What's new

Security Systems, Security Cameras, Companies, Etc.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have two security problems for two different locations. One is a very big deal!

First, the easy problem, and the one I'm less concerned about.

proxy.php

My house is in a fairly upscale neighborhood but it's in the city. Crime is increasing, particularly burglary. I'm looking for the best system to protect my home and its content. I want window, door, and camera protection (a camera which records who is in the house, on the property, and maybe can be remotely monitored by me) + monitoring service (that will call the cops if need be). I own my home and can have things installed but only by paying someone to do the work (I'm not handy enough to trust myself on it nor do I want to do the work).

Any ideas? Brands? Pros and cons? Cost? Etc?

The second problem is more important to me.

upload_2019-3-20_10-27-57.jpeg

My daughter is a college junior. She's not old enough to legally qualify for a handgun carry permit. As I read the state laws she would be in legal jeopardy carrying a loaded handgun in her vehicle. She attends a public university and works in a school.

She shares an apartment with another girl. The apartment is nice and in a very safe area (according to the city police). The apartment has two entrances both being normal and substantial doors. There are no other ways of getting into the apartment besides windows (no ceiling tiles that give access via the ceiling or anything like that). The first floor windows are all sealed and don't open. The second floor windows have locks are kept locked.

On several occasions she and/or her roomie have come home to find the doors locked, including the dead bolts which can only be locked with a key (from the outside). Items within the apartment have been moved or rearranged. Nothing of value has been taken and perhaps nothing at all. Police reports have been filed at least four times. The locks have now been changed by the landlord. Both doors have dead bolts. Nobody has access for maintenance, etc.

The police say they've increased security rounds in her area because of this. My daughter reports police being seen by her (which is new). Good.

The locks were changed about a week ago, but...

This has happened once since the locks were changed!

My daughter says no friends, boyfriends, family, or anyone have been given keys. The spare keys are accounted for and put in a hiding place not obvious to visitors.

proxy.php

Not hardly!

Obviously someone is messing with these girls. It might well be an ex-boyfriend or even current kinda sorta boyfriend of the roomie. However, both these girls are serious students, serious people, and far from the usual college fools you might be thinking of. Not that they're mature adults or perfect of course.

Let's say someone thinks this a fun prank. Unless they're an absolute idiot they probably know it is also a felony.

What happens if my daughter or her roommate come home and the person is in the apartment and the girl recognizes them. What are the invader's options?
  • Prison.
  • Kill the girl.
  • Hope the girl laughs it off?
I do not like those choices one damn bit!

Since this is a rented apartment I don't want to install and perhaps can't install a system that's permanent. We're trying to get the landlord to install cameras, etc.

upload_2019-3-20_11-34-6.png

I'm trying to figure out how to make my daughter and her roommate safe.

I know this is not a situation anybody even wants to think about, and I'm sorry to bring it up, but it's very important and also urgent. I have no idea how this criminal is getting in.

We're asking the neighbors to look out for unauthorized entry, too, and to call the cops. I've also discussed the situation with my friend who is an attorney. She's a mom of several daughter of a similar age.

Any ideas?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Get a self contained camera. Some look like books or DVD so easy to disguise.

Point it in the major traffic area (inside must walk past).

Turn the video over to the police.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
simplisafe.com exactly why they invented it to protect their dorm room

^This.

It's been a while but when I lived in an apartment and traveled a lot I installed one. Got text alerts if any door or window was opened so I knew if a maintenance person was in/out and what time. You can program the alerts and give other persons their own code. Very flexible.

Now they have a camera option too.

Very easy to install and remove, nothing permanent and you can build your own system getting only the hardware you want/need. It sounds perfect for what you need. I highly recommend it.

Also, no contract, so when summer break or graduation comes, just cancel the monthly recurring payment.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks, everyone. I've spent all day looking at options, and talking to my daughter. This is high on my list of tasks.

Ring Doorbell is another option, you get live video feeds, ability to record remotely, real time alerts, eyc. I believe they have some models made for rental units that don't require permanent installation - ie, you'll get your security deposit back afternoon taking them out :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I spent most of yesterday reading about systems, particularly reading about security cameras. As far as I can determine, there are several issues.
  • Some have too high monthly monitoring or usage fees.
  • Many of the wireless cameras don't work all that well, certainly not like they're advertised to work; they have significant lag time, buffering issues, server issues, and all sorts of glitches and bugs. Some reviews are good. A great many reviews are horrible.
  • Wired systems are better, but they're not really an option for my daughter.
One camera seems to work great if it is connected to the router by an ethernet wire (for both power and to convey the data), but that won't work for her due to where the router is (and it can't be moved).

My daughter and I agree that all she needs is a security camera she can monitor from her cell phone, which also records what is going on in case she needs to show the cops an intruder's image.

There's a Ring camera which does that. There's an Amazon camera, and a Blink camera. Etc. All have terrible reviews, bugs, etc.

I don't see anything really reliable without getting into wired systems or expenses she thinks beyond her means. Of course, I will help her, but her vote counts here and counts a lot.

Maybe it doesn't matter thought because...

upload_2019-3-21_7-38-57.png

We have also found and fixed a possible means of entry into the apartment. Well, I didn't find or fix it as she's is off at college, but it's fixed. It was a panel (and not an obvious one at all because she and her roomie had looked hard to find if there was one) allowing access to the attic area, above an upstairs closet. The panel is now screwed shut. Apparently the landlord knew all along about this but didn't want to secure it as it allows him easy access if he needs to fix something. It was certainly a major hole in the security of the apartment as that space is common to other apartments. My guess is this is was the likely point of entry. If so, the problem should be solved now.

I am still looking for a security camera for her and a system for my house.

Happy shaves,

Jim

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'd be furious if I had a landlord coming into my apartment through some frappin' secret hatch without my knowledge. Check the lease. Typically, a landlord has no right of entry absent a default or emergency or (perhaps) notice. I certainly hope that's all it was, but I'd be very suspicious of what in the world was going on in the first place.

For your daughter, it still may be worth putting a camera in. The only one I have any experience with is the Ring stick-up camera. It's good but not great, not particularly cheap, but it does a decent job. The subscription is only $3/month (or $30/yr), so there's that.

For your home, you probably have a number of home security installers in your area. Get quotes and plans from a couple or few of them. ADT and Brinks pretty much own the monitored security market, so be prepared to deal with them.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'd be furious if I had a landlord coming into my apartment through some frappin' secret hatch without my knowledge. Check the lease. Typically, a landlord has no right of entry absent a default or emergency or (perhaps) notice. I certainly hope that's all it was, but I'd be very suspicious of what in the world was going on in the first place.

For your daughter, it still may be worth putting a camera in. The only one I have any experience with is the Ring stick-up camera. It's good but not great, not particularly cheap, but it does a decent job. The subscription is only $3/month (or $30/yr), so there's that.

For your home, you probably have a number of home security installers in your area. Get quotes and plans from a couple or few of them. ADT and Brinks pretty much own the monitored security market, so be prepared to deal with them.

I do not think the landlord was coming into the apartment. If so, they have a key.

I think the intruder was someone messing with the girls' heads. Gas lighting them. Moving stuff around. Loading or unloading the dishwasher. Leaving ink stains on the bedspread. Weird stuff. Creepy stuff.

Still, the landlord knew the attic access panel wasn't secure. Didn't tell the girls it existed (and it was far from obvious; I had them look for one and they didn't see it).

Anyway, now it's closed and screwed closed. Can't be opened from the attic without a crowbar or something (a saw). Obviously someone can always get in if they're willing to do things of that sort.

I believe we'll get a camera. Thanks for the vote on the Ring.

Happy shaves,

Jim

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Unknown intruder through an attic/ceiling panel? That is some creepy (and alarming) behavior. I'd have half a mind to leave the panel un altered and catch the intruder(s) on camera and then throw the full weight of the law at them. Or have a personal conversation with the perp...

Disturbing stuff

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Unknown intruder through an attic/ceiling panel? That is some creepy (and alarming) behavior. I'd have half a mind to leave the panel un altered and catch the intruder(s) on camera and then throw the full weight of the law at them. Or have a personal conversation with the perp...

Disturbing stuff

I have half a mind to take a week off work, go visit, and sit in the apartment all day (being very, very quiet as I clean and oil my shotgun).

How well do you know the roommate? Have you discussed matters with her parents?
dave

I don't know the roommate at all nor her parents. My daughter has known her for a couple of years or longer. They have several mutual friends including a girl I know well enough who is entirely a great and true friend to my daughter and wouldn't steer her wrong in a million years.

The roommate thing is a longish story and not particularly contributory as far as I can tell. It's obviously possible something could be amiss there, but my daughter told me last night that one of the incidents happened when the roommate was out of town and out of state for some reason. Unless the roommate is evil and sociopathic I think this eliminates her from serious consideration as the "intruder."

My wife does know the roommate.

I appreciate your comments and concern and that of everyone who has listened to this mess and tried to help me with it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

As far as identifying the intruder, could you mount something like a motion activated game camera outside that would monitor the entry/exit locations? Maybe ask the neighbors if you could temporarily mount it in a tree or on a wall pointing to the doors/windows? You might capture footage of the intruder and be able to identify him (or her).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ive been reading this thread and really hope thus is solved. The hatch seems probable but there was no evidence of entry from that during these incidents?
From what you say i wouldn't suspect the roommate especially when she was away
The ring door bell is cheap and easy $1 a month i would get that clearly its an odd application inside but it picks up motion and videos. The picture quality isnt as good as the nest but it works for me.

keep us posted.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ive been reading this thread and really hope thus is solved. The hatch seems probable but there was no evidence of entry from that during these incidents?
From what you say i wouldn't suspect the roommate especially when she was away
The ring door bell is cheap and easy $1 a month i would get that clearly its an odd application inside but it picks up motion and videos. The picture quality isnt as good as the nest but it works for me.

keep us posted.

There was evidence of the ceiling panel to the attic being ajar; the landlord said he knows it wasn't ajar after he'd gone up there to do repairs or something before they moved in. He also said he didn't see evidence in the attic space that anyone had been through there. So, that evidence is mixed, but I really don't see any other possibilities especially since the locks were changed.

proxy.php

I'm thinking all things considered this might be the camera to get. Not perfect. Very mixed reviews. Reasonable monthly fee ($3).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
In the endits probably someone they know and hopefully harmless but i would be like you and furious. I think the ring door bell is $1 a month.

Top Bottom