What's new

Section 7 - 3, Norton 4K/8K

full

Norton 4K/8K
This is the most commonly used, discussed and recommended straight razor hone. It is a man made hone – which is manufactured by Norton Abrasives, and created by taking abrasive powder, and creating “stone” by combining the powder with a binding agent. In layman’s terms – think of it like putting sand in a puddle of glue, waiting for it to dry – of course Norton has this down to a science, and my example was extremely primitive, but you get the point. These stones come in 2 sizes, and the one you ideally want is going ot be 8” X 3” by 1”. The white side of the 4/8K is 4000 grit, and made in Italy, the yellow side of the hone is 8000 grit and made in the USA. As a “water stone” it uses water as a lubricant, and as a means to keep swarth (or metal deposits) from rendering the hone ineffective.

full

Pro’s
1.) This hone has 2 ideal grits for straight razors.
2.) This hone cuts relatively quickly – which is optimal for establishing an edge in a reasonable amount of time.
3.) Due to the size/width of the hone, you can keep the entire spine/edge on the hone at once, so you do not have to hone in the “X” pattern.
4.) These hones offer a superb value, as it is 2 grits in one hone.

full

Con’s
1.) Hone needs to be soaked for 15 minutes prior to use.
2.) This hone will need to be lapped periodically.
3.) This hone is somewhat fragile… if you drop it – it’ll shatter.
4.) This is a relatively large/heavy hone, which can make it a little cumbersome for those who prefer to hold the hone in the palm of their hand (like myself) when honing.

full

PROCEED TO THE NEXT SECTION OF THE GUIDE - Section 7 - 4, Belgian Yellow Coticule (New & Vintage)

BACK TO THE TABLE OF CONTENTS

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my primary stone for both razors and Japanese kitchen knives. It's versatility makes it well worth it's price. I've not quite gone through 1/4 of this stone in the past year of heavy use. I feel it's a must have if you plan on staying with straights.

Top Bottom