What's new

Seeds

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Seeds are life. We need to understand that without them we will struggle to eat. If you have done any research about seeds lately especially with the Covid pandemic that there is a shortage of seeds. The immigrants that came from Europe brought seeds and they knew what to do by cultivating them at the end of the crop season. Today…nothing…or very little. I have stockpiled a very small amount of seed. I could use a small amount of seed to feed me or my family for a limited amount of time. So that being said, I plan to increase my seed supply. I plan to supply across many different variations of vegetables. I plan to learn how to save the seeds as well. You need to think about this too.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Excellent idea for a thread. My garden area is upwind from pretty much everything, and blocked off from the west by a square mile of woods....so this coming growing season I think I will be growing some heirloom sweet corn I've had a long time and saving some seed. I save my tomato seeds. This year we planted two different varieties of green beans that were hybrid seed offspring, and they did well; we'll see how those do next year.

GREAT idea and reminder to us all for a thread my friend!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
At one point we had thousands of seeds. Every kind of vegetable. We just use them every year but haven’t been great about replacing them. Last few years we’ve gotten seeds from Baker Creek but we could do better with ordering more.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I’ve been looking at seeds today on my Favorite websites. Baker Creek and Johnny’s seeds as well as a few others. All of the prices have skyrocketed.

Check out Kitizawa seeds. You can order in bulk. Just remember some seeds like peppers are best used in the next season. Germination rate declines after that.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Providing food not for us but for the critters, much of our yard came from Seedsource.com out in Junction, offering an incredible array of Texas natives. I harvest seeds and share with neighbors. My milkweed (native, not tropical) had its seed pods just burst. For the plantings other than food, try to find your local native seed sources. In only a few months it will be time to start mounds of beans, squash, and corn for their symbiotic benefit. For heritage fruits and vegetables, try your local farmers' markets.

Top Bottom