Gillette "New" OC. The latter has never left me without some loss of bodily fluids and a "Home Alone" aftermath. No love there. How would the Fatip compare? And why the Piccolo rather than the Grande?
The Fatip is a modern classic, and a lovely OC brass razor for about £16. I just like the Piccolo handle. The Grande handle may suit you better. However the Fatip OC head is obviously the same. It has a ton of fans here.

Here is a thread where I ask the forum's feedback on getting one. The responses may shed more light.
I'm Thinking Of Getting An OC Razor. Fatip Piccolo Best Bang For Buck? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/im-thinking-of-getting-an-oc-razor-fatip-piccolo-best-bang-for-buck.620119/

@RayClem's post especially above has a ton of good advice. Good hunting!

Last edited:
It seems the Feather is that one blade that when people use it after they have some semblance of decent technique they end up preferring it. I would recommend not buying a 100 pack of any blade until you give a couple of feathers a try.

If you are in the USA, maybe try Personna Comfort Coated only $14 on amazon. If you wanted to try Derby start with Derby premium, I think they are a little better than Derby Extra. Zorrik Super Platinum and Dorco Prime Platinum are good too.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black-from India)
Sharp Titanium
Shark Platinum
Lord Silver Star
Timor Stainless (expensive, but good)
Bic Astor
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Chinese...pretty good and dirt cheap!)

Good luck with your search, comrade!

What I did when I first started out DE shaving having no experience with blades is to take note of people's favorite blades and order a sampler pack from RBC or Try a Blade with at least 2 blades each. Then try them out for yourself. The one lesson that I have learned is not to allow other people's experiences with blades determine how they will work for me. An example that I found for myself is that Dorcos and Derbys, work for me but they are two of the most mentioned blades that are terrible for many shavers. There have been some highly regarded blades such as the Astra SS and Wilkinson Sword that don't work for me but they are great for others. And then there are the blades that are great for others and I find they are great for me as well such as Nacet and Personna Med Prep/Labs. The bottom line is you won't know what works for you until you try the blade out for yourself.

Top Bottom