What's new

Seek improvements to my shave

Hi guys,
I am using an EJ89. I would like to see if there is anything wrong with my shave.
I always! get weepers trying to achieve BBS, which I mostly do, with lots of blade buffing. Apart from weepers, my skin is very raw after the multiple buffings.
I read that weepers are caused by applying pressure which I think I unintentionally did when trying to do a closer shave ATG.

May I know if there is a way to achieve BBS without the buffing method or something that is easier on my skin? Or should I try shimming which I prefer not to as handling razor blades more often than needed is something I try to avoid.

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a more aggressive razor which I read that would give me less irritation with less passes?

This is something of a minefield :eek2:

I think you've made the first correction appraisal yourself: focus on not applying pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the work. Second, don't chase BBS, at least not while you're learning technique; give yourself at least a month with the same equipment while you focus on getting it right.

I, too, had some irritation when I first started, which I surmise was probably because I was still applying pressure even though I kept telling myself not to. Once I focused on just letting the razor do the work things improved tremendously--I also thing a small part of it was that I was new to DE shaving and my skin simply wasn't accustomed to it yet.

Consider mapping your beard grain, too. That helped me a great deal.

An aggressive razor will be more 'efficient' but it can also )if you're not careful) lead to more irritation and other nasties. The EJ89 should be a solid start. Give it a little time, let your technique improve. Your face is like no one else's, so while we can all offer you some good advice not all of it apply to you . . . find what works for you. Stick with it, I promise, it will get better!

Tricky question to answer, since eveyones skin is different.
For some - a more aggressive razor with fewer passes can give less skin irritation.
For most - it’s possible to get a bbs with the EJ89 and the correct technique.
What helped me a lot with going against the grain, was absolutely no preasure (less than the weight of the razor).
Also you might want to ride the cap more when going against the grain. This will lead to less skin irritation for some.

I would say: stick with the equipment you have, and perfect the shave - before chasing the best razor for you.
Hope this helped you out in one way or the other. :)

Echoing what was just said above I'll also ask the questions:

a) how many passes are you doing?
b) what software are you using and how good is the lather you're getting from it?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would focus on preparation, angle, and pressure. Remember that a closer shave is not always a better shave. For me a better shave would simply take longer and be more enjoyable, the closeness of the finished result would be irrelevant as I could not care less about BBS. I guess it depends what you are trying to achieve, for me it is purely pleasure and relaxation, I could almost take the blade out completely. Good luck 👍

Solid advice above. As a long time EJ89 fan I would add that you must find and more importantly keep the angle. No pressure, once more.
Make sure that lather is up to standard. It takes time to get it right.
I think BBS is overrated. Start with two wtg passes, move to wtg and xtg when you feel ready. By then you will get quality shave without the need for atg.
and just to emphasize: no pressure.

Some good advice above!

Several suggestions:
1. NO pressure (as you already note, but difficult in practice).
2. Watch your razor angle.
3. Revisit your blade options.

Stick with this and your results will improve! :clap: :clap:

I always! get weepers trying to achieve BBS, which I mostly do, with lots of blade buffing. Apart from weepers, my skin is very raw after the multiple buffings.
I read that weepers are caused by applying pressure which I think I unintentionally did when trying to do a closer shave ATG.

May I know if there is a way to achieve BBS without the buffing method or something that is easier on my skin? Or should I try shimming which I prefer not to as handling razor blades more often than needed is something I try to avoid.

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a more aggressive razor which I read that would give me less irritation with less passes?
Weepers are a result of poor technique, usually too much pressure. You need to concentrate on blade angle and getting the blade to do it's job which is cutting the stubble.
Buffing involves very light strokes to and fro with the blade remaining in light contact with the skin. It seems your buffing is heavy and ineffective. Don't keep chasing BBS, it will come to you. Good lather also helps so don't underestimate that parameter. Map your stubble and then you can do true ATG passes or near to that direction. Often DFS+ is good enough and you may have to accept that till your technique improves.
Switching to an aggressive razor with poor technique is a recipe for disaster.
The Shave Wiki should help; Interactive Guide to DE Razor Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Interactive_Guide_to_DE_Razor_Shaving

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Here's my standard advice...

... in the first four posts of that thread. In Part 4 there's some troubleshooting hints, but they'll make most sense after you've read the rest. I'm confident there'll be a few things in those four posts that will help you. :)

Hi guys,
I am using an EJ89. I would like to see if there is anything wrong with my shave.

Don't change razors or you'll keep chasing the technique. I'd follow the advice above. They know what they're talking about. I will add one thing. Use an alum block after your shave. It will give you feedback on where your irritation is, and it helps seal up the weepers. Also, try one pass shaves until you can do it with ZERO irritation. (Don't Buff.) Then work on the 2 pass shave. Again, with ZERO irritation. Once you can do that, then chase that BBS.

In my experience gentle skin stretching is a good way to get a bit closer and avoid irritation in sensitive areas like the neck.

Last edited:
Don't chase BBS or too early or you will hurt yourself. I suggest that you focus on making your shaves comfortable and enjoyable, and this will allow you to lay attention to details and not a finish line of BBS. That in the moment reorientation, and the resting attention to detail over time is what will move your technique forward, and that will get you closer to BBS with less weepers and irritation.

Lots of good advice has already been given, so I’ll just comment on the need for no pressure. Practice, practice, practice! That’s the great part about this hobby. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I am using Proraso Red cream, with Omega Boar brush. Bluebeard's Revenge Pre Shave Oil, and Gillette 7 o clock Super Stainless. At short notice I may be able to source a few other blades but again its limited here. I am trying to get a better soap or cream which provides thicker lather, I heard good stuff about Sterling soap but it don't ship to Singapore :c7:

Today I tried as much as possible to ride the cap with no pressure, but I think I subconsciously tried to go for BBS after feeling some stubble, and caused some weepers.

My problem areas are below the nose, edges of the mustache area (end of lips) where I am very afraid of cutting my lip, and below the chin. I did try to map my growth so I roughly know which direction is my growth.

As others have stated, don’t chase a BBS shave until you’ve solidified your technique WITH your optimum blade and cream/soap. You never mentioned if you are riding the cap on the BBS pass, but when you get to the point of being ready to try, try riding the cap. If you don’t know what that means, go to YouTube and watch some of geofatboys videos. He mentions riding the cap and demonstrates it on almost every one of his DE shaves.

Stop chasing BBS!!! It will come when it’s ready and you’ve earned it. It will happen and almost by accident. Just focus on a good two pass shave for a bit. Never touch up or buff without lathering first. All this is will power and good practice. As your technique improves incrementally you’ll get your bbs.

I am am getting close to BBS far more often since I stopped chasing it and just focused a comfortable and efficient two pass shave. I don’t even want BBS, just DCS. Listen to your skin, don’t push it. And find a blade that is consistent and works for you, it doesn’t have to be sharpest thing this side of the equator, just comfortable. Lastly, make sure you dial in and focus on great lathers. This is something that I think people fall into a comfort zone with a lather that isn’t fully dialed in and therefore aren’t getting the fully intended benefits. Learn to hydrate and build the lather. When you think it’s good, go for another minute or two without adding water, just let it do it’s thing. It will surprise you and be even better.

Hi guys,

For today I paid extra attention to use zero pressure and I think I succeeded (no weepers!). But on the flip side.... I would say I ended up with only a SAS shave, hopefully this will improve over time.

I have a couple of questions. I have read that people can get many uses out of a razor blade but I found that on my 3rd shave I would feel tugging on the blade and uncomfortable shave (I have tried gillette 7 o clock green super stainless and Derby Extra). Could I attribute it to my lack of technique? Or it is a case of YMMV?

And for pre shave oil, would it be better to apply on damp face after the hot towel or dry face? I do not think my blade glides after applying the pre shave oil as much as I would like.

I have a couple of questions. I have read that people can get many uses out of a razor blade but I found that on my 3rd shave I would feel tugging on the blade and uncomfortable shave (I have tried gillette 7 o clock green super stainless and Derby Extra). Could I attribute it to my lack of technique? Or it is a case of YMMV?

It's definitely a YMMV thing. Personally, I don't typically go beyond 4 shaves for a blade. I see no reason the get maximum use out of a blade, especially since they aren't super expensive. And with the Gillette Greens, I have had similar experiences. Great blade, but in my experience they don't last very long.

Top Bottom